Cecil Field, Jacksonville

Justme

Veteran
Feb 29, 2004
So wow, it was sometime back in the early 80s that I flew an Army OH-58A (bell jet ranger) from Hunter AAF (Savannah) down to Cecil Field to pick up a needed part for some helicopter repair work. And having just spent the last week in west Jacksonville helping my son relocate there, I took in a few visits of the place.

Even though NAS Cecil Field was decomissioned in the 90s, it still has the distinct feeling of a military base (grew up on them and then served on them). I got the same vibes as when I visited Fort Ord, CA, about 20 years ago after it had been closed.

Here's one pic I found while looking at the history of NAS Cecil Field:

JAX_pg13.jpg

Too cool. And they had a giant, million dollar jet engine repair shop! A million bucks! I guess it had to be giant for that kind of money.

So the one thing I liked was that they seem to be building a POW-MIA-KIA Memorial that will feature the USS Saratoga (the 50s version). The launch end of the vessel will protude out into a manmade lake/pond and the amidships (did I say that right?) will be on land and covered with some kind of a roof.

This whole thing will be built next to the Navy (or former Navy?) chapel. And I kid you not, the name of it is the "Church of the High Speed Pass" :)

Current major tenants include Flightstar Aircraft Services, LSI, P&W. Minor tenant includes the Coast Guard's Hitron which way back when in the 80s was used to put a 50 cal. single shot into the motor block of those go fasts. I think our Admirals got tired of flying over them unable to do anything other than harrass them with the loudhailer :) Not really sure what that mission has evolved into over the past 30 years.

Anyway, definitely worth a visit if you're in that town and looking for a nice and very safe place to just wander around. I did a couple of 2 hour dog walks there last week.

That's all!
Larry

Reactions: Kev3188