Boeing in the Catbird Seat

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
Boeing in the Catbird Seat

Company is chairman of the creditors' committee for bankrupt Delta Air Lines

Analyst: For Boeing, "It's Monty Hall and 'Let's Make a Deal,â€￾ The new US Airways could cancel the A350 order, given the unanticipated delay in filling it, and commit to buying new Boeing aircraft in an effort to gain support for a Delta takeover.

Analyst: "I think Boeing's inclination will be to favor whoever can give them the highest number of airplane orders going forward. I think it will be a cold, hard business decision."

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

According to Ted Reed, US Airways has a mainline fleet of 359 aircraft, including 196 Airbus narrowbodies from the A320 family as well as nine A330s. Nevertheless, US Airways executives have made the case that they are not bound to Airbus.

"I wouldn't characterize us as being in the Airbus camp today," said President Scott Kirby, during the Nov. 15 analyst conference following the announcement of the takeover bid. "We have a number of the 737s and 757s and in fact are working with Boeing, and they've been extremely helpful in working with us on a replacement aircraft order."

USA320Pilot comments: As I indicated earlier, US Airways is in discussions with both Boeing and Airbus for aircraft orders, which include B737-800, A320 family, and widebody aircraft. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds considering Boeing is chairman of Delta's Creditors Committee.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

with huge delays in the A350 orders, is it possible that may be US might get a deal break with Boeing for sy 787 or 737-new generations?

USA320Pilot comments: As I indicated earlier, US Airways is in discussions with both Boeing and Airbus for aircraft orders, which include B737-800, A320 family, and widebody aircraft. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds considering Boeing is chairman of Delta's Creditors Committee.

Regards,

USA320Pilot [/font]

Yo 320, I posted basically the same info here. Do I get quoted as an astute individual?

USA320Pilot comments: As I indicated earlier, US Airways is in discussions with both Boeing and Airbus for aircraft orders, which include B737-800, A320 family, and widebody aircraft. [/font]
I remember you posting that, which I thought was ludicrous at the time. Now the picture is much clearer.

Now the picture is much clearer.
I wouldn't count on that, whlinder.....

First, Boeing will probably get no vote as a secured creditor as long as DL presents a POR before their period of exclusivity expires (currently mid-Feb). BK law provides that a vote by the secured creditors is not required - they are presumed to be in favor of the debtor's POR.

It's only in their position as an unsecured creditor (which could be very small since DL hasn't rejected their aircraft orders) that they will have a say, and a decision to make. There, the decision will be whether to support the company that's been a purchaser of only Boeing mainline airplanes for over a decade or the company that's bought from whoever gives the best deal or hands over the most money (and that hasn't been Boeing).

Jim

Yo 320, I posted basically the same info here. Do I get quoted as an astute individual?

Haven't you realized by now that HE has to report EVERYTHING first. Even if you start a post(as ETOPS did about the creditor meetings...he had to post it again as if it were his breaking news) he will start it again as his.

Haven't you realized by now that HE has to report EVERYTHING first. Even if you start a post(as ETOPS did about the creditor meetings...he had to post it again as if it were his breaking news) he will start it again as his.

Sure I have. But I feel I am compelled to twist his tail when he tries to expand his ego further and further and make us read about how wonderful he and his sources are.

I remember you posting that, which I thought was ludicrous at the time. Now the picture is much clearer.

:D

According to Ted Reed, US Airways has a mainline fleet of 359 aircraft, including 196 Airbus narrowbodies from the A320 family as well as nine A330s. Nevertheless, US Airways executives have made the case that they are not bound to Airbus.

"I wouldn't characterize us as being in the Airbus camp today," said President Scott Kirby, during the Nov. 15 analyst conference following the announcement of the takeover bid. "We have a number of the 737s and 757s and in fact are working with Boeing, and they've been extremely helpful in working with us on a replacement aircraft order."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I just read in the New York times that Boeing is being very careful to not repeat its history for promising too many aircraft and not being able to deliver, as they did in the mid to late 90's. According to the article, anyone not currently on order is being told, too bad. I wondered at that time where that would leave US if we decided to purchase Boeing over Airbus, which I hope we do. Below is the link to the article;

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/28/business...amp;oref=slogin

Anyone have any comments?

I wouldn't count on that, whlinder.....
I meant "clearer" as to why on earth US would be sniffing around 737-800s. That made absolutely no sense then, but now makes sense considering Doug wants (I guess) to merge with DL, and they have 738s.

The overall picture on this transaction is far from clear, especially to peons like me.

Back