Delta FAs File For AFA-CWA Election !

LukeAisleWalker

Veteran
Sep 29, 2007
DELTA AIR LINES FLIGHT ATTENDANTS
FILE FOR ELECTION OF AFA-CWA

Union Cards to be Submitted to Federal Agency on February 14

Washington, DC – Delta Air Lines flight attendants will file cards on Thursday, February 14, seeking a union representation election according to the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA-CWA). Since late 2006, the campaign for AFA-CWA representation began when a small group of flight attendants started collecting the signatures necessary for the National Mediation Board (NMB) to call an election. Today, a solid majority of Delta flight attendants have signed cards and eagerly await an election.

“Delta flight attendants have made it clear that they want a voice in their future and a legally binding contract they can count on,†said Patricia Friend, AFA-CWA International President. “They want the right to negotiate rather than simply having to accept what management decides. They want a contract with improvements in pay, benefits and working conditions. They want a seat at the table – whether it is during regular contract negotiations or mergers – so they can have a voice in their careers. Their goals are our goals and we will work together to achieve them.â€

The NMB is the federal agency that oversees union representation elections in the airline industry. Once the NMB verifies that enough signed union representation cards have been submitted by AFA-CWA, a secret ballot election will be called to determine the Delta flight attendants’ union representation. Voting is typically conducted electronically via the Internet or through a phone-activated system.

“Delta flight attendants are hard working and are committed to our airline and to our careers,†said Delta flight attendant Mark Stell. “Just because we want to join a union does not mean that we are mad at management or even unhappy. All we are asking for, and what we deserve, is a say in our careers and our future.â€

The NMB normally begins the voting within 60 – 90 days after the cards are filed. A schedule for the voting period has not yet been announced.

For over 60 years, the Association of Flight Attendants has been serving as the voice for flight attendants in the workplace, in the aviation industry, in the media and on Capitol Hill. More than 55,000 flight attendants at 20 airlines come together to form AFA-CWA, the world’s largest flight attendant union. AFA is part of the 700,000-member strong Communications Workers of America (CWA), AFL-CIO. Visit us at www.afanet.org.

:up: ...take care of business this time around, Delta flight attendants! :up:

:up: Proud of 'ya! :up:

On behalf of all US Airways F/A's ....Congratulations DL F/A's!!!

It's been a looong time coming and with the pending merger with NW ( to be announced next week I am told) those NW numbers along with the DL card signers should guarantee the AFA supporters a victory! :up:

Having worked on the previous DL campaign in 2000/2001 I know how long you have waited to finally get representation and I assure you all your AFA brothers and sisters will welcome you with open arms.

On behalf of all US Airways F/A's ....Congratulations DL F/A's!!!

It's been a looong time coming and with the pending merger with NW ( to be announced next week I am told) those NW numbers along with the DL card signers should guarantee the AFA supporters a victory! :up:

Having worked on the previous DL campaign in 2000/2001 I know how long you have waited to finally get representation and I assure you all your AFA brothers and sisters will welcome you with open arms.

Yeah, then they can be as happy as your group, with senior FA's on reserves for 40 years, I'm sure they are looking forward to it...

No I think after several times of saying thanks, No thanks AFA would take the hint. I am all for them becoming unionized if thats what they want. Seems though that is not the case. AFA talks a good game, but in the end, they gave up more than Delta FA's at several other carriers and made themselves a laughing stock representing, if you can call it that, the NWA FA's.

Looks like AFA is betting on fear of a merger, in pushing for an election right now.

No I think after several times of saying thanks, No thanks AFA would take the hint. I am all for them becoming unionized if thats what they want. Seems though that is not the case. AFA talks a good game, but in the end, they gave up more than Delta FA's at several other carriers and made themselves a laughing stock representing, if you can call it that, the NWA FA's.

Looks like AFA is betting on fear of a merger, in pushing for an election right now.

sounds like sour grapes. :unsure:

actually many (if not a majority) of DL f/a's (ATL being the notable possible exception) have at one time or another wanted representation, but somehow DL corporate dirty tricks and intimidation have always tripped up the vote results, except for after Sept. 11 when natural fears in the industry derailed what probably would have been a successful campaign.

too bad that DL's dreams for a forever union free workforce will be coming to an end soon.

congrats again DL f'a's!!

You never had there hearts and minds. Blame it on what ever you want, reason it how ever you please. AFA still lacks the true support needed to win.

Why should they support AFA? They have done better with out, than carriers with AFA.

BTW, Delta is not a union free workplace.

I'm afraid that Mikey is right. I have a close friend who is a very senior f/a at DL--her number is below 1000. She is already talking about "Well, we need a union, but all my friends and I agree that now is not a good time." This is the same thing she has said every time there has been a representation election. (I've never been able to ascertain when IS a good time; she can't define that. :lol: )

Sorry Delta that you have to go through all of this. AFA, in my experience, can be our own worst enemy (at US). They benefit the bad employees way more than the good employees. I feel my union dues are going towards getting jobs back for the flight attendants that steal and that are fired for dependibility issues. :down:

I'm afraid that Mikey is right. I have a close friend who is a very senior f/a at DL--her number is below 1000. She is already talking about "Well, we need a union, but all my friends and I agree that now is not a good time." This is the same thing she has said every time there has been a representation election. (I've never been able to ascertain when IS a good time; she can't define that. :lol: )

Well actually she is wrong, b/c DAL doesnt provide a published seniority list, she may know she is below 1000 but does she REALLY know what number she is??? NOOO.... Also DAL has some of the nastiest work rules and shady practices I have seen... The Workrules they do have can change at any time w/o a moments notice.. They have VERY little holidays, There are no retrictions to their work rules, b/c they are "guidelines" ... FAMikey, how would you feel if someone called you and told you that you that AMR had a complaint, and they just feel that your are no longer right for their company after years of service.. AND it a nice see ya later out the door???? I have seen this scenario pan out MANY times.. DAL people sip that kool-aid like no tomorrow.. I know i want to be represented.. I just wonder since the APFA is so great, why they are so against the AFA.. I know the APFA members would have handed over their house if they had to in concessions, and they werent even in BK.. But I guess they are a little jealous now that nearly all the airlines are under one bargaining agent except them..

Just stating what my friend said. The fact that you have your panties in a wad about this issue does not create an emergency on anyone else's part. And, if the DL f/as decide once again that they do not want a union, that is their business. If you are not a DL f/a, get over it. If you are, you can always quit and go to a union shop.

Well actually she is wrong, b/c DAL doesnt provide a published seniority list, she may know she is below 1000 but does she REALLY know what number she is??? NOOO.... Also DAL has some of the nastiest work rules and shady practices I have seen... The Workrules they do have can change at any time w/o a moments notice.. They have VERY little holidays, There are no retrictions to their work rules, b/c they are "guidelines" ... FAMikey, how would you feel if someone called you and told you that you that AMR had a complaint, and they just feel that your are no longer right for their company after years of service.. AND it a nice see ya later out the door???? I have seen this scenario pan out MANY times.. DAL people sip that kool-aid like no tomorrow.. I know i want to be represented.. I just wonder since the APFA is so great, why they are so against the AFA.. I know the APFA members would have handed over their house if they had to in concessions, and they werent even in BK.. But I guess they are a little jealous now that nearly all the airlines are under one bargaining agent except them..

Hi-C-Camp...are we working for the same company?!! Dal does have a published seniority list, which is updated as when our seniority numbers are. Granted you do have to go to the "I don't know desk" in order to view it!! Also, have you taken a look at other airlines inflight work rules, specifically the ones with AFA as their union. We actually come out ahead in most catergories. Don't believe me? Look for yourself under the afa website..all of their contracts can be viewed there.

As for displinary actions, granted there is a perception of not being consistent, but calling in sick 8 times as year, with 4 mto's is going to get anyone called on the carpet, even with a contract. Bad letters, not good for anyone, even with a contract!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against unions, but Delta is not the enemy here. I've worked at Dal for 10 years, and excluding the bankrupcy years have considered myself fortunate.