Cockpit Jumpseat priority

ItsJustAJob

Advanced
Oct 31, 2003
I am currently flying with a first officer who was wrongly denied a jumpseat in PHX on Wednesday evening. It was on a mainline (East) red-eye flight from PHX to CLT. She works for PSA and was the first person to request the jumpseat. Another PSA pilot showed up later and was given the jumpseat because he is more senior. Everyone should be aware that the cockpit jumpseat is awarded on a first come first served basis (withinn category...i.e A1/A2/A3). The exception being if the jumpseat has been reserved (mainline pilots only). I have heard from two of the pilots on the mainline jumpseat committee and they have both confirmed that this is still the policy.
I have been told that this is being administered incorrectly at some gates in CLT too.
Those of us that commute rely upon the rules being followed correctly when we plan our commutes. If you see it being done incorrectly, please try to make it right.

There is another possible reason. When did the two of them check in? The reason I ask is that PHX has always followed a rule that it is first-come first-served, following priorities, within the hour before flight. If people check in more then an hour before flight they can still be bumped by seniority by someone more senior who is also more then an hour before flight. Once within the hour before flight it is strictly FCFS within the prioritys

Hmm...I didn't know that HP had any kind of seniority related priority with non-revving, jumpseat or otherwise. Interesting.

US East is FCFS as far as I know and always has been. The reservation system assigns the first caller as primary and the second as alternate. Check in at the gate for Express and others is as stated in another post above. FCFS in jumpseat priority.

Never heard of seniority being used for priority for jumpseat.

A320 Driver B)

Now you see the problem. It's been FCFS forever, yet some people still don't know that.

:up:

Just wanted to segue and thank those MR pilots who offer to take the jump seat so other standbys or OS's can get on. We appreciate the quid pro quo.

B)

Just wanted to segue and thank those MR pilots who offer to take the jump seat so other standbys or OS's can get on. We appreciate the quid pro quo.

B)

I guess I'll take that thank you also and so will my wife. We both rode F/A j/s so two other non revs could get on. We were one and two on the list, but I offered to ride the seats to help others. If we don't help ourselves, noone else will. Glad to help, always. Your welcome.

I guess I'll take that thank you also and so will my wife. We both rode F/A j/s so two other non revs could get on. We were one and two on the list, but I offered to ride the seats to help others. If we don't help ourselves, noone else will. Glad to help, always. Your welcome.

:ph34r:

We were on the topic of cockpit jumpseats, so I only mentioned MR pilots taking those jumpseats. That being said, the vast majority of commuting F/A's also are more than willing to take a cabin jumpseat in order to put a seat under another NRSA, regardless of the purpose of their travel. Kudo's to those that do!