Attitude = Reality

The fact that you so deftly sidestepped my comment on personal experience is not lost on me. I give credit to Jet Tech and Ramblingray for revealing their personal standpoint even if they aren't popular. I also give them credit for not stooping to lobbing rotten tomatos at me. Although I don't agree with everything they say, at least they are relating it to personal experience. I have 19 years' experience in this industry in Flight Operations, Maintenance Operations and Ground Operations. Since your personal standpoint is so glaringly omitted, I won't belabor the point ad nauseum.
I'm not sure what you mean by my "personal experience" as it relates to the national economy. I was giving you my "personal standpoint" on the issue, which in no way should be wholly derived from my personal experience, but more by my personal knowledge on subject matter. Naturally, I work in the airline industry, otherwise I wouldn't be on this message board, and I've worked in various finance roles for about 5 years. Again, wholly irrelevant to the issue, but you oddly seem to place some sort of weight on the matter.

I take it that you'd rather base your view of the economy in terms of anecdotes that support your doom and gloom world-view rather than hard statistics. I just wanted to possibly give you some reality based information that might ease your mind as far as the economy as a whole is concerned. If you choose to ignore the breadth of information out there that critically and objectively analyzes the health of the economy as a whole, then you will be selling yourself short when it comes to any discussion on the matter.

I'm not sure what you mean by my "personal experience" as it relates to the national economy. I was giving you my "personal standpoint" on the issue, which in no way should be wholly derived from my personal experience, but more by my personal knowledge on subject matter. Naturally, I work in the airline industry, otherwise I wouldn't be on this message board, and I've worked in various finance roles for about 5 years. Again, wholly irrelevant to the issue, but you oddly seem to place some sort of weight on the matter.

I take it that you'd rather base your view of the economy in terms of anecdotes that support your doom and gloom world-view rather than hard statistics. I just wanted to possibly give you some reality based information that might ease your mind as far as the economy as a whole is concerned. If you choose to ignore the breadth of information out there that critically and objectively analyzes the health of the economy as a whole, then you will be selling yourself short when it comes to any discussion on the matter.
Well, well, well, we're finally getting somewhere. Finance. Yes, I do put weight on the matter. Everyone else here had been relating things to their personal experience except you. It's not irrelevant at all. It speaks volumes.
Just the fact you were reluctant to discuss it tells me a lot too. Management gives up their 5th amendment right when they drink the The Man's Kool Aid. (Another ancedote! BTW, last time I checked, US News and World Report wasn't an ancedote.)

Furthermore, you left other clues in the non-rev thread. That you fly to Montana frequently. (Yep, you are going there on business relating to Big Sky. BTW, PTO he doesn't have to worry about getting bumped, he's flying on a positive-space business pass.) That you know nothing of ground ops. The statistics you had on CSA's performance.

So fine, go back to your office and figure some more ways to cut. You'd better hope that ALPA doesn't strike. Then you'll end up with a crummy job keeping the books for Billy Bob's Garage in someplace like Stamps, Arkansas.

Just the fact you were reluctant to discuss it tells me a lot too. Management gives up their 5th amendment right when they drink the The Man's Kool Aid. (Another ancedote! BTW, last time I checked, US News and World Report wasn't an ancedote.)

Furthermore, you left other clues in the non-rev thread. That you fly to Montana frequently. (Yep, you are going there on business relating to Big Sky. BTW, PTO he doesn't have to worry about getting bumped, he's flying on a positive-space business pass.) That you know nothing of ground ops. The statistics you had on CSA's performance.

So fine, go back to your office and figure some more ways to cut. You'd better hope that ALPA doesn't strike. Then you'll end up with a crummy job keeping the books for Billy Bob's Garage in someplace like Stamps, Arkansas.
No reluctance, it just wasn't relevant to the conversation we were having. I don't preface every post be explaining my personal situation, since I've discussed in the past in previous posts.

Yes, I fly to Montana a lot, but not for business. All of my family lives there, and I fly stand-by just like everyone else. I'm not sure what you're referring about statistics on CSA's performance. I don't think I ever claimed to be know a lot about ground ops, other than what I have observed during my leisure travels and during my days conducting surveilance with internal audit.

I really don't have to worry all that much. Good finance and accounting jobs are plentiful in Minneapolis. I just prefer to work at NWA because I love my job and want to see us get this ship sailing again.

Chill out Peaches. I was just trying to correct a common misconception concerning the state of the economy. I'm not sure why it's shooting off into all of these other areas.

JetWreck, I know several people who contract but they never cross fellow AMT's picketlines. In fact these individuals are very angry at SCABs like you,because of the damage you're doing not only to the airline AMT's but Contract AMT's as well. Only SCAB dummies like you would help destroy AMT wages and benefits by scabbing. Can't you see you're cutting your own throat?

BTW just a thought to keep in mind here folks; something from "The-Mechanic.com" Brought to you by Peaches husband.

"Scab" this word gets tossed around this BB like no other. What is the difference between a guy working at timco and a guy working O.T. while his so called "union" brother is on furlough. Are the overtimers not helping keep their "brother" on the street? Just like the timco mechanics? If the end result is a mechanic not being able to work due to another mechanic working his hours at his carrier that furloughed him, what is the difference? The damage is the same so if you work O.T. You are helping deny a "union" brother the chance to return to their previous employer. You are a scab! Same as replacing a guy on strike. You are denying someone a paycheck due to your greed. Otherwise let's stick to what a scab is, a person replacing a striking worker. If you use it otherwise look in the mirror and repeat after me, "I too am a scab". Unless of course you never work overtime.

Surveilance? What exactly were you doing, audit-wise?
Mostly related to excess luggage charges (overweight and/or too many pieces). We observed all of the check-ins in a few of the larger stations (LAX, JFK, NRT) for a week at a time to come up with an estimate of the revenue leakage that was occurring due to excess luggage waivers. It was a very eye-opening experience, and it gave me an added respect for what our CSA's have to go through on a day-to-day basis.

That audit transitioned into a more under-cover type operation where I would fly all over the country as a revenue passenger with excess bags to spot audit compliance with the excess luggage collection policies. This gig pretty much sucked, as you can imagine dragging 3 overweight bags around the airport all day. I drew the short straw on that one.

Naturally, I work in the airline industry, otherwise I wouldn't be on this message board, and I've worked in various finance roles for about 5 years. I just prefer to work at NWA

Peaches husband here again....

Hummmm, Lets put this in perspective....

Finman = Finance manager = Bean counter = suit.... Employment? at NWA....

That's right folks... a real live member of that elite group that has brought you such wonderful things like... years of mis-spent money...... pay cuts for the rank and file..... Bonuses for management and executives... and so many other wonderful things.....

I really don't have to worry all that much. Good finance and accounting jobs are plentiful in Minneapolis. I just prefer to work at NWA because I love my job and want to see us get this ship sailing again.

I'm glad to hear that the sky in your world is so rosy. But it can darken quickly with storm clouds of hate and discontent when your co-workers realize that it's your job to increase the bottom line. Since SOP in Corporate America is to do that by extracting a pound of flesh from it's rank-and-file employees, MSP might not be the best place to hang around. After all, they aren't going to be too pleased with the person that helped fill the company larder with all that flesh.

I own a spa. I do massage, hypnotherapy and retail/wholesale spa supplies. I have no employees. Doing well? Well that would be debatable...financially, not really, but as far as job satisfaction, for sure! Sounds to me like you pay fair, the main debate on this board is that is the hypocracy of the corporate board telling employees they must take cuts while taking huge bonuses for themselves. Clearly, you are not doing that.

I am glad you are satisfied with your new profession. You do have a point. I pay myself the same bonus that each employee makes (As it relates to our incomes) However, my point is that I am in complete control of my employees and I am willing to do that. My employees are everything to my company. They work very hard for me and get rewarded in return. However, if someone was telling me what to pay, how many to pay etc., and constantly filing greviences and negotiating who I can get rid of, forget it. They would not make nearly as much as they do now. I pay well and get good employees. As far as I am concerned, there are way too many deadbeats that the unions protect. That in turn hurts everyone else in the union. With the influx of foreign goods, we need to team ourselves with productive employees. Not ones that hide behind the union card.

The union has tried to organize my 4 locations on three different occasions. The closest they ever got was 7 yes to 46 no. Bottom line - Treat the employees great, They are more productive and always maintain control over the hiring practices of your work force. Everyone wins.

I am glad you are satisfied with your new profession. You do have a point. I pay myself the same bonus that each employee makes (As it relates to our incomes) However, my point is that I am in complete control of my employees and I am willing to do that. My employees are everything to my company. They work very hard for me and get rewarded in return. However, if someone was telling me what to pay, how many to pay etc., and constantly filing greviences and negotiating who I can get rid of, forget it. They would not make nearly as much as they do now. I pay well and get good employees. As far as I am concerned, there are way too many deadbeats that the unions protect. That in turn hurts everyone else in the union. With the influx of foreign goods, we need to team ourselves with productive employees. Not ones that hide behind the union card.

The union has tried to organize my 4 locations on three different occasions. The closest they ever got was 7 yes to 46 no. Bottom line - Treat the employees great, They are more productive and always maintain control over the hiring practices of your work force. Everyone wins.

Delta had that philosophy once. Unfortunately no more. They are just like all the rest now.

BTW just a thought to keep in mind here folks; something from "The-Mechanic.com" Brought to you by Peaches husband.

"Scab" this word gets tossed around this BB like no other. What is the difference between a guy working at timco and a guy working O.T. while his so called "union" brother is on furlough. Are the overtimers not helping keep their "brother" on the street? Just like the timco mechanics? If the end result is a mechanic not being able to work due to another mechanic working his hours at his carrier that furloughed him, what is the difference? The damage is the same so if you work O.T. You are helping deny a "union" brother the chance to return to their previous employer. You are a scab! Same as replacing a guy on strike. You are denying someone a paycheck due to your greed. Otherwise let's stick to what a scab is, a person replacing a striking worker. If you use it otherwise look in the mirror and repeat after me, "I too am a scab". Unless of course you never work overtime.

I agree. That's why I haven't worked a single hour of overtime since the layoffs occurred at AA.

Peaches husband here again....

Hummmm, Lets put this in perspective....

Finman = Finance manager = Bean counter = suit.... Employment? at NWA....

That's right folks... a real live member of that elite group that has brought you such wonderful things like... years of mis-spent money...... pay cuts for the rank and file..... Bonuses for management and executives... and so many other wonderful things.....
You're just a touch off base. I have only been with NWA for 5 years, and as such have not worked my way up to a level that makes the decisions you reference. Those are executive level decisions. You might want to add "pay cuts and job cuts for management" to your list as well.

It's nice to have you back Princess. I would be willing to bet that you didn't work overtime before the layoffs. You sure have been quiet lately.

Wrong again PTO. Before 9-11, I worked as much O.T. as I could. Sorry for being quiet PTO, I've been sharpening my knife and spears. They were getting a little dull after all the heavy usage the last few months.

You're just a touch off base. I have only been with NWA for 5 years, and as such have not worked my way up to a level that makes the decisions you reference. Those are executive level decisions. You might want to add "pay cuts and job cuts for management" to your list as well.

<<chuckle>> Maybe it's time to trade in that abacus for a whiz wheel......