CVG Reductions

all of the legal action is about airlines alledgly colluding to reduce capacity, something that can't even be said about CVG because capacity at CVG is up because CVG has open gates that are open to competition and DL hasn't tried to squash anyone who wants to come serve CVG.

Frontier and Allegiant have added service and taken passengers in leisure markets. But they don't have the level of service in business markets that DL has and they aren't attracting the business passengers that are loyal to DL at CVG and are what gives DL above average fares.

DL's revenue premium at CVG is because they have so far done a very good job of maintaining service in the business markets that matter to DL while serving enough of the leisure market to keep their business passengers happy and then letting ultra low cost carriers take leisure traffic which DL can't serve given that CVG is not a full hub but rather a large focus city.

Allegiant Air to establish base at Cincinnati
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2015/07/23/allegiant-air--establish-base--cincinnati/30557089/

The low-cost airline plans to make CVG a Midwestern home by establishing a base for operations and creating 90 new jobs for pilots, flight attendants and aircraft service workers, Allegiant Air announced Thursday. CVG will become Allegiant Air's 14th aircraft base across the U.S., and the new Cincinnati operation is scheduled to launch on Jan. 6.

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
this is not about DL. belongs in the general airline forum.
Pot meet kettle.

And I will post his every time you post about DL in the AA forum, when its not relevant.

then feel free to use the moderator report button. That is exactly what they want.

meanwhile, what any other carrier does at CVG has nothing to do with DL.

DL has ground handled other carriers at CVG before, including in the FIS. I'm not sure who currently does what for who at CVG

Kev3188 said:
Plenty of room & then some for G4 at CVG. DL should push for the ramp handling and mtx contracts...
G4 is going to have maintenance there, and crews, also looks like ramp and CSA with 90 jobs.

WorldTraveler said:
In the main, I'd agree, though I think that the historically high fares DL has been able to command and the fact that no one else has really yet tried G4's model in CVG make it at least tangentially related. DL's pull down over the years only helps create that space in the market.

700UW said:
G4 is going to have maintenance there, and crews, also looks like ramp and CSA with 90 jobs.
Hope their own people are plane side, but doubt it; they don't even have their own ramp in LAS...

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
then feel free to use the moderator report button. That is exactly what they want.

DL has ground handled other carriers at CVG before, including in the FIS. I'm not sure who currently does what for who at CVG

WorldTraveler said:
again, what does this have to do with DL?
Take your own advice and not nice to call out the mods in the thread, thats a no no.

Reactions: 3 people
Kev3188 said:
In the main, I'd agree, though I think that the historically high fares DL has been able to command and the fact that no one else has really yet tried G4's model in CVG make it at least tangentially related. DL's pull down over the years only helps create that space in the market. Hope their own people are plane side, but doubt it; they don't even have their own ramp in LAS...
Look for some of those CVG business fares to drop. Many business there are not happy with DL. We will see if they decide to take on some top business destinations once they have their operations established.

ULCCs don't and won't carry the corporate traffic from CVG. I wouldn't expect either of you to get it but they don't.

The fact that they don't serve the top business markets should be a clue to that.

ULCCs serve the leisure market which is wide open to competition.

DOT data shows that they have taken the lowest revenue passengers from CVG even while average fares for DL in the market have increased while DL passenger counts in those markets have reduced.

None of the markets where any of the ULCCs have grown are top business markets for DL at CVG.

so, no, ULCC growth really has nothing do to do with DL since DL has pulled back its service in those markets.