BAD COMPANY BAD POLICIES

still_my_dime

Feb 1, 2008
:angry:
Some months ago, we booked a round trip business class flight on Delta: NY – Madrid – NY. The booking was in conjunction with a one way “small boat†cruise. We planned to stay at the destination for a few extra days and fly back to Madrid to catch the flight home. Last week, the connecting flight (not on Delta) was cancelled.

Our travel agent and cruise manager told us that, to catch the Madrid flight, we would have to cut our final stay and waste a day to overnight at the Madrid airport. Alternatively, there was a connection to a Delta London – NY flight on our day of departure that would work.

Unfortunately, Delta demanded a $600. PER PERSON penalty and rebooking fee for the London – NY flight because the connecting cancellation was not Delta’s “responsibilityâ€.

Continued discussions between Delta and the travel and tour agencies (both major companies, booking thousands of flights per year) were useless.

Emails from us brought the following response from Delta:

“We fully understand that everyone faces unique circumstances and adversities. We have received numerous requests for waivers and exceptions, and there has been no simple way to address the various situations. As a result, we established a consistent policy that ensures that Delta is equitable to everyone who travels with us. Accordingly, we must respectfully decline your request.

Basically, they are saying that the only way they can be fair to everyone is to reject all claims.

Can you imagine what your life (and the world) would be like if every company, service or organization – the IRS, credit card companies, health care companies, retailers, the court system, etc. – were like Delta Airlines?

We think these are bad people. This is a bad company. Their attitudes and policies will eventually destroy them.

We are not changing our flight so, while they received absolutely no additional money, they still managed to antagonize the real decision makers - a major travel agency and a tour company. They also prompted this and other public postings.

Perhaps Delta’s official motto should be:

"We turn off people one request at a time!"

You spent a lot of space describing how one company (Delta) wouldn't fix another company's decision to cancel a flt. You spent no space describing what you asked of the other airline, and what their response was. Like it or not, Delta's response was industry-standard. You would get the exact same outcome by asking any other airline to make an exception just for you. You could then be pissed at every airline, or you could direct your anger where it belongs.

You spent a lot of space describing how one company (Delta) wouldn't fix another company's decision to cancel a flt. You spent no space describing what you asked of the other airline, and what their response was.

Their response was that they had cancelled all their direct, non stop flights to Madrid. They would book us on another flight with a plane change at the same price but it would arrive later in the day and we would have to go a day earlier to make the Delta flight Alternatively, they would give us a full refund and we could make other arrangements.

Their response was that they had cancelled all their direct, non stop flights to Madrid. They would book us on another flight with a plane change at the same price but it would arrive later in the day and we would have to go a day earlier to make the Delta flight Alternatively, they would give us a full refund and we could make other arrangements.
Try obtaining their "contract of carriage" (I'm not sure if foreign airlines even have this). The airline that cancelled your flt. may be liable for the extra $ Delta will charge. In any event, when you purchased your tickets (on both airlines), certain rules applied, whether you were familiar with them or not. I can understand your frustration about what has happened, but not your disbelief that those same rules are now being applied.

Sorry about your experience, but I also don't think it was Delta's problem to fix. You had a contract for DL to fly you from NY-MAD-NY. DL and you agreed on a price. You paid the fee and DL agreed not to sell your seat to a later, possibly higher bidder. At the last miniute you said I don't want to fly MAD-NY, I would rather fly LON-NY. DL's reaction was fine, but flexablity has a cost. As others have said don't throw DL under the bus. I'll bet the policy on AA, CO, UAL or anyother of our competitors would have been the same.

Sorry about your experience, but I also don't think it was Delta's problem to fix. You had a contract for DL to fly you from NY-MAD-NY. DL and you agreed on a price. You paid the fee and DL agreed not to sell your seat to a later, possibly higher bidder. At the last miniute you said I don't want to fly MAD-NY, I would rather fly LON-NY. DL's reaction was fine, but flexablity has a cost. As others have said don't throw DL under the bus. I'll bet the policy on AA, CO, UAL or anyother of our competitors would have been the same.

You took the words out of my mouth!!

I thought Business class fares are refundable? At least that's the way it used to be wen I was in res 10 years ago. When did that change?

I thought Business class fares are refundable? At least that's the way it used to be wen I was in res 10 years ago. When did that change?

Maybe if you didn't sit behind a desk in crew scheduling all day, you could learn a thing or two about the airlines.

I got curious and dug up my old notes from res. It looks like carriers are offering round trip C/F fares which have penalties on them. I looked at AA's fares and we have a RT fare NYC-MAD on Iberia code share where the change penalty is $500. DL does not have the fare rules listed in SABRE. They refer to something called 'Note 16RF".

From the sounds of it your travel agent booked the tickets separately (probably saved a few buck up front), but as a result, the over the water carriers (DL) is not responsible for any changes on the inter-continental flight. When I worked res I always advised my passengers to ticket everything together. Yes it would cost a few bucks more but if things go south (as they did for you) it can end up saving you money because the over-water carrier is the one who is responsible for the ticket. Most did not becasue it had never happed to them and all they saw were dollar signs. It's like insurance. You spend money on it in the hopes you never need to use it.

Passengers such as your self always made us laugh. Something happens which has nothing to do with our carrier and yet you expect me to fix it. I remember I had a lady call up one time. Admitted that her soon to be husband accidentally threw away 6 tickets. She seem really nice and the fact that she admitted that she screwed up impressed me. Most would blame it on us some how. The replacement cost was $50-$75 or so. I thought about it for a bit and AA was doing well at the time so I figured I'd be a nice guy and split the cost with her. My co-workers we telling me to have her eat the whole cost but that just did not seem like the right thing to do and perhaps my gesture of good will would affect her next purchase. The b1tch had the nerve to be upset that I was not eating the whole cost. Came real close to telling her to stick it and pay for all 6.

The bottom line is you and your travel agent bet on the wrong horse. You asked DL for a favor. Given that all the carriers are fighting tooth and nail for every penny they can get their hands on, they told you no. Accept responsibility for your actions and move on. So you don;t fly DL anymore. Some other carrier (like AA) has pissed off one of their passengers and we will trade them for you. If you have miles on DL then you will stay with DL because you know that their fares/service is as good/bad as any one else's. If DL has a non-stop and AA has a connection, you will have your butt firmly planted in a DL seat. Statistics prove it time and time again.

Delta added a 50-day advanced purchase bizelite fare a couple years back with some restrictions. It was pretty popular with adventure tourists who have money to spend (typically couples in their 50's and older). Not sure if they still have that exact fare but that is one example.

I looked at the fares and it seems they still exist. I guess even the wealthy will opt to save a few dollars if offered the opportunity.

Back