City of Dallas tells Delta it can no longer fly out of Love Field

Status
Not open for further replies.
DL is doing a great job - they are throwing MD80's into the DFW market where AA has upgraded to 737-800 and a 321 - while DL might have more flights between the cities they will be at a fuel burn disadvantage since they MD80's suck way more fuel than the new fuel efficient 737/321.  Especially with fuel prices being way down AA will have a huge profit advantage over DL

I think DL's approach is to try to make the same amount as AA on the route with just less efficient aircraft that need employees paid in profit sharing with more frequencies

Wonder what market DL pulled MD80's from to throw into this market - had to come from somewhere - must of pulled it from some other highly profitable market to lose money in the DFW/ATL market - remember DL operates with a 25% margin - you just can't see it in the financials published - they print that in white ink

The M80 is often said to be DL's most profitable fleet type due to its heavy use in business markets that are 2 - 2 1/2 hour block hour flights.

You do realize that new engines only gain a real advantage over older models when the plane is flying - and a 2 hour flight really is in the air for 1 1/2 hours at most?

The difference in fuel economy is negligible when financing costs for new aircraft are factored in.

oh, and DL has managed to keep the M80s flying without multimillion dollar fines or FAA groundings of the fleet.

The M80s will be around for a while; the 717s and M90s will be around even longer.

Of the dozens of flights at the gate or taxiing in ATL today, half or more were DC9 series aircraft.

Mine went off without a hitch or an empty sesat.

nope.

that comes under the category of "you'd have to be part of the community" to know.

feel free to ask any DL exec.

Translation:

There is no way to prove what I'm saying so it's now on a "need to know basis"

You see all the analysis done at every airline to exit the MD80 fleets have been wrong - the old gas guzzlers are a real fuel saver

See DL has 25% operating margin overseas and also on the MD80 flights - it's just the rest of the network that drags it down to around 10% margin

WorldTraveler said:
nope.

that comes under the category of "you'd have to be part of the community" to know.

feel free to ask any DL exec.
Gee, what "community" would that be?

Nevermind. It's not that serious.

...And another opportunity for a "strategic business discussion" (albeit a tangental one) swirls down the drain...

except the M80s aren't leaving DL's fleet.

apparently DL knows how to use them - and keep them safely flying.

it's the flights to Latin America that are dragging the system down right now.

good thing DL is a small fry (petits poisons) in Latin America.

or maybe, Kev, it is an opportunity for you to learn from someone who knows (it's regularly discussed among the pilots so it isn't that secret) why DL manages to keep the M80s.
the aircraft serves key business markets which are short enough that the fuel disadvantage doesn't matter and, like all Douglas aircraft, they'll fly Airbus and Boeing pilots home from the desert as they retire "newer" aircraft.

first, not multi-million and second, not Douglas aircraft.

can you post the final settlement with AA for the M80 fiasco.... plz also share the number of flights that were cxld.

(not interested in the he said/she said debates as to why it happened)

just remember when there is another SARS crisis in Asia and LATAM is booming - we trust you will be on here singing the praises of AA being in LATAM

WorldTraveler said:
first, not multi-million and second, not Douglas aircraft.

can you post the final settlement with AA for the M80 fiasco.... plz also share the number of flights that were cxld.

(not interested in the he said/she said debates as to why it happened)

Translation:  Not interested this time however happy to use he said/she said when it works to my advantage

WorldTraveler said:
or maybe, Kev, it is an opportunity for you to learn from someone who knows (it's regularly discussed among the pilots so it isn't that secret) why DL manages to keep the M80s.
the aircraft serves key business markets which are short enough that the fuel disadvantage doesn't matter and, like all Douglas aircraft, they'll fly Airbus and Boeing pilots home from the desert as they retire "newer" aircraft.
I know where we fly them, as well as all the factors that contribute to low ownership/DOC costs. I get it.

I just wanted to see a compare/contrast between it and the other NB types in the fleet. I made the mistake of assuming you had referenced one before posting. Sorry 'bout that...

Kev3188 said:
Said where?Do you have a link I can check out?
Exactly. I am sure we will not see the citation for this one too:

"The difference in fuel economy is negligible when financing costs for new aircraft are factored in."

Any link to data will do. I will not hold my breath as a very small fration of the cancerous tumor's posts have any direct citation to the data.

profitability of the other fleet types is not as widely spoken about outside of DL HDQ.

however, the notion of big, new, and highly capable does not necessarily equate to airline fleets... including at DL.

NW saw the same thing - which is why the DC9 stayed around as long as it did. The family Chevy still has the best economics including compared to the shiny new BMW.

the proof of this statement is what DL is keeping and what DL is buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts