B6, New Cities ??????????

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/16/2002 1:47:07 PM AAG2000 wrote:

Is that based on any concrete information, or is it purely conjecture? It's true that there is always plenty of demand for seats from JFK to SDQ, but aren't there additional costs associated with international service? I thought that was why Southwest has never expanded beyond the borders of the U.S., but I could be wrong. I would expect JetBlue to follow WN, and keep expanding domestically until all opportunities within the U.S. have been exhausted. As of now, B6 can do plenty of "connecting the dots" within its existing network--without even adding any new cities.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Hmm... interesting. Some of the non-flying job openings on their site require a passport. Not sure what there is to read into that.

I also think it makes sense for them to look into YYZ, YVR, YUL, etc. -- especially before the Tango's and JetsGo's (or whomever may be around after a few months) gain further inroads into the U.S.

I agree...if they could get gates at YYZ and/or YUL for service from NY, that would be great. I am not aware of any low-fare competition in those markets.

While I am sure that Neelman is all to familiar with Canada (Westjet) I doubt that he is willing to go head to head with Air Canada for the low yeild NY to Toronto/Montreal flying. Tango/Air Canada is already flying YYZ-LGA with plenty of frequency, as is AA.

YVR makes more sence. You have the Alaska Cruise traffic in the summer and the Whistler skiing in the winter. The problem is most every other airline traveling into YVR is fighting for the same pax. Can a full Airbus do JFK-YVR in the winter with PDX as an alternate(can't rely on SEA being open all winter)

American and Air Canada have plenty of flights from NY to Toronto, but Tango does not. The fares tend to be fairly high. I believe Canada 3000 flew to EWR for a while, but obviously no longer.

As for YVR, Air Canada flies from JFK with an A319, and Continental from EWR in the summer with a 737-700. I assume an A320 could do it too, especially since JetBlue operates JFK-SEA all winter long. That could be a good candidate for a redeye, but keep in mind that Cathay Pacific carries passengers on the JFK-YVR segment of its HKG service. They often have extremely low fares in order to fill a 747 that would otherwise be half empty, meaning that there is a form of discount competition on the route. With personal video monitors AND hot meals, no less!

Although I am interested to hear about the prospect of SDQ, I still think we will see more connecting the dots, like LGB-FLL, FLL-SJU, and LGB-DEN, before any new destinations. But that's just a guess on my part.

Maybe they use Tango aircraft as substitutes, but the Oct. 1 Tango schedule definitely does not include LGA: http://www.actimetable.com/Tango.pdf

You sure you're not thinking of Jazz? They are AC's regional subsidiary, not a discount operation, and recently started operating BAe 146's on the LGA-YUL route.

I don't know about JFK-YVR in winter with an A320. Evidently a 319 can do it, but I'm not sure what the range tradeoff is with the 320. Either way, I don't see it as a likely new destination for JetBlue.

I see Tango aircraft at LGA all the time.

AA just got gov approval for a code share with Cathy, today. So much for that empty 747.

Flying to SEA is one thing but into YVR against the winds carrying extra weight(Skiing gear) using an alternate that is further and still meeting legal IFR reserves, is what I am wondering.

The difference between JFK-SEA and JFK-YVR is 28 miles. Headwinds should be similar, not sure why you guys think that this is insurmountable.

Meanwhile... UA flies A320s on BOS-SFO... Which is 255 miles longer than JFK-YVR. Ok, the headwinds might be slightly different... but probably not too bad...

Having said that, its probably a non-issue anyway. JB still has lots of USA destinations to pick from. A few choice Caribbean destinations wouldn't be bad either, especially since JB has no problem taking on AA...

Thanks for the A320 info.

I agree YVR just doesn't make that much sence.

What about IAH? I don't think anyone is servicing it from JFK. LUV does Hou out of ISP, CAL does IAH out of EWR, AA does HOU out of LGA but I am pretty sure that you need to go over the river to get to IAH.

CO has tons of flights to IAH from EWR, LGA, and even a couple from JFK. The only flights from the area to HOU, however, are the 2 AA nonstops from LGA. So HOU might make more sense, although I'm not sure if any gates are available there. Speaking of Texas (and taking on AA), though, what about DFW? While we're at it, other major hubs lacking low-fare competition to/from NY include DTW, MSP, STL, MEM, and CLT. Of course, each has its pros and cons. Who knows what tricks Neeleman has up his sleeve...

[blockquote]

What about IAH? I don't think anyone is servicing it from JFK. LUV does Hou out of ISP, CAL does IAH out of EWR, AA does HOU out of LGA but I am pretty sure that you need to go over the river to get to IAH.
----------------
[/blockquote]

IAH seems like a likely choice and one that I have heard kicked around (but not recently). If the grapevine is accurate, it seems like SAT or AUS have been more likely in the near term as a TX city to be served. No facts on this, just hearsay.

If you go to SDQ don't forget Casa DE Campo/ La Romana. The Virgin Islands would be nice too. How about ST. Maarten?

Jet Blue should serve Montreal and Toronto plus Ottawa and Quebec City. Since they fly to Burlington and upstate New York this would just be a continuation of their business model.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/18/2002 1:07:30 PM G4G5 wrote:

Thanks for the A320 info.

I agree YVR just doesn't make that much sence.

----------------
[/blockquote]
LUV does not serve HOU nonstop from ISP. They tried nonstops to HOU from PVD, but CO came in and added IAH nonstops. Now neither airline offers nonstop service from PVD to TX. LUV does not currently fly nonstop from anywhere in the northeast to HOU.

I purchased a non stop ISP to HOU over the summer for my aunt. Maybe they CXed the route but they were flying it(recently)