Cancelling Trip -- Then Rebooking

Sandy Hines

Apr 20, 2020
Maybe some of you can help me out.. I have a trip scheduled in September to Denver. Unfortunately I could not get it direct and have a quick layover. It says on my account, "You can cancel your trip and use the value of your unused ticket toward future travel on American" If I do this, when I go to rebook, say, in December for future travel.. do I A) have to go to the same location? and B) Do the names on the ticket have to be the same as they were first booked?

My example is this: Supposed to fly out to Denver in September with my father in law. Couldn't get a direct flight. I see United has a direct flight that looks better than current American flight. I have some traveling to do in December to Florida. If I cancel this current American trip, can I then turn around and book the unused value of my ticket for the Florida flight and be able to change the passengers so its not me and my father in law, but me and my wife?

Last edited:
Maybe some of you can help me out.. I have a trip scheduled in September to Denver. Unfortunately I could not get it direct and have a quick layover. It says on my account, "You can cancel your trip and use the value of your unused ticket toward future travel on American" If I do this, when I go to rebook, say, in December for future travel.. do I A) have to go to the same location? and B) Do the names on the ticket have to be the same as they were first booked?

My example is this: Supposed to fly out to Denver in September with my father in law. Couldn't get a direct flight. I see United has a direct flight that looks better than current American flight. I have some traveling to do in December to Florida. If I cancel this current American trip, can I then turn around and book the unused value of my ticket for the Florida flight and be able to change the passengers so its not me and my father in law, but me and my wife?
I’m thinking that if you call the American Airlines reservations toll free number, they will give you the exact information you seek.

"Please stay on the line and the next available agent will be with you shortly.....possibly today!"

I actually got through after about 10 minutes.

If I cancel I can use the unused ticket value for a future booking. The names on the ticket must stay the same when re-booking, though. The tickets can be booked separately and do different destinations but the name must be the same.

So for what I was wanting to use it for it won't work. Thought I found a loop hole! Guess not.