Body Art And The Flight Attendant

hannah1211

Feb 11, 2004
Hello,
I am interested in beginning a career as a flight attendant. I am a 22 year old female and in great physical and moral shape but I have one question... I have some tattoos and body piercings, is this automatically disqualifying for employment.? What are your thoughts, feelings, and/or company policy on females with body art. Do you or any of your female flight attendant colleagues have tattoos or piercings? if so, how well does the average uniform cover them, etc....Thanks in advance from an aspiring flight attendant!!!
-Hannah

Pierced eyebrows, lips, tongues or any part of the body other than the ear would most likely get you disqualified. Same for any tatoo that cannot be covered by a uniform.

I was just recently at an iterview where it was discussed...They only want one pair of earrings on the Ear Lobes ONLY !!! As far as Tatoos.... They will need to be covered if they show anywhere while in uniform. I know a few girls that had tatoos on their Legs, Ankles and would simply cover them with a Bandage... This is acceptable !!! Hope that helps........... GOOD LUCK !!!!

Also, be aware that if the tattoo can not be covered with a band-aid or something similar, it is not an option to simply wear opaque hosiery. I know that you see flight attendants wearing navy blue hose or similar in uniform, but that is not really regulation, and if the tattoo shows with regular fleshtone hose, it will disqualify you from any airline I know of.

I've been to several interviews with other airlines, and since there are so many f/a's out of work through furloughs and still so many people wanting to try the job, the airlines have gotten VERY strict with their grooming standards. The one hole per ear in the lobe only rule is really being enforced. I know one airline that said they allowed only plain gold circle type pierced earrings that did not dangle in any way.

Also, don't even think of showing up to the interview in anything other than conservative business dress--a navy blue or black suit is best with a white blouse or shirt and a conservative tie. I saw a young man recently who had on a very nice navy blue suit with a fire-engine red shirt and no tie. Mistake!

And, don't be like the young woman I saw at an interview recently who had fingernails that were over 4 inches long and decorated with elaborate designs. I heard her say to a friend who was admiring them that she knew she would have to cut them if she got hired. She did not even make the first cut.

I know that you see flight attendants on the airplanes every day who are obviously violating the grooming standards of their airline, but those are people who have completed probation and are protected to some extent by their union. As an applicant, you do not have the same freedom.

Now that everyone has thoroughly discouraged you, good luck. It's a great job if you can get hired. :D

Of course if you had your little kitty cat pierced the interviewer might take a differrent point of view. :up:

AA has been known to make applicants remove them if they want the job, that's only if someone sees them. When you go to an interview make sure you only have 1 earring in each ear, no tats showing (cover with a band-aid or make-up) and no lip, nose, tongue or eye brow piercings (if your kitty is pierced you don't have to remove it). Just remove them prior to your interview.

I have a tattoos on both of my upper arms. They don't show in my short sleeve uniform shirt, except when I reach for something.

You could get hired by AA Eagle.... I know 2 girls that showed up in JEANS...

I made the cut and when I was getting my "Medical Done" There they Were !!!

Colby said:
You could get hired by AA Eagle.... I know 2 girls that showed up in JEANS...

I made the cut and when I was getting my "Medical Done" There they Were !!!
Gee, thanks a lot, Colby. With 5 passenger commendation letters and 50+ SOS cards to my credit in less than 3 years at AA, the fact that they got hired and I got turned down by AE gives me a really warm, fuzzy feeling. :D

Hey, they may have been in Jeans...But they were YOUNG and didn't know what an American Eagle "OPEN HOUSE" Consisted of. Im trying to give them a Break !!

I'll tell you one thing...I would have been REALLY worried if some of the other people made the 1st cut.... This lady and her Boyfriend looked like they were Chicago "Street People"... Hey, Kudos for them Trying to find a Job... Then this girl sitting next to me was freaking out over the "Drug Test" <_< ..... HMMMMM

Hey, I've been turned down by 5 other Airlines..So, I was Ecstatic when I made the cuts !!! It's kind of funny~ the one interveiw I went into with a Whatever happens attitude is the One I got..... GO FIGURE !!!!!

Jim-

We are seeing the same attitude as ex-US people at the Express carriers (we have ten of them) and at other airlines... no one wants a "mainliner". Its meanness and jealousy (misguided, I might add). Oh well. Hopefully we'll all bounce back and thats when karma kicks in.

hannah1211, in my last job I did interviews at a very very large well known airline. I wasn't doing pilot or flight attendant interviews, but the jobs were for security related departments. I would be willing to help you out. If you e-mail me photos of yourself and the "tats" and peircings. I would look at them and let your know if they would pose any problems with employment. Be sure to not have any clothes covering them. Ok? Also, If you have any girl friends that would like me to do the same for them I would be happy to help out.
Just doin my part.

Latest posts