Congressman Intros ‘Rangel Rule’

Tug McGroin

Senior
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Congressman John Carter, R-Texas, introduced a bill Wednesday to eliminate all IRS penalties and interest for paying taxes past due.

The legislation calls for the creation of what he calls the, "Rangel Rule," -- drawing attention to the recent legal issues of House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., enabling citizens who fail to pay taxes on time to do so later with no additional fees.

Rangel, who writes the country's tax policies, acknowledged last fall that he failed to pay thousands in real estate taxes for rental income he earned from a property in the Dominican Republic.

As of September 2008 the Harlem Democrat reportedly paid back more than $10,000 in taxes but that did not include any IRS penalties.

Carter penned a letter to Rangel earlier this month requesting that he either pay the IRS fees or join him in co-sponsoring the legislation establishing the rule.

"As Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, I believe you set an example for all American taxpayers in your dealings with the IRS, and that you must do so in a way that enforces blind justice without regard to wealth or status," he wrote in the January 6th missive.

"This legislation is unnecessary. All taxpayers currently receive equal treatment under the law," Rangel spokesman Emile Milne said.

Tax cheat and Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner wasn't available for comment but has vowed to get the US economy back on track.

It needs to be called " The Giethner/Rangel Rule " as Giethner didn't pay any late fees or penaltys due on the taxes he "FORGOT" to pay.

But as we all know, the Demorats will never stand for this because they want your money and as much of it as they can get their greasy hands on , so they can give it to people who didn't earn it ! :shock:

Where is the outrage over these kind s of behavior. There was plenty of outrage over the last 8 years and now everyone appears to be content with what is going on. Double standard maybe?

Renamed the Dem party....

Now know as the Hippocrat Party............... :down:

Sold state to the Clintons...
Gave the Treasury to a tax dodger......
Gave the White House to an undocumented alien.....
Looked the other way on Rangel....

What was it Trent Lott said??

"When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either."

And he had to step down.....

All you lefties on here....where's your damned outrage over your elected officials and not mine?

Its awful quiet in here......................

I'd have to agree that there is a double standard. I think it has a lotto do with the circumstances. Like with Reagan, we have come out of an administration what was rife with issues. In Carters case it was Iran, gas crisis and inflation. With Bush it was Iraq, lies and over 4,000 dead soldiers with nothing to show from it. Regan was so popular nothing stuck to him. His administration knowing sold arms to enemy nations. I think in Obamas case it has to do with the novelty of his presidency and the fact that he has just sat down. We all know politicians are corrupt. Giethner paid his back taxes and no one has come out and shown that it was willful so people are willing to give it a pass. In light of what has transpired over the past 8 years, the bar was raised quite a bit for what will tick off or surprise the nation.

I personally do not think Giethner should have been nominated. It's not like he is the only prospect out there. I think Rangle should have been censured or worse. I also think North should have been in jail along with Libby, and several others.

I guess we do not get what we want sometimes huh?

I think there is one thing we will "ALL" get in the near future !......................................S.C.R.E.W.E.D. !!! :blink:

We have been getting screwed for the past 8 years. Why should the next 8 be any different?

So far I am impressed with the actions Obama has taken. I'll give him a year or so to see what happens.

We have been getting screwed for the past 8 years. Why should the next 8 be any different?

So far I am impressed with the actions Obama has taken. I'll give him a year or so to see what happens.

Here are some money figures in case anyone thinks Obama is not going after your wallet.

The Louisiana Purchase: $217,000,000,000.
The race to the Moon: $237,000,000,000.
The New Deal: $500,000,000,000.
The Iraq War: $597,000,000,000.
The Obama-Reid-Pelosi Porkfest Stimulus:$1,173,000,000,000

Here are some money figures in case anyone thinks Obama is not going after your wallet.

The Louisiana Purchase: $217,000,000,000.
The race to the Moon: $237,000,000,000.
The New Deal: $500,000,000,000.
The Iraq War: $597,000,000,000.
The Obama-Reid-Pelosi Porkfest Stimulus:$1,173,000,000,000

Nice try with the cost of the war in Iraq. Let me know wen you add in the interest on the money spent on the war (we are in debt you now and you have to pay interests on money that you borrow). Then add in the veteran benefits and all the health care as well as the contract costs ... etc. I have seen estimates as high as $3,000,000,000,000.00 for the war.

Nice try with the cost of the war in Iraq. Let me know wen you add in the interest on the money spent on the war (we are in debt you now and you have to pay interests on money that you borrow). Then add in the veteran benefits and all the health care as well as the contract costs ... etc. I have seen estimates as high as $3,000,000,000,000.00 for the war.

Obama stimulus exceeds the cost of all wars to this date.

Not if you include all the other cost associated with the Iraq war. Est I have read say it is already over two trillion dollars. Some est as much as $3 trillion.

Damn

As "Black Bears" would say, "The Hits Just Keep On Coming"

Daschle's tax records under fire

The Senate Finance committee will meet Monday to review the tax records of former Sen. Tom Daschle, President Barack Obama's nominee for secretary of Health and Human Services who, according to sources, didn't pay taxes on a car and driver he had been loaned.

A Democratic source familiar with the situation told CNN that Daschle was loaned a car and driver by a wealthy friend and failed to disclose it on his income taxes, as he should have. Daschle has since paid what he owed, the source said.

$100,000 in back taxes !!

Just to think the Democrats trashed McCain for not properly vetting Palin . . . unbelievable!!