Children listed in J Class

nightice

May 16, 2014
Has anyone ever listed for, and placed their kids under 6 years old in first class? Had an issue where agent seemed reluctant to move people from coach to first to accommodate nonrevs with children. Was also the last flight of the day. Are we supposed to just pass on taking the flight or go ahead and take what's actually open, albeit in first, with kids under 6 years old?

You mentioned a reluctance by the agent to upgrade passengers to F to accommodate NRSA standby passengers; American has never upgraded revenue passengers solely to accommodate NRSA. Didn't AA eliminate the service charges for employees?

You mentioned a reluctance by the agent to upgrade passengers to F to accommodate NRSA standby passengers; American has never upgraded revenue passengers solely to accommodate NRSA. Didn't AA eliminate the service charges for employees?
Domestically, yes. Only class of service available was first on AA as AA employees. Issue was children under 6 flying up front. Was told by another agent policy changed but can't find it anywhere.

Yes, service charges based on mileage of the flight have been eliminated. Only airport taxes and fees--particularly for International flights--are collected. In fact, they made a big deal not long ago that a new policy would be that if there is a seat available in First Class, the next non-rev on the standby list gets it at no charge since service charges are eliminated. I haven't seen that policy in actual operation so far. Usually what happens is the agent upgrades a coach revenue passenger and then the non-rev is given the coach seat

You should not list the children under age 6 for F/C. From the Travel Manual: "Children, under the age of six (6) may only travel in the Main Cabin, this includes infants." That part is understood. What I don't understand is why the agent would care whether or not some "undeserving" coach revenue passenger(s) gets upgraded in order to accommodate a non-rev or non-rev and family. It may be that there were not enough vacant seats in coach to accommodate you and your family even with upgrading. Of course, I have seen some agents that choose to ignore corporate policy on such matters because they just don't happen to agree with the policy.

I've seen it go both ways myself with different agents. In the scenario above, coach was at capacity and first class had 11 open seats and 1 nonrev.
What would be nice is if there were a function in jetnet that would let pass riders list in which class each passenger wishes to travel: ie: mom and older children lists for first, then dad with younger children list for coach --- all still listed together in the same pnr. Right now, everyone chooses one or the other in the same listing.

Make more than one listing. Put all the people who want a premium cabin listing in one and put the people who only want coach in the other. Simple! That wasn't hard.