Boston mechanic Gets CDD for ground damage

AA-MRO.COM

Senior
Mar 12, 2012
Heard today that a mechanic in Boston got a CDD after pushing a plane out of the hanger and damaging the wing tip. Investigation results claim he was not trained on the tractor he was driving.
Check your MQ* and make sure whatever you operate is in your training if not walk.
The new American Airlines is here.

There are rumours that someone didn't chock a 77W properly and that the jetway damaged the boarding door of the plane.   Any truth to that?   

Reactions: 1 person
FWAAA said:
There are rumours that someone didn't chock a 77W properly and that the jetway damaged the boarding door of the plane.   Any truth to that?
Yep. Picked it up last weekend and brought over to dwh. L2 door damage. Back in service yesterday afternoon.

AA-MRO.COM said:
Heard today that a mechanic in Boston got a CDD after pushing a plane out of the hanger and damaging the wing tip. Investigation results claim he was not trained on the tractor he was driving.
Check your MQ* and make sure whatever you operate is in your training if not walk.
The new American Airlines is here.
What is a CDD?    Thanks.

and that was due to fleet service at DFW, right?

the incident in BOS was due to maintenance?

from those who know, is this really a change or these the types of mistakes that happen because people who do make mistakes are involved?

I know people at the "old AA" who received disciplinary actions for aircraft damage.

It is, unfortunately, part of the business.

Hope all involved overcome it.

Real tired said:
What is a CDD?    Thanks.

Career Decision Day = You get no more chances, its a letter put in your file which you sign stating that if you mess up again you are Gone.

Not sure but I think it stays for 2 yrs, at that point it gets pulled.

This is what gives a union a bad name - no on in management makes someone damage an aircraft - I'm sure this was an accident and the person should be in trouble to damaging the aircraft - going straight to this being a new day at AA is over the top - I'm sure the employee involved is upset at their mistake and giving them a warning to say - hey you need to watch these things or we can't keep you is approriate

Would you feel the same if you had a Dr that kept making mistakes and no one did anything and something bad happened to you - you would be upset - that's why every industry has to deal with issues when errors occur

thanks... it does sound like AA is not unique with this policy.

Some accidents are avoidable, others are not.

Since many accidents can be avoided with improved procedures, I have to agree with you that some improved focus on safety is needed.

I'm not sure if in the long run it really works or if you create people who are too afraid that will get canned and so become timid.

Do you two think this policy works at making people more careful - at any airline?

jcw said:
This is what gives a union a bad name - no on in management makes someone damage an aircraft - I'm sure this was an accident and the person should be in trouble to damaging the aircraft - going straight to this being a new day at AA is over the top - I'm sure the employee involved is upset at their mistake and giving them a warning to say - hey you need to watch these things or we can't keep you is approriate

Would you feel the same if you had a Dr that kept making mistakes and no one did anything and something bad happened to you - you would be upset - that's why every industry has to deal with issues when errors occur

That's why they have malpractice insurance.
To go right to a CDD is ridiculous. The perfect world mentality at this place is astonishing. Every time you move an aircraft there is always the possibility of an accident. Its just like getting in your car sit happens. I tow this junk around everyday at least 3 times a day been doing it for 22 years but now when I wreck something I get a CDD. Ridiculous. better yet let someone else do the driving from now on. The only people who get in trouble around here are the ones doing the work I guess your better off doing as little as possible so as not to lose your job....This place is out of touch with reality.

jcw said:
This is what gives a union a bad name -
No, what gives the union a bad name is if this was that individuals first incident and allowing the company to issue a CDD. We use to have a step process...

Reactions: 4 people
AA-MRO.COM said:

That's why they have malpractice insurance.
To go right to a CDD is ridiculous. The perfect world mentality at this place is astonishing. Every time you move an aircraft there is always the possibility of an accident. Its just like getting in your car sit happens. I tow this junk around everyday at least 3 times a day been doing it for 22 years but now when I wreck something I get a CDD. Ridiculous. better yet let someone else do the driving from now on. The only people who get in trouble around here are the ones doing the work I guess your better off doing as little as possible so as not to lose your job....This place is out of touch with reality.

That's 75% of my co-workers!

Thanks for the definition.

Here at US in PIT, it kinda always depended on who you were.

We've had guys tag many a tip, put jacks through the belly and nothing was ever said.

Then we had someone forget to chock, the plane rolled, he was fired after a hearing.

He finally got back, but was placed under what US calls a "drop dead letter" for an amount of time the company sees fit.

But blow a slide, and it's 5 days off, no questions asked.