Ba Calls For Us Airline Closures

WNJETFIXER

Advanced
Aug 27, 2005
BA calls for US airline closures

Rod Eddington, the outgoing boss of British Airways, has complained that the US unfairly protects its airlines.
Speaking at an industry meeting, Mr Eddington said that "America, the land of the free, is turning itself into the land of the free ride".

Four of the biggest US airlines are in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, which effectively allows them to keep flying while they sort out their finances.

Mr Eddington said there were too many airlines and some needed to close.

Busier skies

"The world does not need 300 airlines," Mr Eddington explained, adding that a number of airlines are "operating in protected markets".

"They exist because of political demand," he continued. "They are hoovering up public funds and they still can't make a profit."

BA Calls For Airline Closures

Mr Eddington, who retires from BA at the end of this month, estimated that "in the last four years, the US airlines have soaked up $15bn to $20bn [£8.4bn to £11bn] of public subsidies and loan guarantees".

He said there was enough business for between 10 and 20 major airlines worldwide, and that takeover rules need to be relaxed to make consolidation easier.

The comments came during one of Mr Eddington's last engagements at the helm of BA, and after Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines filed for Chapter 11.

The two firms joined United Airlines and US Airways, which already had filed, and their action now means that four of the seven biggest US firms are seeking protection from their creditors.

Airlines worldwide are having to cope with increased competition from low-cost carriers and surging fuel prices.

The former boss of Aer Lingus, Willie Walsh, will take over from Mr Eddington.

of course if BA would give some slots at Heathrow Airport as well as AA, then may be some US carriers could go in there as well as LGW. I guess he cant say much about that can he?

Which also goes to show that he expects NW and DL to be significant competitors as they come through and out of bankruptcy. If you are at DL or NW, you should consider it a compliment that he feels threatened.

WorldTraveler said:
Which also goes to show that he expects NW and DL to be significant competitors as they come through and out of bankruptcy.  If you are at DL or NW, you should consider it a compliment that he feels threatened.
[post="305259"][/post]​
Please, what are you smoking? Delta Maybe, it's a long shot but NWA?? NWA will be in the same position they are now in a couple of years.

WNJETFIXER said:
Please, what are you smoking? Delta Maybe, it's a long shot but NWA?? NWA will be in the same position they are now in a couple of years.
[post="305303"][/post]​

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WNJETFIXER,

Not if NW(somehow) becomes part of AMR, they WON'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You remember AMR ?? AA/DFW/Wright Ammendment(That WON'T be overturned any day SOON)/ !!!!

NH/BB's

robbedagain said:
of course if BA would give some slots at Heathrow Airport as well as AA, then may be some US carriers could go in there as well as LGW. I guess he cant say much about that can he?
[post="305255"][/post]​

That's just what LHR needs... more transatlantic carriers. In view of capacity dumping by some US carriers onto the transatlantic market it's a good thing Bermuda II is in place.

Eddington is outgoing so he will say anything, he doesn't care. Our BK laws might be weaker then than some of the EU's, but isn't the US where we give people a second chance. I think that is why this country gots its start. I think when you start talking about another country and their problems, you should focus on yours first. Tell Eddington to "ZIP IT!!" Just my thoughts...........

coolflyingfool said:
Eddington is outgoing so he will say anything, he doesn't care.  Our BK laws might be weaker then than some of the EU's, but isn't the US where we give people a second chance.  I think that is why this country gots its start. 
[post="305690"][/post]​

I never heard that this country was started as a means for individuals to walk away from their responsibilities.

I think when you start talking about another country and their problems, you should focus on yours first.  Tell Eddington to "ZIP IT!!"  Just my thoughts...........

Now lets just step back and look at that statement.

Someone from a country that invades other countries at will, a country that claims to support free speech, and recently accepted million$ in aid from other countries, is saying that before someone from another country talks about other countries problems they should focus on their own problems first and "ZIP IT"!

Hmm. Good advice, how about leading by example?

The fact is if BK wasnt such a scam we would not have many of the problems we face.

Back