Customer Service Seniority?

SSRinPHX

Nov 8, 2005
PHX
OK, with both IBT and CWA representing us, I have a question NO ONE has been able to answer for me yet. (John john? I'm hoping you can!)
Say, in three years once the merger is complete, there's an opening in CLT I'd like to have. Would I lose my workgroup seniority as I'd be going from IBT to CWA? (Assuming that we wouldn't have a contract to cover all those issues by then.) I know my company seniority will stay the same...but I'm concerned about workgroup. (There are a LOT of us that are interested in this...no one from IBT seems to know.)
I'm curious as to how that issue could play out in the future.

PS...are there any other US/West people that are as sick of the lack of progress on our contract as I am? I'd certainly like to see something other than some language about interim grievance policies.

OK, with both IBT and CWA representing us, I have a question NO ONE has been able to answer for me yet. (John john? I'm hoping you can!)
Say, in three years once the merger is complete, there's an opening in CLT I'd like to have. Would I lose my workgroup seniority as I'd be going from IBT to CWA? (Assuming that we wouldn't have a contract to cover all those issues by then.) I know my company seniority will stay the same...but I'm concerned about workgroup. (There are a LOT of us that are interested in this...no one from IBT seems to know.)

PS...are there any other US/West people that are as sick of the lack of progress on our contract as I am? I'd certainly like to see something other than some language about interim grievance policies.
Yes there are others out here that are very frustrated...from what I understand...WE WILL BE ONE ASSOCIATION...that is what we voted on a couple weeks ago...many out west are under the impression the IBT is "representing" them still and those Hp ers out east are now represented by CWA...this is not correct from what I have been told...we have any grievances out east-we give em to CWA reps...if you are out west, you give em to IBT...but....once again...we are ONE association....it has been very poorly communicated-this whole issue...right now it has gone to the NMB for approval of ONE association.....this is something that will have to be figured out in the new contract-your question of transferring-I think right now, HR/ER will probably tell you that you can not transfer as we are not operating as one yet...maybe I am wrong but this is what we have been told.

Check with your union rep or the union sights listed.

Transition discussions...

Local presidents and staff of the The Airline Passenger Service Employee Association (CWA and IBT) are working to put together a proposal to management covering all the transition issues for US Airways and America West agents. The proposal will cover Seamless Service, resolution of our change of control grievance, transition of the America West employees into our US Airways contract, and final management recognition of the association. The Association expects to make that proposal to management today or Monday. We'll keep you posted on management’s response
Labor Advisory Committee meets in Phoenix...
The first meeting of the new Labor Advisory Committee, which was set up to replace the former union members on the US Airways board of directors, took place in Phoenix on Wednesday. The meeting was chaired by US Airways CEO Doug Parker and included representatives from US Airways board of directors, including Bruce Lakefield, and also senior US Airways executives. Each of the US Airways unions was represented, some via conference phone. These meetings are scheduled to precede each quarterly board of directors meeting.
The discussion was general, as you would expect from a first organizational meeting. Doug Parker made it clear he expects the meetings to be frank and open exchanges of viewpoints and issues, and that he views the committee as providing employee representatives with periodic, scheduled, direct access to the top levels of the corporation.
There were brief status reports and discussions of transition issues by each union. The tone of the meeting was generally positive, with several unions stating that their members are encouraged by the progress the company is making and optimistic about the future of the airline. CWA'ers pointed to management's response to the needs of the displaced New Orleans agents following Hurricane Katrina as a new and welcome approach to labor relations issues.
We are also encouraged that executives at the meeting responded to our subcontracting issues by saying that management has undertaken a complete examination of all quality and customer satisfaction problems related to res subcontracting. They pledged to share their evaluations and conclusions with us. Our view is that subcontracted companies will never be able to match dedicated US Airways employees' ability and commitment to deliver the quality service our customers demand.

Back