Deal signed to outsource some flying!

looks like these are provided by DL's reduction in RJs.

"SkyWest intends to source the aircraft from its existing fleet where they have previously been operated in behalf of another major partner and anticipates that 12 of the aircraft will be flown by SkyWest Airlines, Inc. ("SkyWest Airlines") and 11 aircraft will be flown by ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. ("ExpressJet Airlines"). SkyWest also anticipates that the American aircraft will be primarily operated out of Los Angeles International Airport and Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport."

The four year deal probably allows Skywest to obtain similar revenue to what it would have received with those aircraft while giving AA time to further redefine its long-term regional fleet plan.

Maybe this is the first step in getting rid of American Eagle. Outsourcing is what American says they need to do to stay competitive.

Maybe this is the first step in getting rid of American Eagle. Outsourcing is what American says they need to do to stay competitive.

Downsize (at least in the short term) maybe, get rid of I doubt.

It has been strongly rumored for a while now that the ERJ's are getting turned in for E-Jets at a two or three to one basis. Since American still will need the feed they had to contract it out to someone.

The question is will the planes get parked immediately or will they end up somewhere in the system until it is time for the return. They may end up in ORD for the big January increase.

Btw, I have heard that Skywest is charging more to do this flying than Eagle costs. I know that when they did the Eagle cost comps for MTX they excluded Skywest because their pay and benefits are vastly superior to ours.

This should attract a ton of high-revenue business travelers. When the choice is a large mainline aircraft at a competitor, or a Sky West RJ, I'm sure the business travelers will always opt for the spacious and comfortable RJ. AA will be raking in the cash on this deal. [/sarcasm]

Reactions: 1 person
It looks like those planes are going to backfill ATR flying in DFW and MIA. the January ORD buildup might come from Skywest also.

It also looks like it will all be Eagle as the Connection name is being eliminated. That is until the rebranding is complete.

My guess is Eagle will become Flagship once again.

Just look at how often our management flies on rjs. That should prove to you that rjs are the way to go. By the way, 1AA, you need to get your terminology straight. We are not outsourcing. We are "diversifying our regional feed." Says so right on Jetnet.

As to the mention of E-jets...it occurred to me now that the pilots' contract is abrogated, can the company ignore the Scope clause as to the maximum number and size of a/c flown by Eagle and our other "partners?"

This should attract a ton of high-revenue business travelers. When the choice is a large mainline aircraft at a competitor, or a Sky West RJ, I'm sure the business travelers will always opt for the spacious and comfortable RJ. AA will be raking in the cash on this deal. [/sarcasm]

Skywest is taking over current Eagle RJ routes. Other than the ERJ vs. CRJ distinction they probably wouldn't notice a difference.

Out of DFW there is not a big choice airlines to fly, so the RJ's will be full as the RJ's out of DFW are full now. The APA will have a hard time getting back the scope from their LBO offer now.

As to the mention of E-jets...it occurred to me now that the pilots' contract is abrogated, can the company ignore the Scope clause as to the maximum number and size of a/c flown by Eagle and our other "partners?"

The most recent APA term sheet allowed for aircraft up to the size of E190's and CRJ1000's. I suspect though that they won't go with anything bigger than what was allowed for in the APA T/A, which was 175's and 900's. My money is on a dual order for both.

Not sure how many they will end up with. 250 or so is my guess.

Agree. The pilots royally screwed themselves on that deal.

You do realize that management has told us they will stick with the 79 seat restriction, don't you?

With that in mind, please explain how we "royally screwed ourselves". Please explain how we would have come out ahead on the scope issue by voting yes to the LBFO.

Reactions: 3 people

Latest posts