Changes at CLT airport..

LD3

Veteran
Oct 16, 2003
CLT
Visit site
Jerry Orr has resigned his position as the Aviation Director for the city of Charlotte effective immediately.... He did state earlier this afternoon in an employee meeting that he is the only active employee of the Charlotte Airport Authority. The city of Charlotte has filed for a temporary injunction blocking transfer of the airport to an authority and the injunction has been granted...It will be interesting to see if the city brings in someone from outside or moves someone from inside to run the day to day activities...How this affects the hub operation for US remains to be seen...Whether or not anyone was a fan of Orr, he was instrumental in retaining the hub status for CLT.

It should have never been handled like this, The last city mgr and the current chief of police had a hard on for Orr, he is pushing back and bang an authority is formed...It's a couple of kids fighting, but no one seems to think how this could affect the current employees or the tenants of the airport...

Jerry Orr has resigned his position as the Aviation Director for the city of Charlotte effective immediately.... He did state earlier this afternoon in an employee meeting that he is the only active employee of the Charlotte Airport Authority. The city of Charlotte has filed for a temporary injunction blocking transfer of the airport to an authority and the injunction has been granted...It will be interesting to see if the city brings in someone from outside or moves someone from inside to run the day to day activities...How this affects the hub operation for US remains to be seen...Whether or not anyone was a fan of Orr, he was instrumental in retaining the hub status for CLT.

Does this mean the elevators, escalators, and moving sidewalk operational stats might improve?

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, mine is an official "authority" and so far management is getting raises, and employees and operations continue to be run by the city. If you know anything about red-tape, it will be some time before anything significant happens aside from the talk and drama. Just my perspective on municipal politics.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, mine is an official "authority" and so far management is getting raises, and employees and operations continue to be run by the city. If you know anything about red-tape, it will be some time before anything significant happens aside from the talk and drama. Just my perspective on municipal politics.
Management is getting raises, how typical... how are the employees handling it?

The situation-it's a smokescreen because management radified their contract and they make it look as if they are getting raises from the authority. The non-union management are worried because they don't know what their fates are. My guess is that if any cuts are made, they're it! The workers, along with me vote on our tentative contract, August 6. I can give you more info after August 1, because that is when it OFFICIALLY becomes an Authority.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/10/23/4408539/us-airways-continues-merger-planning.html#.UmjJJhCnHzM

Good article about the guy who's running the show right now in CLT. After reading it I had the impression that the rent is going to rise in the near future. No wonder DP wants Orr back....

"Interim aviation director Brent Cagle said Wednesday that he’s not focused on the controversy over who should run Charlotte Douglas International Airport, but rather on upgrading and expanding the nation’s eighth-busiest airport.

Cagle was appointed interim aviation director in July after 1 1/2 years as an assistant aviation director overseeing the finances at Charlotte Douglas...

...Cagle said he understands the need to keep costs down at Charlotte Douglas. The airport has become US Airways’ busiest hub, with more than 700 daily flights, by having the lowest cost-per-enplanement for the airlines out of any major airport.

“Our challenge is going to be how to balance our need to be conscious about price for our business partners, but also provide a good business value,” he said. “Sometimes cheap is just cheap.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/10/30/4427391/cagle-focused-on-airport-growth.html#.UnT4CPmsh8E#storylink=cpy
Cheers.

Rent should go up for everyone.... Look at the condition of the airfield, ask a ramper how many times he/she has tripped in one of the hundreds of holes in the ramp... Ask the mechanic at the hangar how much it will cost to fix the 321 that took a hit from a taxiway that blew out underneath the aircraft while taxiing... Look at the condition of the terminal...Of course DP loves Orr, DP got a check every year for approx 11 mil in revenue sharing... A lot of money is being spent on roadways and parking, very little money is spent on maintaining the heart of he business....The interim airport manager knows what needs to be done, he is no Jerry Orr, thank god...