AW Pilot Uniform

FLYAWAY

Advanced
Dec 27, 2003
It would appear that the uniform police are about to reappear in the east..just wondering.. are the hat and the jacket are required in the west?

The uniform police really is need here at US East. Many of our employees have collectively flipped a bird to the company where this is concerned.

I know we are all over the current uniform, but wash and iron the darn things. And alittle starch on the shirts would help. And until I read it, we still wear ties.

It has gotten out of hand. Worn correctly, our uniform is ok, but there is NO room for error.

Hats suck.

I'm not in the military, I'm an airline pilot.

I don't drive The Love Boat, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not bald and ashamed, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not a helicopter landing pad, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not a spokesman for Frisbee, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not the skycap, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not a portable awning, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not Capt. Demerest from Airport, I'm an airline pilot.

Could it save money to just eliminate the uniform and establish dress standards? Management seems unable / unwilling to enforce uniform wear.

Hats suck.

I'm not in the military, I'm an airline pilot.

I don't drive The Love Boat, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not bald and ashamed, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not a helicopter landing pad, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not a spokesman for Frisbee, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not the skycap, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not a portable awning, I'm an airline pilot.

I'm not Capt. Demerest from Airport, I'm an airline pilot.

It's probably a generational thing but color me old school.

I grew up wanting to be an airline pilot.

The pilots I "grew up" around and admired were:

Dan Roman in the TOA DC4.

Ernie Gann in the DC-3 and DC-4.

Countless unknown Airline Pilots in the terminals at MDW ORD MIA ATL where, as an airport kid, you could just hang out and watch airplanes and their crews.

They were all wearing their hats and shiny shoes. Their ties were snug and their uniforms were tailored and sharp.
They all made time to say hi and talk to the kids that wanted to be in their shoes someday.

In my eye they were airline pilots personified.

If your company manual calls for you to wear your hat, it's part of your job to do so.

By the way, I'm bald and proud to say I've been an airline pilot for 30 years. And I still wear my hat.

I grew up wanting to be an airline pilot.

The pilots I "grew up" around and admired were:

Dan Roman in the TOA DC4.

Ernie Gann in the DC-3 and DC-4.

Countless unknown Airline Pilots in the terminals at MDW ORD MIA ATL where, as an airport kid, you could just hang out and watch airplanes and their crews.

They were all wearing their hats and shiny shoes. Their ties were snug and their uniforms were tailored and sharp.
They all made time to say hi and talk to the kids that wanted to be in their shoes someday.

In my eye they were airline pilots personified.

If your company manual calls for you to wear your hat, it's part of your job to do so.

By the way, I'm bald and proud to say I've been an airline pilot for 30 years. And I still wear my hat.

N924US,

Thank you! Airline pilots should look like airline pilots, not a pack of slobs.

This just baffles me. Same goes for the rest of the employees. If one can't even work up the effort for good grooming, it does call into question about how neatly they do the rest of their job.

I send a kiss for the top of your bald head!

Dea

If I remember right, jackets and hats are required during during winter months until the time change occurs again. US West pilots have an optional leather bomber jacket that they can wear, it looks nice, but it strays from the traditional look quite a bit. I think Southwest Airlines started that trend.

i think jetBlue started the whole no hat trend. but then you can have facial hair at jetBlue as well.

i think jetBlue started the whole no hat trend. but then you can have facial hair at jetBlue as well.

Thats not quite correct. For a few years now, hats are optional at CAL during the summer months.

Of course no one would disagree that the entire operation looks better if your uniform is worn correctly. That being said I firmly come down on the side of no hats. Now that I've said that its ironic because I wear a baseball cap on the flight deck and if its miss placed the operation stops until I can secure it. I also wear a Kangol most of the time outside of work--as a matter of fact the only time that I don't wear it is during overnights.

Of course I've never considered any of the above before. Just might need to step back and evaluate the entire thought process.

I find the hats amusing. Reminds me of Ralph Kramden driving the bus. It's day has come and gone. They serve no purpose and they are a nuisance to carry and try not to lose somewhere. After being at an airline where the hats have been optional for a while, only the newly upgraded Captains, for some psychological reason, wear them and some old timers. They're a nuisance to have to carry around. The only thing more dumb then actually wearing them is seeing all the pilots at the airlines where they are a required uniform item, CARRYING them or having them under a strap on their wheelies.

I can see why its mostly the newer generation of pilots that hate hats. after all the hats represent the old airline way of life, when pilots carried respect with them, when you actually wanted to wear the hat as a badge of honor (for lack of a better word) as a previous poster has said. When people looked up to pilots in the airports with admiration.(I did anyway) Now many of the newer pilots have no respect for the profession or what it used to stand for. Management certainly has no respect for any of us, nor do many of the pax. Pilots are now almost embarrased to wear the uniform that was once the source of so much pride.
I am certainly not for running around in a uniform on days off, but how do you feel when you have to stop for gas on the way to or from work? Do you strip off all identifying marks? Why? The job has changed, and most of it is for the worse. It would be very nice to bring this profession back from the levels it has sunken to.

Hats are good for something...I mean on the layovers where else can you keep your ID, Change, Wallet, Listerine Oral Care Strips, Watch, Money Clip, Condoms, and not forget them in the morning?

You have been an airline pilot for as long as I have been alive! As someone from a different generation than you, I am proud to say I still wear my hat and am totally ashamed of my fellow "age peers" or anyone else who doesn't dress the way they are supposed to. I want to build a time machine and go back to the days when you began.

And to the rest of you who just wear your uniform any old way you want for whatever crazy reason you dream up, you can always quit if you don't like it.

Hats are good for something...I mean on the layovers where else can you keep your ID, Change, Wallet, Listerine Oral Care Strips, Watch, Money Clip, Condoms, and not forget them in the morning?

If these attributes had been listed earlier, I wouldn't have a problem with my hat. I've been enlightened! I'll have it with me for saturdays show - scramble eggs and all.