Dallas Love Field

Been awhile since last heard anything, and I have no clue if this story has anything to do with the gate fight at Love Field. It says that after Alaska made a move then Southwest will increase flights to the East coast and that could mean 1 of 2 things; 1- Alaska pulled their East coast flights and nego an agreement to lease gate space for Southwest to add the East coast flights. Or 2- Alaska and Southwest decided to stop fighting over the gate 15 and nego an agreement to allow Southwest to add the 10 east coast routes out of the gate 15? Seems odd to me if the later were to be correct, but either way, starting this Oct we will be adding 10 East coast flights to very congested airports as well as out of very congested Love Field, interesting which way this happened...

Southwest Airlines plans to add East Coast flights after Alaska Airlines' shift at Love Field

Been awhile since last heard anything, and I have no clue if this story has anything to do with the gate fight at Love Field. It says that after Alaska made a move then Southwest will increase flights to the East coast and that could mean 1 of 2 things; 1- Alaska pulled their East coast flights and nego an agreement to lease gate space for Southwest to add the East coast flights. Or 2- Alaska and Southwest decided to stop fighting over the gate 15 and nego an agreement to allow Southwest to add the 10 east coast routes out of the gate 15? Seems odd to me if the later were to be correct, but either way, starting this Oct we will be adding 10 East coast flights to very congested airports as well as out of very congested Love Field, interesting which way this happened...

Southwest Airlines plans to add East Coast flights after Alaska Airlines' shift at Love Field
So is Alaska just giving up one mixed gate, and Delta still stays?

It’s still AA’s gate(s), so maybe it’s time for either DL or WN to write a really big check like WN did for UA.

Or, AA makes a case to DOJ to dissolve the agreement not to serve DAL a few years early?

Not sure as of yet. Maybe we will get more info soon.
It’s still AA’s gate(s), so maybe it’s time for either DL or WN to write a really big check like WN did for UA.

Or, AA makes a case to DOJ to dissolve the agreement not to serve DAL a few years early?

Not sure the DOT would entertain that.

It’s not DOT’s call. It’s DOJ’s decision — they agreed to the restrictions as a condition of not opposing the merger, and that agreement is now 5 years away from expiry. All DOJ would have to do is issue a letter releasing AA from that provision.

Arguably, AA would introduce more competition at DAL a lot more than another 13 flights from WN would.

AA subleasing to DL would also introduce more competition than allowing more WN flights would. The question is whether or not DL would want to pay the same market rate WN was willing to pay UA a few years back.

Now that UA has new leadership with prior ties to AA, I also wouldn’t put it past them wanting to throw a hook back in the water. They’d be considered a new entrant...

And... DOJ is probably a lot more business friendly at the moment. I wouldn’t rule out either of the three alternatives above.

Last edited:
It’s not DOT’s call. It’s DOJ’s decision — they agreed to the restrictions as a condition of not opposing the merger, and that agreement is now 5 years away from expiry. All DOJ would have to do is issue a letter releasing AA from that provision.

Arguably, AA would introduce more competition at DAL a lot more than another 13 flights from WN would.

AA subleasing to DL would also introduce more competition than allowing more WN flights would. The question is whether or not DL would want to pay the same market rate WN was willing to pay UA a few years back.

Now that UA has new leadership with prior ties to AA, I also wouldn’t put it past them wanting to throw a hook back in the water. They’d be considered a new entrant...

And... DOJ is probably a lot more business friendly at the moment. I wouldn’t rule out either of the three alternatives above.
Now those would be interesting indeed. It would be great for the customers for increase in competition and fares out of LF.

Looks like they are still trying to settle the Love Field dispute before going to trial. I really don't see the problem of Delta sharing with Alaska/Virgin where they are not utilizing a gates full potential like Southwest is going to.

Southwest, Delta respond to Dallas' proposal to solve Love Field dispute
I must say I find it interesting that Delta had no problem closing a major hub at DFW lay all those people off years ago, and now has to have squatters rights at Love Field. We certainly helped them out when we bought Airtran, and took their low fare competition out of Atlanta.

Last edited: