Ata Running Out Of Cash

PHX Flyer,

You mention that ATA 737NGs have HUD installed? Is this true? I will try to ask around. I wonder if anyone knows who has HUD installed. I could imagine Alaska Airlines but haven't heard of anyone else. I have never seen the system and would like to check it out.

Regards,

Johnny Gearpin

To Johnny Gearpin,

Many Alaskan Airlines aircraft do have the HUD System, as they were the first airline to get FAA approval. SW also has some ac with the HUD system as some of the 737-300s that came over from Morris Air had them, and Southwest did make a decision to purchase more or the systems after that. I am not sure of the total numbers.

All Southwest 737-300s and 700's have the hud (except one lone 700 picked up from another co.). Around 400 airplanes total. Great system. Allows hand flown Cat IIIa aproaches to 50' DH. Easy to fly, easy to see runway through HUD on min vis approaches. New hire FO's fly them easily during simulator training (to train sim partner in right seat) after just a short warm up. Just keep the two little cirles aligned and follow thrust commands--not too hard. It's made a huge difference during poor weather at SEA, SAC, LAX, SLC, BWI and many others.

johnny gearpin said:
PHX Flyer,

You mention that ATA 737NGs have HUD installed? Is this true? I will try to ask around. I wonder if anyone knows who has HUD installed.
[post="186337"][/post]​

Here's the ones I know for sure:

Alaska (737-400, -700, -900)
SWA
ATA
Horizon (CRJ and -8-400s)

Back to the thread topic...

I heard from a friend who flies for ATA that there is "a major announcement" of some sort to be made this coming week. He didn't know the nature of it--he was only told that there would be one.

Expect the announced reduction in frequencies on both mainline and C8 routes. There are only 3 segments being flown by the 757-200 after November 1st - the rest are all out of the schedule. Most C8 cities will also see at least 1 flight cut from the schedules. Employee info line is suggesting something to be announced this week - just like what you friend says. We'll see.

Have heard it will either be a Ch11 filing to getting rid of the 757-200s completely...getting rid of the 738s and flying just the 753s on charters...but the one part being left out of everything is C8.

cltvff said:
Stupid question.... what are the C8 routes? :ph34r:
[post="189861"][/post]​

C8 is the designator for Chicago Express, the wholly owned commuter operating as ATA Connection out of MDW with 17 Saab 340 aircraft.

As for the November schedule, a quick and random check of Sabre shows the following markets still operating with at least one daily 757-200 departure in mid to late November -

MDW-LAS
MDW-FLL
MDW-MCO
HNL-SFO
IND-FLL
IND-CUN
IND-PIE

And while yes, this is a reduction from the current 757-200 schedule, perhaps the reason is something innocent.... like the planes being out of service for installation of business class, or flying troops overseas..... or, maybe the rumors are true, and the planes really are gone..... stay tuned for more......