Dash-8-300 seating capacity

dash8roa

Senior
Oct 25, 2003
I checked on NRTP and it shows Dash-8-300's having a 48 seat capacity. When did they drop from the 50 seats? From CLT to ROA and LYH only 48 total seats are shown.

usually its a typical 50 and 85 type  when it comes to weight and balance    but it could be weather or an MEL  who knows   good luck

The rear facing seats are being pulled out and not being replaced. They will remain 48 seat aircraft until the type is retired.

My friends there told me about it a few months ago and I heard that it was officially announced internally within the last couple days.

cynic said:
The rear facing seats are being pulled out and not being replaced. They will remain 48 seat aircraft until the type is retired.
Well, there go 2 seats for non-revs. AA is adding seats to the fleet and here we have just the opposite.

i say the one mistake they made and its due to the mainline pilot scope  was they could of gotten the DASH 8 Q400    now theyre getting some of the EMB 145

robbedagain said:
i say the one mistake they made and its due to the mainline pilot scope  was they could of gotten the DASH 8 Q400    now theyre getting some of the EMB 145
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe that the mainline pilot scope clause prevents the Q400.

i believe it was under the previous pilot scope back when UA began getting the Q400   of course its been a few years  but it was around the time i was with the commuter airline Piedmont and a lot of their flight crews used to tell me that they wished they had gotten the Q400 but that the mainline pilot scope prevented it bec of the number of seats the 400 holds

robbedagain said:
i believe it was under the previous pilot scope back when UA began getting the Q400   of course its been a few years  but it was around the time i was with the commuter airline Piedmont and a lot of their flight crews used to tell me that they wished they had gotten the Q400 but that the mainline pilot scope prevented it bec of the number of seats the 400 holds
I see what you're sayin. It's possible that the old LUS scope clause prevented outsourcing the Q400.

Eventually, the temporary pilot "shortage" will fix itself as more young pilots acquire the required 1,500 hours and qualify for their tickets, so perhaps Q400s could be obtained in the future. I personally liked the ATRs and they're still selling updated models, mostly in Europe.

Perhaps the small towns currently served with Dash 8s will get 50-seat ERJs as those are replaced/upsized with 76-seat E175s and CR9s. Or perhaps some of those small towns in the Carolinas lose air service. My guess is on 50-seat RJs backfilling the retired Dash 8s. Passengers irrationally don't like props and I don't see any big domestic airlines signing on for any new turboprops in the future.

we have at least one Piedmont ERJ 145 that visits our station then its typically 2 or 3 DASH-8-100 two  or three times  depending on the day of the week.    I too think the ATR is a nice looking plane