Delta Air Lines to Leave Trade Association in April 2016

BTC comments on Deltas departure from A4A

http://www.eturbonews.com/65299/delta-air-lines-exits-a4a-airline-trade-group

“This is the clearest admission to date by Delta that it is truly estranged from its competitors and customers and doesn’t care about the U.S. national interest, broader airline industry interests or the best interests of the traveling public - it apparently cares only about Delta, and its hyper-parochialism has made it impossible to work with industry colleagues and regulators for the greater national good. This is shameful on a variety of levels,” added Mitchell.

Wow - Hardly complementary 

Reactions: 1 person
Last sentence says it all.

http://www.myajc.com/news/business/delta-ceos-maverick-streak-shows-in-trade-group-ex/npCYn/?icmp=AJC_internallink_110215_Deltaalone

George Hamlin, of Fairfax, Va.-based Hamlin Transportation Consulting, said that as disputes accumulated,
Delta executives may have faced the question, “Am I carrying some of my competitors or the rest of the industry?
That’s probably outside of my fiduciary duty to my shareholders.”

“Anderson and his team are running a company for its sake,” Hamlin said, “not for the industry’s.”

Reactions: 1 person
So essentially, you have an industry lobby group, who's actual achievements you can fit on a thread of dental floss, being told to pound sand when wanting. DAL to cough up another year s annual fees of $5 million.

And the typical DAL howling monkey haters have something to feed on....

townpete said:
Of course you wouldn't.

Like the saying goes: "When you're a hammer, all you see is nails."
Pot, kettle........

townpete said:
So essentially, you have an industry lobby group, who's actual achievements you can fit on a thread of dental floss, being told to pound sand when wanting. DAL to cough up another year s annual fees of $5 million.

Once again, You get a lot of things done in the government by yourself right Pete? How many laws have you had changed again? 

But groups of people never get political things done. 

Reactions: 3 people
All you have to do is look at the successful independents out there.

Lobbying is so yesteryear...especially after Citizens United.

Glenn Quagmire said:
All you have to do is look at the successful independents out there.
Lobbying is so yesteryear...especially after Citizens United.
What groundbreaking achievement has this group ever done?

Ever?

From the sounds of it they could never really agree on anything, or produce anything meaningful.

townpete said:

No, what you have is an airline that can't force its agenda on a group that's been advocating for the industry as a whole since the 1930s, and decided to go it alone.

While you may amuse yourself with your "howling monkey hater" comment, it just goes to show how uninformed you are on the subject.  It isn't just the posters on this forum that have taken issue with Deltas departure from A4A, try reading more than just the AJC and you just might learn a thing or two.

Reactions: 3 people
townpete said:

I spent many years working on both A4A and IATA working groups. A4A is why the industry has things like standard tickets and reservations message standards, ULD containers that can fit on anyone's aircraft, standards for baggage dimensions, and has always worked closely with the DOT and FAA to make sure that regulations coming down from Congress are actually workable when implemented. Typically, A4A will come up with practices 18-24 months before IATA adopts them as their own.

My guess is you're simply ignorant of what the association actually does, and too busy drinking widget-ade via a firehose.

BTW, I've known George Hamlin for over ten years. Ask him if A4A provides value, and you'll get a much different answer than the little soundbyte DL CorpCom showed you.

Reactions: 5 people