Bloomberg: Delta will likely order 100 739ERs this week

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-22/delta-air-lines-said-to-plan-order-of-100-boeing-737s-in-rebuff-to-airbus.html

Bloomberg speculates that the planes would replace the oldest 757s and MD-88s. We'll see.

we'll see as in what they will replace or if the order will happen?

DL did say it would place an order before the year is out.
Supposedly there are alot of 320s that will run out of time in the next few years.. if so then the 739 is a step up in average seat size even if the order is split between 320s, M80s, and 757 replacements.
Since these appear to be NG - not new engine 737s - I suspect Boeing dropped prices to very low levels in an end of the line sale before the new engine models arrive.
The lower CASM of the 739 might offset the benefit of a lower CASM smaller aircraft such as the 320neo - at lower acquisition prices.

Reactions: 1 person
Order for 100 narrowbody jets may be put off until 2012, says Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-24/delta-air-said-to-defer-order-of-100-small-single-aisle-jets-until-2012.html?cmpid=yhoo

The 739ER order is official now and note that DL says it will be for replacing 757s, 767s, 320s, but not M80s.
Much of DL's leased fleet has lease expirations coming up in 2013-2014 which is 6-7 years after DL left bankruptcy. Presumably, the combination of the age of the aircraft that will be replaced coincide. Since the M80s/D9s are structurally capable of flying for 30 years or more, perhaps DL intends to renew leases on the M80s likely at even lower rates than what DL pays now. Because the M80s typically fly east coast business market routes with lower rates of connections, it is quite likely that DL is able to make money with that fleet type even though it is one of the least fuel efficient... or perhaps the Cseries or Ejet order will be made with the intention of replacing the M80s. Since Boeing Bombardier and Embraer are likely capable of supplying whatever amount of aircraft DL might want, there isn't a need to hurry... plus the product offerings continue to evolve.

"As a result of maintenance efficiencies and a 15 to 20 percent improvement in fuel consumption per seat, the Boeing 737-900ER will have lower unit costs than the older technology Boeing 757 and 767 and Airbus A320 aircraft that it will replace."

It should be noted that DL's 739ER deliveries come just as its $2B international fleet renewal project winds down, after the ATL, LGA, and JFK terminal projects (current phases should be completed), and that at a max of 20 aircraft per year, DL's capex outlays should be about $1B per year, similar to levels it has been spending which has allowed it to reduce its debt levels.
DL's 739ER purchase seems just enough to replace what has to be replaced with the lowest cost alternative available. DL says the aircraft replacements will be capacity neutral and would still leave DL in a position to order an all new narrowbody should Boeing offer it 5-10 years from now.

Reactions: 2 people
[You know WT, had you really wanted to discuss facts you would have started out that AA recently announced the largest plane order with a split order between Airbus and Boeing and to make sure you got all of the facts in there to have a really good discussion you would have put in there that UA announced 500M in fleet commonality upgrades. You forgot to mention that WN pretty much nixed going to Airbus and is waiting for Boeing to make up their minds. Seems that you really don't want to have a decent discussion that DL's 100 plane order is superior to AA's new fleet plan. You surely don't don't want to be accused of being a hypocrite now do you?

[You know WT, had you really wanted to discuss facts you would have started out that AA recently announced the largest plane order with a split order between Airbus and Boeing and to make sure you got all of the facts in there to have a really good discussion you would have put in there that UA announced 500M in fleet commonality upgrades. You forgot to mention that WN pretty much nixed going to Airbus and is waiting for Boeing to make up their minds. Seems that you really don't want to have a decent discussion that DL's 100 plane order is superior to AA's new fleet plan. You surely don't don't want to be accused of being a hypocrite now do you?
I'm guessing what isn't to Delta's advantage isn't WT's view B)

Although all legacy network airlines saw their stock prices decline today, Delta's percentage loss was the largest of the pack at 5.79%.

Looks like the Street wasn't impressed by DL's order.

Retreats in airline shares today were attributable to the impending hurricane and the cuts in service.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-airlines-cut-flights-due-rb-2994271972.html?x=0&.v=1

JFK based B6 lost a larger percentage that DL which combined is the largest airline on the NY side of NYC.

Retreats in airline shares today were attributable to the impending hurricane and the cuts in service.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-airlines-cut-flights-due-rb-2994271972.html?x=0&.v=1

JFK based B6 lost a larger percentage that DL which combined is the largest airline on the NY side of NYC.
WT, Slow Down Dude, yer giving us a headache. Please explain your last statement so that at least I can understand it. B6 & DL are combined? And, what side of NYC> North, South, East or West, or is NY a direction of its own? I'm not trying to be funny here but just trying to grasp what you are trying to say!

I might be wrong, but B6 is still the biggest airline at JFK, and UACO is the biggest in NYC when you combine all three of the Port Authority airports that share the pricing point of NYC...

By splitting hairs in ways that only WT can, I gather from your quote above that he's now conveniently omitting EWR entirely, and combining only LGA & JFK in order to make the claim that DL is the biggest "on the NY side of NYC".... Hogwash if you ask me, since EWR is closer geographically to virtually all of Manhattan than JFK is, and far easier to get to.

If I remember, his previous attempts at proving DL has the biggest dick involved treating UA and CO as separate airlines (despite being part of the same holding company with the same senior management), yet had no qualms about including DL* traffic in the DL totals, since that is all DL branded service...

My apologies if I've gotten the math wrong, but all the spin in his posts makes me so dizzy that I might have misinterpreted slightly....

QA4,
hopefully you've had a cup of coffee and a few Tylenol by now...

First, the response was in relation to FWAAA's flawed assumption that Wall Street didn't like DL's 739 order based on the stock declines in the market.
I noted that in fact the reason was that analysts (you know those ones who live in NYC and know exactly where all 3 airports but consistently choose - along with the rest of NYC - to fly out of LGA and JFK more than out of EWR - all of the top markets from NYC are larger out of LGA and JFK than EWR) feared that the impending storm could have implications on DL's revenue more than AA or UA.... apparently they know which airports NYC passengers prefer to fly and which airlines will be more at risk if those airports are closed.
Regardless of the logic, Wall Street perceives the storm to be a greater risk to LGA and JFK.
But it also doesn't change the fact that there are a group of folks here who are desperately trying to paint DL's 100 airplane order in the same light as AA's mammoth 450 plane order - which was on top of 50 more widebodies on order..... and which Wall Street is concerned is too much for AA - but which they have not expressed that same fear for any other airline.
And yes, E, CO and UA STILL report to the DOT as separate airlines... we know they are one company but their DOT reporting remains separate.... and there has never been any attempt to include regional carriers for one carrier but not the other...
if your headaches persist, go lay down....

I wonder how many of the stock and financial analyst that do the financing and trading of the majority of the stock really care which airport is closest to the NYC side of the city or which airline has a bigger market share of each particular airport. I think they care only about the interest rate they're gonna get.

If I were the banker who gave the ok give DL the money for 100 new planes or AA the money for 450 planes, I think that I would have my own Challenger 601 over at Teterboro on call and leave JFK, LGA, EWR to the masses.