Cranky does for UA what he has already done for AA, DL & WN

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
Analysis of schedule cuts and changes

https://crankyflier.com/2020/04/27/a-look-at-uniteds-spartan-may-schedule/

WOW! I thought AA had cut flights to the bone.
Some highlights (or lowlights depending on your point of view.)

1. Cleveland (Focus city) cut to 2 destinations: you can fly west to Chicago or east to Dulles
2. LAX now has flights only to other hub cities.
3. International service is gone for all practical purposes
4. Newark is no longer a hub.
There's a lot more. Click on the link and read it all.

Last edited:
This appears to be Scott Kirby in action. His comment on the earnings call “hope is not a strategy” says it all.

Vasu Raju at AA vows no hubs will close, while Kirby says no sacred cows and all options are on the table.

I’ve got more confidence in one of those two approaches.

This appears to be Scott Kirby in action. His comment on the earnings call “hope is not a strategy” says it all.

Vasu Raju at AA vows no hubs will close, while Kirby says no sacred cows and all options are on the table.

I’ve got more confidence in one of those two approaches.

So, in which one do you have the most confidence .

Apparently United has told the pilots that ~4500 are facing layoff and won’t have a bid between now and September. The most junior first officer on the 737 will have a 2010 seniority date...

Not surprising given the number of flight reductions at United. Is the drastic elimination of flights out of CLE and LAX a surprise or were pilots given advance warning?

Last edited:
CLE has been a shell of itself for a couple years. LAX still has shades of Shuttle by United.

I have to believe ALPA knew. Not sure what was shared with rank and file. This is just the first time anyone’s put a seniority date on how big the problem is. .

A focus city might have some limited connections, but also flies point to point routes. Too small to be called a hub, and too big to be a line station. For DL, AUS and RDU are good examples.

AUS and RDU used to be called focus cities @ AA back in the Arpey days. STL was reduced to a focus city, and technically JFK and LAX were focus cities in concept but somehow got called hubs after Arpey quit.

Common factor is they have huge numbers of top tier frequent fliers and business travelers. I'm sure a bunch of those top tiers for DL at AUS and RDU used to be AA top tiers that were driven AAway by Parker's minions.

Thanks for the information. Yeah, it seems to me that DP's approach to saving the company is eliminating First/Business Class amenities and services. Don't want to make those Frequent Flyers too comfortable. I think this latest move toward densification (aka packing in the passengers ) of passenger seating may just do the trick. And no doubt DP and company will be mystified at the blowback. "After all we reduced the price of a JFK-LAX coach ticket by $3.42. That should be more than enough to justify a seating configuration that does not take knees into account in the needed space. :eek:"

Apparently United has told the pilots that ~4500 are facing layoff and won’t have a bid between now and September. The most junior first officer on the 737 will have a 2010 seniority date...
E, I just re-read this post of yours. I have a question. When you say "won't have a bid between now and September' does that mean that they will be on call during that period and get paid only if they are called to fly, or some other arrangement?

When you say "won't have a bid between now and September' does that mean that they will be on call during that period and get paid only if they are called to fly, or some other arrangement?

I'll check with a couple of my pilot friends but my understanding is they drop to reserve (typical for anyone who can't hold a line), and I'll guess that many will never fly again before getting furloughed.

UA hasn't retired a fleet yet, so there's no need to cover lines for guys having to get qualified on another fleet type. Yet.

I'll check with a couple of my pilot friends but my understanding is they drop to reserve (typical for anyone who can't hold a line), and I'll guess that many will never fly again before getting furloughed.

UA hasn't retired a fleet yet, so there's no need to cover lines for guys having to get qualified on another fleet type. Yet.

It's terrible to say, but this may at least help solve the pilot shortage at the regionals. Assuming, of course that the pilots are willing to work for such a lowly wage.

Latest posts