Delta-Northwest Deal Could Oust Unions

2BlacknBlue

Senior
Oct 4, 2007
"In the representation elections likely to follow a merger, unions could very well be ousted. "We think part of the thinking here is that they could de-unionize the transportation labor movement," says Robert Roach, general vice president of the International Association of Machinists, the largest airline union and a key opponent of the merger."

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10414553/1/...ust-unions.html

For the Delta ramp out there. Take it from us on the awa/us merger. The IAM has been the biggest screw job ever for the ramp employees. Nothing but shady deals and only caring about union dues. Dont vote the IAM in!!

On the one hand, the pro-union forces complain every day on this forum about how ineffective their union has been the last six and a half years, unable to stop the tidal wave of pay, benefit and work rule concessions.

Yet on the other hand, the pro-union forces continue to post nonstop about how much better life is when you pay a couple hours of pay each month to the union overlords.

Representation may very well benefit the workers enough to be worth those two hours of pay each month.

But I can understand how some may be skeptical.

Representation may very well benefit the workers enough to be worth those two hours of pay each month.

...Which is precisely why people from the NWA side have been preaching about organizing....

That $41.00 paid out saves me almost $200 a month in medical & dental alone, and doesn't even touch on other things like increased vacation, Scope, etc.

To Black Magic--

DL143 is not without fault, but it's still light years better than what's been happening to you guys over at 141...

We can only hope!!!

That's right yoyo! Remaining non-union sure has helped DL employees tremendously, for example, having the lowest wages and worst benefits in the industry! Yeah, sign me up for another pay cut and another lost week of vacation!
:down:

Unfortunately I was with the IAM at Lockhheed, They suck.
hopefully we won't make the same mistake at DL.

Under the IAM, US Airways ramp has lower wages than both DL and CO. Shows you exactly that the IAM union is worth zilch.

Under the IAM, US Airways ramp has lower wages than both DL and CO. Shows you exactly that the IAM union is worth zilch.

A union is only as good as it's members. Truth is you guys voted in those POS contracts.

Now you have a chance to change all that. Hopefully, your current T/A will be voted down, and you will have a chance at getting something decent if/when Canale gets voted out.

BTW, not to "cross-pollinate" threads here, but our medical costs at NW are about 1/2 of what yours are at US ($177 for family coverage vs. $300). Why is lowering that not one of the top priorities of the NC?

I didn't vote for any part of the IAM..I was former America West and we inherited the IAM union with the merger.

I'm still waiting for answer (or at least an opinion) from you on my last question.

In the meantime, here's another honest question: Would you prefer to still have the TWU with it's poverty wages?

That aside, this thread is about what will happen to DL & NW workers depending on the outcome of a representational vote.

If no union is voted in: Status quo for DL'ers, loss of the following for NW'ers:

*Loss of 2 weeks vacation (back down to 4 max-sound familiar?)

* Increase in medical benefits

*7 days max annually for sick time (currently there's no cap at NW)

*Only 15 locations for ramp instead of 40

If the IAM is voted in: DL'ers can expect to reap the benefits that we at NWA currently enjoy. It might take awhile to get a joint CBA-as I'm sure the newly merged company would be in no hurry-but it'd be worth it. Period.
That's just 4 to start. I'm not sure USAviation has enough bandwidth to list everything....

Again, I respect your opinion towards 141; you're right to be pissed at what Canale has done to it. However, 143 is a whole different animal (again, not perfect, but much better).

This next TA is def a NO vote from me.

Good! It should be.

Here is link showing the payscale for the IAM company. Scroll down to the maids and it shows that they make more $$$ than most of you on the ramp.

http://www.unionfacts.org/unions/unionOffi...7&year=2006

Yeah, I know. I've seen it before. Looks like being a bartender at Placid Harbor is a well paying gig as well...

I'm still waiting for answer (or at least an opinion) from you on my last question.

In the meantime, here's another honest question: Would you prefer to still have the TWU with it's poverty wages?

That aside, this thread is about what will happen to DL & NW workers depending on the outcome of a representational vote.

If no union is voted in: Status quo for DL'ers, loss of the following for NW'ers:

*Loss of 2 weeks vacation (back down to 4 max-sound familiar?)

* Increase in medical benefits

*7 days max annually for sick time (currently there's no cap at NW)

*Only 15 locations for ramp instead of 40

If the IAM is voted in: DL'ers can expect to reap the benefits that we at NWA currently enjoy. It might take awhile to get a joint CBA-as I'm sure the newly merged company would be in no hurry-but it'd be worth it. Period.
That's just 4 to start. I'm not sure USAviation has enough bandwidth to list everything....

Again, I respect your opinion towards 141; you're right to be pissed at what Canale has done to it. However, 143 is a whole different animal (again, not perfect, but much better).

Good! It should be.

Yeah, I know. I've seen it before. Looks like being a bartender at Placid Harbor is a well paying gig as well...
Since I know you will answer kev, here's a question or two for you.

If DL voters say no to a union, what will the NW employees do?
Is there a plan B? (I can't think of any)

I am with NHBB in the hopes that this merger gets denied.
Not only will many people lose their jobs, I think the NW employees will lose their pensions to the PBGA.

NW and Dl are both the masters of smoke and mirrors and reading these message boards, it sounds like a lot of employees both NW and DL are falling for it. JMO

Kev I feel that we should have stayed with the TWU but the IAM thugs fixed that right away. At AWA our TWU contract was up and we were in negotiations for more pay, ect. But thats all gone now so we'll never know.

The two highest paid ramper groups are AA and WN and both are represented by TWU.

I dont really know how to answer your first question about the insurance. I only pay for single coverage and if the new TA goes thru, the cost of that is going up also!

I feel a union is the lesser of two evils, however the IAM is just a business in it for themselves and the worst choice of a union.

Since I know you will answer kev, here's a question or two for you.

If DL voters say no to a union, what will the NW employees do?

Individually, each one will have to decide if their new benefits package is still viable for them (this assumes that they work in a station that's still open).

Collectively, you start from square one all over again. Quixotic? Maybe, but I still think it'd happen.

As it stands, if I had to guess-and it's only a guess- I'd say the ramp squeaks by close margin, and the CSA's don't.

Is there a plan B? (I can't think of any)

None that are legal under federal law. :)

I am with NHBB in the hopes that this merger gets denied.
Not only will many people lose their jobs, I think the NW employees will lose their pensions to the PBGA.

I'm with you guys..."Employee stuff" aside, I just don't see it making fiscal sense. Too much debt being taken on, too unwieldy of work force, too disparate of fleet (at least in the near term).... This thing is an albatross in the making.

NW and Dl are both the masters of smoke and mirrors and reading these message boards, it sounds like a lot of employees both NW and DL are falling for it. JMO

Sadly, you're dead on.... Getting the correct info out is certainly an uphill battle.