CRJ900 Ordered by AA goes to PSA to be operated as American Eagle

The article says this is a two-year extension of an existing outsourcing agreement for heavy overhaul between PSA and Bombardier, so it's not a new thing.

Envoy, or MQ (the new name for the former American Eagle Airlines - made up of the former Simmons, Wings West, Executive and Flagship airlines) had heavy maintenance bases at San Luis Obispo and Traverse City, Michigan, but I don't know if MQ did any heavy overhaul of its own CRJ-700s. For the longest time, Eagle had just 25 of them, and then got the additional 22 around the time that First Class seats were added.

PSA Airlines put out a press release that did not trumpet the outsourced heavy overhaul of these jets but did say this:

PSA has maintenance facilities in Dayton and Canton, Ohio and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport and Charlotte, North Carolina.
http://www.psaairlines.com/category/press-release/

That's a lot of maintenance facilities for a small regional operator, but it's all line maintenance and light checks (no heavy checks).

As an aside, the CRJs are awful on the inside compared to the Embraer 175s (personally, I love the E-175s). I've read that the CRJ-900s have a very slight operating cost advantage compared to the E-175s, but I've seen lots of articles pointing out that customers overwhelmingly prefer the E-175s to the CRJ-900s.

MQT's the former KI Sawyer AFB. They community lost the B-52 wing but gained heavy maintenance for Eagle.

Having Bombardier do the heavy maintenance was a Tempe thing to do. Hate to see that expand, especially for the smaller communities like MQT and SBP who really depend on jobs like that for the local economy.

Latest posts