CAL Employees To Stand Trial For Concorde Crash

Tug McGroin

Senior
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
PARIS — A French judge ordered Continental Airlines and five people to stand trial on charges of manslaughter for the 2000 crash of a Concorde jet that killed 113 people, a prosecutor said Thursday.

Two of the individuals to stand trial are employees of the U.S. carrier, said a statement from the office of Marie-Therese de Givry, prosecutor in the Paris suburb of Pontoise.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25508979

Now, how does this work? Is France going to try and extradite these guys? Or use U.S. rendering procedures?

And, how long does the warranty on a fabricated part last anyway?

Now, how does this work? Is France going to try and extradite these guys? Or use U.S. rendering procedures?

And, how long does the warranty on a fabricated part last anyway?

What about the french airport workers that were meant to inspect the runway proir to concord taking off?
and
Air France workers that didn't maintain their concord to the same standards as British Airways?

There were many things that lead to that crash, but it is eaiser to blame an American carrier.

How did a reverser seal fall off on take off anyway? Shouldn't it have fallen off on Landing?

What about the french airport workers that were meant to inspect the runway proir to concord taking off?
and
Air France workers that didn't maintain their concord to the same standards as British Airways?

There were many things that lead to that crash, but it is eaiser to blame an American carrier.

How did a reverser seal fall off on take off anyway? Shouldn't it have fallen off on Landing?

and

Hi The foreigner

Sorry messed up in my first effort

I totally agree with you in that I think the part did not fall of at T/O, and probably dropped off at landing.
1/ I know that the CO DC10 landed on the north side of CDG and the accident happened from one of the south side runways, but being there at that time(but not that day) I know that FOD was common around the airport. Equally I would not be surprised that if it had been lost in landing (that day?), it was not dragged across the airfield by other aircraft.

2/ The ADP (Aeroport de Paris) had not done a runway inspection that day. How many other times has that happened.?

3/ The MX practice of using stainless steel for repairs was common in the British aviation many years ago. The mechanics in Manchester basically carried on a custom and practice. I have to admit that I have been a recipient of there products, and was not impressed ( 13 Pireps on a delivery flight after a month in the hanger) But do I smell scapegoats.???.

4/ There were two walk rounds carried out on the DC10. One was 2nd officer, and the other was the contract mechanics. I knew the mechanics, and these were serious guys. None saw anything abnormal.

5/ Some other thoughts on the subject. Concorde and its design was not to blame. It was built when FOD was taken seriously. Do airport authorities give FOD training to the ramp workers? Not to the best of my knowledge. Many of the PAX that died were German and recently I worked FRA ramp. From the taxiway I’ve picked knives, fork, bolts, ball bearings, locks, and lumps of wood. Plastic security seals are just thrown on the ground. CDG was no better. All this might not have been an issue if CO had not listened to the Bean-counters and kept there MX in house. But they love their MROs

best regards

Hi The foreigner

Sorry messed up in my first effort

I totally agree with you in that I think the part did not fall of at T/O, and probably dropped off at landing.
1/ I know that the CO DC10 landed on the north side of CDG and the accident happened from one of the south side runways, but being there at that time(but not that day) I know that FOD was common around the airport. Equally I would not be surprised that if it had been lost in landing (that day?), it was not dragged across the airfield by other aircraft.

2/ The ADP (Aeroport de Paris) had not done a runway inspection that day. How many other times has that happened.?

best regards
Hi Meat , wow a reply 2 1/2 years after I posted. Are things slow at World brother??? BTW the concord accident happened at Orly and the contract MX were also owners of a concord, you know who I mean. And yes they are/were good guys because we know them. Well take care and relax , don't wnat to make yourself ill,LOL say hi to all the LHR boys. later.

Hi Meat , wow a reply 2 1/2 years after I posted. Are things slow at World brother??? BTW the concord accident happened at Orly and the contract MX were also owners of a concord, you know who I mean. And yes they are/were good guys because we know them. Well take care and relax , don't wnat to make yourself ill,LOL say hi to all the LHR boys. later.
The last Air France accident I could find at Orly was a 707 back in 1962....

The last Air France accident I could find at Orly was a 707 back in 1962....
Ref Air France crashes. From the top of my head. But haven’t checked. Seem to think that there has been two A320, one at an air show. (Well known clip) Also I think an A340 at Toronto (?) a few years back. And of course the A330 in the S.Atlantic.
But then “But for the grace of God go we”
regrds

Hi Matey,
Sorry not World, although knew some of the old LGW mob. Dino and I played Ruggers together many moons ago. Then it takes longer for brain to move my fingers. Manage to find time and was surfing, came across your posting which I agree with.
Regretfully, it’s not a dead subject, least of all for the mechanics whom made the repairs. As a subject, it gets up my goat. It's not about respecting those that died, or improving maintenance and procedures, but an ego trip for the legal vultures. They were there before the Concorde wreck had even cooled. The real sad thing is how many bucks they are going to make out of this.
Couple of points, if I was unclear. I knew the MX guys who did the turn-round on the Co DC 10. And Concorde took off from CDG. I actually missed seeing the part by a few minutes although some of my friends and colleges did. That might be why I feel strongly about this subject.
May the force be with you

Thought of the day.
Lawyers, accountants, and marketing, that seem to run our industry, know nothing about aircraft or flying. Something is wrong with that picture.

I read several articles this morning. The verdict was politically motivated. The French do not want to take responsibility and are putting the blame elsewhere. It is so obvious since it has been many years since the incident occurred.

Reactions: 1 person
What? The French refuse to take any responsibility? (Despite a known problem with the fuel tanks. Known for some time.) I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you.

Next thing, you'll be hearing that the French courts have determined that the Germans did not, in fact, overrun the French forces in two different World Wars, and that it was actually the French who pulled the U.S. fat out of those fires. Not the other way around.

Reactions: 1 person
There was a simple solution that would have prevented all those deaths. On Concorde, if a tire blows on takeoff it can damage a small strip of metal that sits behind the tire. That piece of metal can rip a hole in Concorde's fuel tank causing catastrophic damage. This was a known concern. The recommendation was to tether the piece to the landing gear, so if damaged during a tire failure the piece would remain attached to the gear. BA voluntarily modified every one of their fleet. Air France did not due to cost and the fact that it was only a recommendation and not required.

Even if a part from the CO DC10 caused the tire failure, so could many other things. Tire failures are not THAT uncommon. So AF was a disaster waiting to happen. If not that day, then on some other day. It was a matter of time. Blaming the CO employee is the French finding a scapegoat. Pure and simple.

Latest posts