Bomb Threat on AA flight

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
The mid-day news both on the NBC and the ABC affiliates here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area reported a bomb threat (note found on the airplane during flight) on an American Eagle flight from DFW to CMH. Problem: the ABC affiliate reported that "when the a/c landed it was directed to a remote part of the CMH airport, and all 133 passengers (!) were safely evacuated." The video on both stations clearly showed an MD-80 (and it was not stock footage; it was supposedly straight from CMH airport).

Anyone know any other details of this incident?

Eagle, lol. How do they make a mistake that glaring.

I also don't think the plane was "evacuated" at least in the sense that you or I would call it

Never knew that american eagle had md 80s that would be one large express plane! Glad all are safe

I sent an email to the TV news departments about the error. One of them replied that at the beginning of the incident the Port Columbus (?) police had told them that it was an American Eagle flight. They (the station) has since corrected their report.

good job, Jim.

while people in the airline industry are quick to point fingers at the media, it is precisely because they cannot be experts at everything that they do make mistakes. Like good people in all industries, admitting you are wrong and correcting your mistakes says more about your character than whether you got it all right the first time.

My buddy called me last night and told me there was a bomb threat down in Miami on a 777 aircraft. No details. Seems like it did not make front page news. Anyone else hear anything about this? Just curious.

Back