Delta in talks to acquire dozens of small narrowbody jets - sources

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines' started by 700UW, Apr 7, 2016.

1. metopower

metopower Veteran

Well I'm glad it's not AA because from my original AA friends they fear that it will become unraveled. Their opinion not mine..I can only talk about DL. The references were only about AA because of the discussion about replacing md80's with 738's verses newer twa md80's..

2. FWAAA

FWAAA Veteran

On 12/31/01, TWA LLC had 103 MD-80s, and their average age was 9 years old. What's the average age of that fleet of MD-80s on 12/31/15? 23 years.

Yes, TWA had a few younger, almost new MD-80s when AA bought the assets. IIRC, TWA had the last MD-80 off the line, which was practically new. And they're built like tanks, and could probably safely fly for 40 years. If fuel hadn't hit $3/gal, perhaps AA would have kept them longer.

They're not fuel efficient, and they're aged. That's why they'll all be put down sometime in 2017 as AA retires the last one.

3. metopower

metopower Veteran

Good point if fuel was $3.00 a gallon

4. robbedagain

robbedagain Veteran

MD 80 twin sister lasted some 40 plus yrs with DL NW   so there's no reason that its sister ship MD80 can do similar    If the plane is well cared for itll take care you .   thats the phrase Ive heard for years

• Like Like x 1
  5. eolesen

eolesen Veteran

If you wait until fuel is at $3.00/gallon (which it will be eventually), you've already lost your opportunity.

The time to buy new aircraft is when fuel is low, and the manufacturers are hungry.

If the rumors are true about UA getting their last batch of 737's at C-series prices, then the likelihood of DL being able to cut a good deal on new aircraft is probably still high.

6. metopower

metopower Veteran

Don't get me wrong I'm all for fleet modernization . It's just about timing. And that deal is a good example . That was a smart deal.

7. Airlinelifer

Airlinelifer Senior

Grease's "Coach Calhoun's"  pep rally at Rydell High...."We're just not going out their to win, we're going out their for glory. When we get out their we're goin' to yank them, get down and rip 'em 'an take 'em and roll them around and rrrrrrip them up to pieces and then we're gonna slaughter 'em, and after the slaughter is over, we're gonna come back here, and ring that victory bell."

8. FWAAA

FWAAA Veteran

It was $3/gal in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

If fuel stays cheap for an extended period, then AA's massive fleet orders (placed in 2011, when fuel was $3/gal) won't be nearly as smart-looking as they'd look if fuel had stayed expensive.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Right now, DL's strategy (keeping older, less-efficient planes flying) is paying off. Burning some extra fuel when fuel is cheap is certainly cheaper than new plane payments.

My initial point in this thread still stands: DL has ordered lots of planes in piecemeal orders just like AA ordered lots of planes in one big order.

• Like Like x 1
  9. eolesen

eolesen Veteran

With oil back at $48 and jet above $50, we'll be back at $3 before you know it.

10. topDawg

topDawg Veteran

No it won't. Nothing points to that at all. 

Delta has given out the rough numbers internally many times. 

Your line of thinking is very much spend a dollar to save a nickel. Once again I will say, Delta isn't valued (much) higher than American because American is doing the better thing. IMHO Parker is setting up American for bk part 2 once the economy tanks again. Very 1990s ways of thinking going on. 

11. eolesen

eolesen Veteran

Well, your new boss seems to disagree with you:

Fuel will probably climb even higher after the Nov election.

12. topDawg

topDawg Veteran

I didn't say fuel wasn't going up a point here or point there

I said it won't go above 3 a gallon. 

13. eolesen

eolesen Veteran

I hope you're right, but suspect you're wrong.

14. topDawg

topDawg Veteran

Well If I'm wrong then so is basically every other person on wall street.