Delta Labor Relations thread.

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines' started by Eagle, Jan 25, 2016.

1. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

How about a peddler then?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

Go with "mensch," or "man of the people."

• Like Like x 1
  3. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

"Man of the people"? What are you taking over when Trump drops out?

4. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

Far too left of the dial for most progressives, let alone the GOP.

• Like Like x 1
  5. topDawg

topDawg Veteran

You mean Kev doesn't share your hate for AMFA and must always suck the big trade unions d**ks? 

Nope that is very un-700 like. I find Kev very reasonable in the issue...... 

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

Don't hate AMFA or any Union in particular actually. A trade Union no matter what trade you belong to by its nature needs to be working for the betterment of those who participate in it. The problem is the less "people" you have that are participating and believe the elected leaders should do all the heavy lifting, the weaker your "union" is. Union means to be United.

I've said before that I just don't believe the Mom and Pop Union shops have the power to force change for Corporations if they want to play hard ball. And the Laws 9 times out of 10 stack the deck against them. I'd prefer to shop at the little Hardware store but you and I both know they can't compete if Walmart moves in across the street. Again it's nothing against the small business it's just how I see the World and the reality of it all.

On a side note believe it or not. I'm hoping AMFA at SWA hits a massive home run. I'm also very very glad to see other Unions including the TWU showing them support. And was over the moon to read AMFA supported those rampers that were thrown out a few months ago. Fantastic. That's the way it should be.

As far as Kev and him and I have discussed this many times. I just think he concentrates too much on the Politics of the Unions rather than putting all his energy into getting in the Country. What is the point of someone in England complaining about Clinton and Trump here in the US if they aren't a citizen and have no vote? Now if that person gets a US Visa, works hard and eventually becomes a US citizen he then gains a vote and a voice.

Kev right now is a man with no Country. So that's the part I think he should put his entire focus on. Then he can work on trying to straighten out those Politics he hates so much.

IMO of course.

7. topDawg

topDawg Veteran

AMFA is the only union that had any balls during the 2000s. Not only did they have to put up with management issues but also IAM/TWU scabs and management help! 

Oh and mom and pop unions don't work? 
    best unions in the airline industry right now are the APA and APFA........ 

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

Like I've said before, AMFA does some things very well that other unions would be wise to emulate.

9. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

Didn't say that they DON'T work. Just that I think they have it rougher when push comes to shove.

Note: NWA. Push "came" to shove. Details and particulars irrelevant. Company won BIG time.

10. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

Curious? According to SWAMT they just chucked all their top officers. Were those people doing the negotiations? How long will it take to put in new negotiators? How long to get them up to speed? Does this set the membership further back now in trying to come to an agreement?

Hope you enjoyed your vacation?

11. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

I like how easy it is to "chuck" officers at AMFA. It's also very transparent.

Vacay is going good! Thx for asking.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

I'd love it if we had a completely informed and educated membership that wouldn't vote with their emotions.

Glad to hear. Don't get too burned.

13. topDawg

topDawg Veteran

seriously? 
    They have been at it for 4 years and haven't really done anything. It was probably time for a change.
    DALPA did the same thing after the first TA was rejected. 

Time is no reason to go with a leadership team that is just going to walk back with a turd or nothing. Quite honestly its refreshing to see a union be more militant and not be afraid to move on from reps who aren't getting the job done. 

Not at all. 

AMFA saved our craft (even with other "unions" helping wall street to kill it) 
    They take what NWA wanted then US airline maintenance dies. American, Delta, United etc. would have all gone to the exact same model. 1,000 or so people for the line in hubs and to pencil whip the paper work when yet another **** show comes back from Asia, Mexico, AAR, TIMCO etc. etc. etc. People love to say that they lost, nut they saved our craft. Sadly sometimes it does mean things end up like the did for NWA or for Eastern, but a lot of those guys have had a chance to get back with airlines now because they struck. 
    example, we are hiring all the time now, so much so they are doing a yearly freeze and fill. Line stations are opening up, some work is coming back in-house etc.....none of that happens if a lot of current Delta management had their way at Northwest. 

Company didn't win at all...... and AMFA was the only mechanics union to stand up for its members during the BK era. IAM, IBT, TWU all sold there members right down the river. Matter of fact the only unions who really did ANYTHING during BK time was AMFA, APA and APFA. The rest just bent over..... 

You seem to be living in the good old days, now it doesn't matter if the union is in-house or a big national union. The days of big time strikes are gone. At least with the in-house or craft union it isn't a big money grab, ala the IAM. Also seems like the in-house has a better touch on reality than the big industrial unions. 

14. swamt

swamt Veteran

No we did not chuck the negotiators.  Although Key does attend alot of nego's he has no voting rights for contract nego's.  There is one position that might get replaced which I think is the Reginal II Director, all the rest are and will remain, so no delays are expected directly tied to the nego's table. Also with the way AMFA has open nego's and open communications the new National leaders are pretty much already brought up to speed, and would take maybe one meeting to get them up to par. So no it doesn't set us back.  

Better to replace the leadership and not the entire union just to replace some individuals that are not performing up to par with the membership.  Can't wait for Oct when the new leadership takes over, it has been time for change for some time now.

• Like Like x 2
  15. southwind

southwind Veteran

Guess the ramp union push is a bust.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

Lol. Good one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

It looks like I'm not the only one who shares the philosophy on the Mom and Pop Union ideology. Can the APFA be that far behind?

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...irlines-pilots-push-union-switch-five-decades

18. 767 mechanic

767 mechanic Senior

This one is not to hard to figure out. This is a former ALPA member (possibly former officer) wanting to get his position back with no chance in HELL of doing it. It reminds me of when the twu went to the local papers in the DFW area we have a card drive at SWA. What a crock.

19. swamt

swamt Veteran

All true. TWU tried to start a card drive just like the teamsters tried to do. Both were sent packing sand as this membership is satisfied with AMFA.
    I quoted these two post for a great example of how things are with AMFA as compared to the other industrial unions. With AMFA any and all officers can and will be replaced when needed. With the industrial unions it takes the removal of the entire union to fire officers at the top which is just too hard to do sometimes. This is the third time we had to replace (fire) certain officers within our union. So nice to be able to do so. And by the election result numbers it was drastically needed done.

20. WeAAsles

WeAAsles Veteran

And two more groups now have agreements with your airline. Meanwhile reading your updates unfortunately things don't seem to be moving so well for your group honestly.

I don't really care how many people I can replace if no one can seem to get me a deal no matter who I replace them with.

Before you mention our Association it will be one year next month. And they did secure us raises in the middle of those negotiations.

But I really do seriously wish you and your group well.