CHARM SCHOOL

Who said you did? BTW, I'm not concerned with where you work.

I did. Then clarified... then clarified again... Then again...

That's interesting. In the first post of yours I referenced, you noted that it was "part of the culture at Delta" (paraphrasing). In fact, that was the one sentence that really piqued my curiosity in the first place. Why the change of mind?

Careful, that hubris is gonna trip you up...

I would only need point to the change in tone of your posts since I started asking; note how the more I asked, the more defensive you got. I'm only asking for clarification of what you wrote.

Tell ya what; You've said you were "done" twice now, but keep posting. Nevertheless, I've said what I need to say, and it's clear I'm not going to get the answer I seek regarding YOUR thoughts on why YOU think it's part of the "culture at DL." . You can have the last word if you want...
Argh! Thanks I will take you up and have the last word. This has been like arguing with my 16 yr. old or with North by northwest. I give up.

I have been a "Deltoid" for over 22 years,and I'm still upset about being forced to go to the VRT/pep rally.
Nice idea but shouldn't be crammed down peoples throats.
VRT started as FA only then spread like a virus,I hope this version doesn't end the same way.

I would presume you are not an FA? Why should FAs have a corner on something that works good while other customer service groups have a greater impact on the customer experience - and have a whole lot less time to "get it right?" Do you realize that while FAs might spend more time w/ customers than any other group, people rarely complain to the DOT about in-flight service. They do complain about lost baggage, being told "no" to problems which customers feel should be the airline's to fix, unreasonable charges, etc - and how frontline employees respond to those situations in many ways can be more influential in the overall customer service experience. Most FAs also are not faced with the types of issues that ground staff - esp. at the airport have to deal with.
I would hope that DL makes a PRIORITY on giving its ground staff the best customer service training as well as the proper tools (which was mentioned above as a valid issue).

From what I heard, the Velvet rope program was one of the better liked DL customer service programs and did achieve some success in turning DL's customer service around at the time. These types of rallies have to be repeated - that is just the nature of the beast; companies like Disney that have very strong customer service cultures go over it day in and day out. You are lucky that DL doesn't set aside 10 minutes before every shift to make you go through a mini-rally.

I would hope that DL makes a PRIORITY on giving its ground staff the best customer service training as well as the proper tools (which was mentioned above as a valid issue).

From what I heard, the Velvet rope program was one of the better liked DL customer service programs and did achieve some success in turning DL's customer service around at the time.

I agree with these statements,but I don't think the rest of the company should have been forced to attend (given the option of attending would have been nice).
And yes I understand everyone that works has a customer.

We are required to do Stretching exercises , at the beginning of our shift. Guess this would be considered a rah-rah session by some, but they'll be glad to know , no alcohol is provided at these stretching seminars !

I agree with these statements,but I don't think the rest of the company should have been forced to attend (given the option of attending would have been nice).
then why should the FAs have been required to attend?

I'm even less sure I understand the logic that says employee groups should be able to pick and choose what they do while on company time.

then why should the FAs have been required to attend?

I'm even less sure I understand the logic that says employee groups should be able to pick and choose what they do while on company time.

The point I'm trying to get across, I understand giving customer service personnel customer service training.
I don't see the company forcing people into AC systems classes (in fact the people there actually want to be there).

BTW,I do say yes'r mas'r when told to do what the company that pays me asks me to do(although I may not like it,that's what I signed up for).

well, Delta was fined for disability issues:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2011/02/17/delta-fined-for-disabilities-violations.html?ana=yfcpc

that's TWO MILLION reasons why charm school was necessary.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2011/02/17/delta-fined-for-disabilities-violations.html?ana=yfcpc

1Cone,
are you in maintenance? If so, then I find "charm school" to be perhaps of less value than for frontline customer contact personnel - but part of the whole experience might also be to break down departmental barriers.

The DOT disability fine is clearly not indicative of the customer experience DL should be offering but it probably says less about DL's views of the disabled and more about the lack of resources they have to meet any customer service needs. Others have pointed out - and DL has admitted - that they ran the operation with very little backup resources and limited manpower compared to what they should have in 2010 - and they still have not created alot of the operationally synergies (ie some of Kev's observations about multiple systems for the ramp)... so spending more on people and tangible assets had to happen.

That lack of resources also translated into an above average complaint ratio to the DOT - a category where DL years ago was the best in the business - and below average OT. It is worth noting that DL's baggage performance is improving showing that investment in new systems is helping - but there is still a ways to go. It is also worth noting that DL's involuntary denied boarding ratio is now one of the best showing the value that came from switching to NW's revenue management system and changing processes in that department - while sacrificing nothing in revenue performance. Good technology and processes do allow good people to do a great job.

It is interesting to note that most of the disability fine can be used for DL to spend money to improve its handling of disability services. Since DL largely contracts out those services, it is perhaps not an expenditure that DL would have spent that much money on but given that they can mitigate much of the fine by spending to hire people and buy wheelchairs, they will probably do for disability services what they are going to do for other parts of the company anyway.

1Cone,
are you in maintenance? If so, then I find "charm school" to be perhaps of less value than for frontline customer contact personnel - but part of the whole experience might also be to break down departmental barriers.

Why yes I am ,hence my screen name.
At the VRT we were broken down by "business units" and I was in the Tech-ops group.
I didn't gain that much from other areas of the company.

Now another mandatory class we had to attend was Human Factors/(tractors).
I didn't really care for that one either,but the group was very well mixed and I did learn more about different perspectives and ideas depending on what you do(so I'll give them a B+ on that one).

I would have to agree that the value was diminished if you were asked to sit with people in the same area of the company. The principles certainly cross departmental lines and figuring how to apply them might make the most sense with people in your same work areas but the value to me of interdepartmental gatherings is to be able to interact w/ people in other work areas. The reality is that people will not mix after the class if they don't know people from other work areas or have interacted in the formal part of the class.

Back