Buddy Passes / non-rev travel question: cost

surferdance

Mar 28, 2010
My friend just started working for #@*%# as a flight attendant. She told me she could get me UA "buddy passes" to Europe this summer. She sent me an email to tell me the prices. In her email they appear to cost twice as much as American Airlines d3 passes. ie: they are basically the same as discount tickets that pop up now and then. Is this the current state of affairs for non-rev travel?

Two points:

1. AA's D3 passes for Europe travel are not that much less than a discount ticket that would have a confirmed seat.
2. AA D3 passes for International travel are not available during the Summer travel season. There is an embargo on D3 travel every year from about June 1st until September 1st (or maybe Labor Day).

I would urge you to look not at what any particular airline charges for non-rev space available (NRSA) travel on International flights in the summer vs. another airline's NRSA charges, but rather look at what any particular airline charges for NRSA vs. a confirmed seat discount coach ticket. Besides as with AA, I would be surprised if buddy passes are even available on United during Summer travel season.

And, with the capacity cuts that all airlines have made, assuming you manage to obtain a buddy pass on United, plan to spend a day or two in your departure hub (probably ORD) trying to get on a flight. My base manager and her husband went to Italy in late September last year on AA--not exactly what you would call high travel season. She had to ride the jumpseat all the way to Rome from ORD because there was only one seat available on the flight; so, they put her husband in it, and she rode the jumpseat.

Well, she got me two listings. Great deal$$ too. She had given me RT times two. She is new to the airlines. btw we are going to FRA direct from IAD and there are 3 direct flight each day (two 777's and a one 767).

I checked the loads. coach is roughly half full. business class is almost empty on the seat maps for all 3 flights and we are 3 months away so having worked for AA for 3 1/2 years I am pretty sure we will get to where we are going. I am a seasoned non-rev traveler and have done over 150 flights and always got to where i was going the same day. oh wait, i got stuck in ORD once. well, thats ORD and well, there was a foot of snow on the runway and sleeping cots for confirmed passengers everywhere... i was forced to stay at the Hilton for the price of a Red Roof Inn (AA discount). In all seriousness I know the ropes and love non-reving. I was just worried about the price for a moment. THANK YOU EVERYONE. Thank you for all your help!!!

quote name='Kev3188' date='04 April 2010 - 01:35 PM' timestamp='1270402558' post='738648']
I agree.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I even gave one out...
[/quote]

Two points:

1. AA's D3 passes for Europe travel are not that much less than a discount ticket that would have a confirmed seat.
2. AA D3 passes for International travel are not available during the Summer travel season. There is an embargo on D3 travel every year from about June 1st until September 1st (or maybe Labor Day).

I would urge you to look not at what any particular airline charges for non-rev space available (NRSA) travel on International flights in the summer vs. another airline's NRSA charges, but rather look at what any particular airline charges for NRSA vs. a confirmed seat discount coach ticket. Besides as with AA, I would be surprised if buddy passes are even available on United during Summer travel season.

And, with the capacity cuts that all airlines have made, assuming you manage to obtain a buddy pass on United, plan to spend a day or two in your departure hub (probably ORD) trying to get on a flight. My base manager and her husband went to Italy in late September last year on AA--not exactly what you would call high travel season. She had to ride the jumpseat all the way to Rome from ORD because there was only one seat available on the flight; so, they put her husband in it, and she rode the jumpseat.

Being Honest??

I'd consiult the web first!! at $380.75 Round Trip?? For a BUDDY pass?? unless you're going to a funeral?? I can't see it!!
Adding that you might be a few days LATE in getting there!

Being Honest??

I'd consiult the web first!! at $380.75 Round Trip?? For a BUDDY pass?? unless you're going to a funeral?? I can't see it!!
Adding that you might be a few days LATE in getting there!

Is the non-rev fee at United a flat rate for any cabin?

Is the non-rev fee at United a flat rate for any cabin?

No ot goes by cabin and destination distance, also, connecting cities are paid for individually.
i.e. IAH-HNL on United would require you to go IAH-ORD,/ORD-HNL, OR IAH-LAX/ LAX HNL so you'd pay for each leg indivdually depending on where you sit. We don't charge for economy as of April 2010. and because of our performance incentive passes I haven't paid for a seat ANYWHERE in a LONG time.. we only charge for First Class on a 3 class airplane
(Mainly the 747-422's,777-222's 767-322's and the premium service 757's. as not all 757's have 3 cabins) I'm sure it because the premium cabins still enjoy full service. I'm sure CAL's are nice too.

Keep in mind that United buddy passes are boarded by seniority. Getting a buddy pass (BP9) from a low time employee is not great. You have to go through all the BP (boarding priority). So if you are the employee on vacation you are BP8, and within BP8 the passengers are boarded by seniority. BP6 is retirees.... BP3 is company employee on business travel.

So, on a buddy pass with a low time employee you really may have to wait for a seat....and IAD or ORD to FRA is always really full......