Continental Connection Commutair

Furthermore, there is probably not a route from EWR which COEX cannot fill up a 37-seat ERJ... So having 19-seaters at EWR is a complete waste.

As for expansion in the event of a US Airways failure... There are SAAB SF-340's out there for the taking, and Commutair (as CO Connection) could probably offer some point-to-point service from BOS (like BOS-BUF/ROC/SYR), maybe LGA/DCA if slots are cheap. There also may be additional opportunities from CLE as PIT shrinks. I know Commutair/CO Connection applied for (but was bot selected) some EAS markets from CLE which are currently service via PIT. As PIT shrinks, maybe Commutair's case going forward becomes stronger.

Commutair has a pretty interesting history. It started as a little airline called Clinton Aero out of Plattsburg, NY. Across Lake Champlain was an airline called Air North in Burlington, VT. Clinton Aero flew Beech 99's (and later Jetscreams) and Air North flew larger equipment such as Shorts and F27's. The Brockway glass company bought both airlines and flew them as a Piedmont Commuter and I believe shortly as a USAir Express. This raised the interest of Metro Airlines out of Texas and they bought Brockway Airlines. Only problem was they didn't keep the code share contract with USAir. The original owners of Clinton Aero took their money from Metro, bought some 1900s and started Commutair. Metro tried to operate as a TWA Express out of JFK, but they subsequently folded.

Maybe someone can fill in the holes of a fuzzy memory for me.

Just read in the June 2006 (page 20)issue of Air Transport World that Commutair signed an agreement with Continental to increase service from CLE and will expand its fleet by up to 16 turboprops. Spokesperson Joel Raymond told ATW that Commutair is looking at the Q Series as well as the S340. No final decision has been made on the type but Raymond expects to be operating the new aircraft by late 2006.

Go Turboprops

Just read in the June 2006 (page 20)issue of Air Transport World that Commutair signed an agreement with Continental to increase service from CLE and will expand its fleet by up to 16 turboprops.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the ALB mini-hub was a failure and has been discontinued. CommutAir is also trying to get subsidy or increased subsidy for its routes out of BOS.

Any updates on the 'larger aircraft' for these guys?? In addition to the already announced increased flying from CLE, I heard a rumor (just a rumor) that they are leaning towards the Q400 and will do some flying from EWR to the closer in spokes as a replacement for higher per-seat cost ERJs.

Well, first off Connection is a contract carrier whereas Express is partially owned by Continental.

I'm not sure how much of Expressjet is owned by CO if any. CO spunoff the Expressjet operation and took the cash. Now Expressjet is being treated like any other contract carrier like Mesa and Trans States.

Any updates on the 'larger aircraft' for these guys?? In addition to the already announced increased flying from CLE, I heard a rumor (just a rumor) that they are leaning towards the Q400 and will do some flying from EWR to the closer in spokes as a replacement for higher per-seat cost ERJs.
Looks like 24 dash-8-400s are coming Continental's way. Article does not say who will oeprate them.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...e2-54c1a2a2545c

Just read in the June 2006 (page 20)issue of Air Transport World that Commutair signed an agreement with Continental to increase service from CLE and will expand its fleet by up to 16 turboprops. Spokesperson Joel Raymond told ATW that Commutair is looking at the Q Series as well as the S340. No final decision has been made on the type but Raymond expects to be operating the new aircraft by late 2006.

Go Turboprops

It is nice to hear that there will be more Saab 340s in the Continental fleet. I flew on this plane on a United Express flight awhile back and it was one of the more comfortable flights I've been on.

This isn't hot news, but to keep the thread current:

CommutAir has selected Dash 8's, the Q200 model, for the CLE hub. 37 passengers, pretty decent plane - more passenger appeal than the Beeches. Formerly operated by Horizon.

Deliveries in late 2006; service starts in early 2007.

I don't think so, that was (to be) a seperate deal from what I heard.

Not sure if the Q400 rumor is still alive actually...

A lot of the issue has to do with the aircraft. EWR is pretty congested from an air traffic aspect. By having a prop fly a route, you decrease total flights due to separation requirements (a prop has to wait longer to take off after a jet due to jetwash). As a result, they don't want them in there...

Flyhigh, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Back