Crandall says...

The video is a fake produced by "The Onion", just check "Unbiased Facts" for the true breaking news and analysis.

I hope I can be as well spoken and handsome as Bob is at his age. But for gosh sakes, do I need to see yet another fully skinned muskrat as a hairpiece? Really? He needs to act his age in order for me to accept his wisdom. My personal problem, so sorry to you all.

Merry Christmas,

Greeter

As US Airways Plans a Sixth Merger, Ed Colodny Recalls the First Four

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11799893/1/as-us-airways-plans-a-sixth-merger-ed-colodny-recalls-the-first-four.html

As US Airways Plans a Sixth Merger, Ed Colodny Recalls the First Four

http://www.thestreet...first-four.html

The fourth and best-remembered USAir merger came in 1987 with Piedmont Airlines. Today, it is often cited as an example of an extreme case of corporate culture clash. As Jerry Orr, director of Charlotte Douglas International Airport, once said: "When you buy somebody, you ought to save the good parts and throw away the bad parts, but USAir did the opposite." Orr added: "They thought the sun rose and set in Pittsburgh."

I'm not a Jerry Orr fan, but in this case truer words were never spoken. The number one example is Crystal City letting Gordon Bethune get away while putting Deer-in-the-Headlights Schofield run the show. Geez, at the time Schofield didn't even have a bachelor's degree, and his claim to fame was that he started as a bag buster in PIT.

I'm not a Jerry Orr fan, but in this case truer words were never spoken. The number one example is Crystal City letting Gordon Bethune get away while putting Deer-in-the-Headlights Schofield run the show. Geez, at the time Schofield didn't even have a bachelor's degree, and his claim to fame was that he started as a bag buster in PIT.

What is this fixation about a college degree? Some of the brightest people I have met and worked with were those not turned out by the college assembly lines. They had keen minds and great problem solving skills. A college education today is for the most part a joke.
Years ago those who attended college had to have high grades and even then some did not make it. Today almost any brain dead young one can attend and come out no smarter.
Its sad to see job classified ads stating applicants must have a college degree, never specifying that the degree be in the line of work sought. How about a degree in 15th century history or tv and media, good for today's job market. Don't discount a person because of a lack of a degree, check his life work record,his being self taught and able to cull knowledge from others by his being easy to work with. The college of hard knocks still turns out some of the most capable people today.
As far as Bob Crandell, his tenure was at a different time in history, record high oil prices,real threats of terrorism,global economies in the tank were not around at his time.CEO's are all the same,protect the shareholders and enjoy the ego trip of being an airline CEO. Parker is salivating at the thought of running AA and he will promise anything to gain that position.
I wish the best for all employees, both AA and US. As far as AA being too small to compete, Airways brass has said that if the merger does not go through, airways will be fine. With that line of thinking, AA being much,much larger should likewise be fine without a merger.

What is this fixation about a college degree?

How true, when Roadway started Global Air they granted college exemptions. I had about 20 yrs air cargo experience at the time, and I was going up against a kid with a degree in Animal Husbandry. The RM out of ORD asked the local mgr why he would not consider 20yrs vs 0 yrs...The RM got his way, I got the job, it was the worst two years of my life..lol

Colodny and Schofield were clueless in the Piedmont, US Air merger. Then came a stead stream of opportunist trying to get rich personally selling the mess off. Parker and Co. straighten it out ...... all but the pilot feud.

What is this fixation about a college degree? Some of the brightest people I have met and worked with were those not turned out by the college assembly lines. They had keen minds and great problem solving skills. A college education today is for the most part a joke.
Years ago those who attended college had to have high grades and even then some did not make it. Today almost any brain dead young one can attend and come out no smarter.
Its sad to see job classified ads stating applicants must have a college degree, never specifying that the degree be in the line of work sought. How about a degree in 15th century history or tv and media, good for today's job market. Don't discount a person because of a lack of a degree, check his life work record,his being self taught and able to cull knowledge from others by his being easy to work with. The college of hard knocks still turns out some of the most capable people today.
As far as Bob Crandell, his tenure was at a different time in history, record high oil prices,real threats of terrorism,global economies in the tank were not around at his time.CEO's are all the same,protect the shareholders and enjoy the ego trip of being an airline CEO. Parker is salivating at the thought of running AA and he will promise anything to gain that position.
I wish the best for all employees, both AA and US. As far as AA being too small to compete, Airways brass has said that if the merger does not go through, airways will be fine. With that line of thinking, AA being much,much larger should likewise be fine without a merger.

Hmmm. A bit defensive, are we?

Let me guess about your college degree.

In the first year that Schofield became president, the annual Forbes 500 list came out with 499 bosses having at least a bachelor degree. One did not.

Now, if your college of hard knocks theory were correct, then Schofield should have done a stellar job. Were you paying attention?

Hmmm. A bit defensive, are we?

Let me guess about your college degree.

In the first year that Schofield became president, the annual Forbes 500 list came out with 499 bosses having at least a bachelor degree. One did not.

Now, if your college of hard knocks theory were correct, then Schofield should have done a stellar job. Were you paying attention?

I am not being defensive. I graduated from a tech school,not college and I did well over the years.The point I was trying to make was that the value of a college education has been devalued over the years and the amount owed in student loans straps a person for decades.
Years ago anything less than a b average meant no college for you. Only the those who worked hard and achieved good grades got in. Have you seen the crowd going to college today,I call many of them educated idiots, no common sense, no work ethic,and they expect to have everything their parents have but are not willing to wait 20 years.
Why does college have to be the only option? There will always be a need for those who work with their hands and their heads.Most of a persons education comes from applying what they know in the field they have chosen. Reading and asking questions help the most in making progress along with being willing to immerse oneself and learn from mistakes.
To say that a person with a degree is more capable and valuable than one with no degree is not true. As far as airline CEO's, look how far Dave Seigal took airways with his degree, a complete failure but he left with 4.5 million running out the door. It was his greed that got him that, not a degree.
The young people today think going to college is a sure thing in landing a high paying job. The best CEO's are the ones who consider their best asset to be their employees and not the shareholders, that takes people skills, not listed as a college course.

Reactions: 1 person