Booked AA Economy but got Basic Economy

Karsten Heil

Sep 27, 2018
I booked a flight from SFO to Helsinki on aa.com (it's a code share operated by Finnair). I'm quite sure that I booked Economy and not Basic Economy. The confirmation email states "Class: Economy (N)" for the first flight and "Class: Economy (Q)" for the return flight. The confirmation email makes no other statements about booking class or baggage allowance. Upon trying to manage my flight on their website a big box popped up informing me about the rules for Basic Economy.

I called AA twice but they maintain I booked Basic Economy and refused to look at or discuss the their confirmation email with me. Does the confirmation email constitute evidence that I booked Economy and not Basic Economy? Thanks!

Finnair doesn't have a basic economy type of service/fare.

You'll be in a standard economy seat with the same amenities that anyone else who booked an economy seat would get. They also have an economy plus type of service with more legroom and some amenities. It's nothing like Premium Economy, but it's a very slight upgrade from standard economy. I suggest you contact Finnair to confirm your seat and ask any other questions about restrictions on your fare.