Business/First Class Travelers - Your input Appreciated

AirlineBurger

Apr 2, 2018
First off let me say that I grew up poor and have spent most of my life not even being able to afford to fly, let alone blow 6x the price on a first class ticket. I invested in Bitcoin in 2012 and so now my life is a bit different. So when I proceed with my complaining below, please do not assume that I'm some out of touch douche. :)

-----

TLDR: I am interested in knowing which domestic airlines have more impressive first class and business class "arrangements" because American Airlines is just not justifying the cost for me.

-----

Hello people who travel Business and First Class (hopefully on many different airlines) often. I have a question for you. I am currently living in Puerto Rico and have been visiting my home in San Diego frequently since the move. This means I mostly get American Airlines to Miami or Dallas, and then on to San Diego. I know United and possibly Jet Blue is another option.

I am overwhelmingly unimpressed with the American Airlines Business and First Class. And there's only one reason for that: I've seen how other airlines do it. Singapore Airlines, KLM, Emirates, etc. If I am going to pay $3,000 for a ticket I could have paid $400 on the same flight, I expect to have more than just a slightly wider seat and a shitty meal with a strong synthetic/plastic aftertaste. 80% of these flights have no TV screen whatsoever, nor any electric plugin. Some will have TV screen in the ceiling like its still 1997. And very very few will have a TV in the seat-back.

Those are no-doubt the upgraded planes they talk about often. But even those seats and amenities are bare-bones in my opinion.

While you may not be familiar with which airlines are on my exact routes, I am interested in knowing which domestic airlines have more impressive first class and business class "arrangements" because American Airlines is just not justifying the cost for me.

Thanks

When speaking of FC/Business class, it is unreasonable to say you don't care for the domestic product, and then compare that product to International airlines. Of course, International F/C is swankier than domestic, but then the flights are 4-6 times longer and the prices are accordingly higher. Also International airlines such as Emirates can afford to offer a better product because they are subsidized by their home governments.

None of the domestic airlines has a truly impressive Business Class (most don't use the term First Class anymore). It's a bigger seat and less ambient noise than in coach. You are not going to get gourmet meals that make you forget the upper east side restaurants in Manhattan. It's food. Obviously not to your taste. But remember, the meals are cooked in advance, frozen, and then reheated on the airplane.

If you feel like you are being ripped off, you might try booking Premium Economy. Most AA a/c have PE now which gives you more leg room and a power outlet at every seat (if I remember correctly). And. the PE seats are in the first few rows of coach; so, you'll get off the airplane fairly quickly.

Also, use the 24-hour advance check-in feature on AA.com. You can select not only the seat you want (if it's not already taken by another early check-in customer, but also, if it is a meal flight (in Business Class) the website will tell you the 2 entree choices and you can select the one you want. (And, you don't have to worry about whether they will run out of your choice before they get to your row. The catering is adjusted to the online requests. They start with something like 10 chicken entrees and 6 pasta entrees (for 16-seat Business class). If they get 12 requests for chicken, the catering is adjusted to 12 chicken and 4 pasta.) Then you can print out your own boarding pass which means you don't even have to talk to the ticket counter agents unless you have bags to check.

Now, if you are still expecting Emirates level service and amenities on a domestic airline flight, you are guaranteed to be disappointed. Most of the existing domestic airlines just barely escaped going out of business after 9/11. That you even have a choice in airlines is a reason to be grateful.

Last edited:
Flights from PR to San Diego won't have much in the way of options for much more than standard domestic business class. The best way for you to find out is to try UA and DL and decide. You'll find the seating is similar on the typical aircraft flying routes like SJU-XXX-SAN. If you want to fly into LAX instead of SAN, then try AA's widebody service that operates MIA-LAX with true international business and first class seating. Last I checked it was only 1 flight per day on the 777, so that may or may not fit your schedule.