Blizzard? Pfffft...No AA cancellations in NYC

Aug 19, 2002
The JFK
www.usaviation.com
So I'm watching the weather channel, I see UAL has basically canceled operations at IAD for the day, CO has canceled flights at EWR, jetblue has canceled over 150 flights in NYC and then I see "No American Airlines Cancellations in New York City".

Seriously? Not expecting any impact on the operation? It's snowing 2-3 inches per hour in Baltimore, that storm is cruising up the East Coast but somehow AA doesn't think getting crews and aircraft stranded in NYC is a bad idea?

Performance Leadership in action. :blink:

A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM EST SUNDAY.

INTENSE LOW PRESSURE TRACKING UP THE COAST TODAY INTO TONIGHT
WILL RESULT IN A PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW AND HIGH WINDS ACROSS LONG
ISLAND. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 15 INCHES WITH LOCALLY
HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED. WIND GUSTS OF UP TO 50 MPH ARE
POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY LATE THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH TONIGHT. THESE
STRONG WINDS ALONG WITH THE HEAVY SNOW WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES
TO UNDER A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES...AND CAUSE SIGNIFICANT BLOWING
AND DRIFTING OF SNOW. :shock: :shock:

AA doesn't care. It's not about customer service anymore. :(

I've been waiting all day for this blizzard to start here in Bergen County,NJ yet all we have had is a dusting and now it is not even snowing. What gives? Maybe the powers that be know what they are doing for once.

Weather Underground is reporting zero accumulation for NYC. So is NOAA.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NY/New_York.html

24hr-1219200912z.png

Sometimes you roll the dice and hope the storm isn't as bad as it's supposed to be. We were supposed to have snow in ORD on Wednesday, and it didn't show up until Friday at about 1900.

So let's see how it is tomorrow.

The city that's funniest (to me, anyway) is Dallas - if anything ends up on the ground that's even barely white they roll up the sidewalks and go home.

Weather Underground is reporting zero accumulation for NYC. So is NOAA.
Here on Long Island, about 15nm east of JFK, I measured 11" on my patio table at 11pm on the 19th. Looking out my window now (9:20am) I'd guess 18 to 22, but I'll get a better estimate when I start digging us out.

How's the flight schedule, guys? I miss my Sabre access.

MK

Here on Long Island, about 15nm east of JFK, I measured 11" on my patio table at 11pm on the 19th. Looking out my window now (9:20am) I'd guess 18 to 22, but I'll get a better estimate when I start digging us out.

How's the flight schedule, guys? I miss my Sabre access.

MK

The first flight out of JFK this morning is SDQ which is leaving around 1130. GRU and EZE were pushed back from last night to today and leave around noon. Nothing has left JFK since last night. All morning flights were canceled.

Guess the weather forecast was right.

With all the cancels today, I'm guessing extra sections tomorrow, because there's a lot of people traveling right now...

With all the cancels today, I'm guessing extra sections tomorrow, because there's a lot of people traveling right now...

This is the one time that makes me happy I'm not flying (either as a crew member or pax)

Were flights cancelled today or not? This a difficult thread to understand.

Were flights cancelled today or not? This a difficult thread to understand.

Yesterday, AA operated most trips until around 8-9pm when the snow got heavy enough for the Port Authority to cry "UNCLE", thus AA cancelling and some RON'ed which operated today.

I think it was a good move on their part since the heavy snow started later in the day with a handful of trips left to go. We still felt the effects today, but not nearly as bad as if they cancelled more trips yesterday before the snow even began.

Good for AA, yes. Fewer people to reroute and rebook.

I'm hearing some people from Sunday who booked on DL and B6 can't get reconfirmed any earlier than Tuesday... If you're running 70% LFs, canceling an entire day is risky but perhaps manageable. At 85% LF's, it's suicidal.

Latest posts