Delta, pilots reach contract deal early

Hard to say how this will turn out.Three basic groups with 3 differing views depending on where you are on the list.The selling point is that it is only a 3 year deal with a signing bonus.If(when)there is another merger it will be sweeten and if we sign now it is 2yrs before a normal section 6 outcome. Who knows what could happen in that timeframe. Wars,recessions etc.Good points is that scope limits the num. of rj's to a max number not a formula as before. improvement in all areas such as vacation, sick leave, disability,training pay etc.Plus there will be a buy out aimed at senior capts.(Movement for middle part of list) Down side is that junior people were hoping for the home run of contract 2000 plus ten percent.Never a posibility in this environment. All this is just my take.It will pass.By the way maintance has been looking into changing cockpits of 88's and 90's to match 717 for the last 8 months.That would also allow DL to buy about 20 more 90's that were changed over to glass at another carrier.

thanks, Meto. Your assessment is clearly more balanced than most commentary on the web about the deal... and I do think you guys will be up for a renewal w/ further consolidation.
Yes, news has been around around the glass conversions - and the potential to add to the M90 fleet.
DL is doing its job to maintain McD-D's heritage!

All the best to you!

Yep, I did say that. It's hasn't occurred yet, either. What's stopping them from not implementing it? Nothing.

Maybe you missed where I wrote that I prefer the hourly increase, but again, who knows if it will cover the 33% cut in profit sharing?

Kev, there are merit employees still waiting on their July 2010 pay increase that they did not get! I've got some experiences that will spin your head around like Linda Blair's!

Reactions: 1 person
Also announced today: Changes to profit sharing (from 15% down to 10% for anything under 2.5B), and an alleged pay increase instead coming in 1/13. No specifics on an amount...

I find it hilarious how Pro-union peeps look at a raise as a negative thing by using words like "Alledged raise!"

Guess they're upset because they didn't have to pay someone to barter for "THE alledged raise !"

I'm getting a raise in July and Jan. and yes they're lowering the profit sharing, but still appreciate the raises, especially in this Nobama economy and I didn't have to pay any dues to get it !

I find it hilarious how Pro-union peeps look at a raise as a negative thing by using words like "Alledged raise!"

Guess they're upset because they didn't have to pay someone to barter for "THE alledged raise !"

I'm getting a raise in July and Jan. and yes they're lowering the profit sharing, but still appreciate the raises, especially in this Nobama economy and I didn't have to pay any dues to get it !

I find it "hilarious" that you jumped to that conclusion. Nothing I wrote indicated that I find this negative. You clearly (purposely?) missed the part where I specifically noted that I'd prefer to have that 5% difference spread out over my hourly base rate.

As for "alleged," that's exactly what it is. As you yourself note, it's not negotiated, so what's to stop the company from canceling either one? And we still don't know what the percentage increase for Jan. may be, so who knows if overall it'll eclipse what the profit sharing gain may (or may not) have been.

But, hey, if you're excited about being thrown a bone by our employer, don't let me stop you.

Nothing is to stop the company from doing anything, even being represented by a union..........NW and AA, just to mention a couple !
But I've found , in my 14+ years, Delta has never backpeddled from an announced raise.
Maybe it will just take people like you (ex-union) a little more time than most, to realize the company's #1 priority is to make a profit.............not screw over employees !

Nothing is to stop the company from doing anything, even being represented by a union..........NW and AA, just to mention a couple !

Ours just has it easier, because there's no legally binding agreements in our respective workgroups. IOW, they're free to do what they want, when they want.

Not having a CBA also means there is no consistent application of policies and procedures. It's a free for all.

But I've found , in my 14+ years, Delta has never backpeddled from an announced raise.

There's always a first time. Let's hope it's not soon.

Maybe it will just take people like you (ex-union) a little more time than most, to realize the company's #1 priority is to make a profit.............not screw over employees !

People like me?

People like me aren't afraid to critically think.

People like me still speak truth to power.

People like me aren't dazzled by gauzy concepts like "family," "culture," and "direct relationships" (to say nothing of block parties.)... After all, as you've noted, they exist as a profit machine, not for our benefit.

There are a lot of people like me here.

Reactions: 4 people
Ours just has it easier, because there's no legally binding agreements in our respective workgroups. IOW, they're free to do what they want, when they want.

Not having a CBA also means there is no consistent application of policies and procedures. It's a free for all.

There's always a first time. Let's hope it's not soon.

People like me?

People like me aren't afraid to critically think.

People like me still speak truth to power.

People like me aren't dazzled by gauzy concepts like "family," "culture," and "direct relationships" (to say nothing of block parties.)... After all, as you've noted, they exist as a profit machine, not for our benefit.

There are a lot of people like me here.

I am Kevin!
B)

Reactions: 3 people
It is ok to doubt and to have the mindset of "trust but verify" but the facts remain that DL employees sustained less cuts during BK than employees at other airlines and they have recovered more faster than employees at other airlines.
It is also true that DL non-contract employees have long benefitted by "riding the coattails" of the pilots and they win by getting benefits the pilots negotiate for while also benefit as DL tries to keep non-contract employees paid as good as or better than their unionized peers at other airlines.
There is nothing in the foreseeable future that says that model will change; in fact, if the refinery and refleeting (717/large RJs for small RJs/DC9s) proceeds, it is very possible that DL will look substantially better than its peers - and DL employees will benefit.

The discussions regarding the pilot contract on other websites are changing with more and more pilots pointing out that DL pilots have fared better than pilots at other airlines and while this TA doesn't provide the home run many have wanted, it does provide the tools the company needs to contain significant competitive advantages. Clearly consolidation and expanding DL's network is an opportunity that DL needs to pursue - and since just about any merger will be with smaller large jet carriers rather than other nationwide network carriers, the ability to integrate those carriers should be even easier than with NW.

BTW - some people are saying that DL has lost the ability in the new contract to codeshare with large jet carriers like AS which means DL either has to buy them or ditch them as a partner and replace what they offer with DL metal. Not sure if this is true but there are strategic implications if DL loses the ability to codeshare on other large jet carriers domestically.

What remains unchanged is that the best way DL employees can benefit is by having a strong company with labor peace. In an industry where there are few leaders strategically and where labor strife is the norm, if DL can remain one step strategically ahead of its peers and do so with labor peace, then the future for DL employees is alot brighter than for alot of airline employees.

That still leaves plenty of room for critically questioning - but DL's track record shows that running a good business and paying its people as good as or better than most airline employees is a proven formula that DL has used to the benefit of the company and its employees.

After reading more on scope, not sure about scope limitations on AS flying. Lots of angst about scope in this contract and most is focused on the 76 seat RJs. Not sure alot of people understand what is allowed or not regarding scope - but DL is trying to increase its efficiency and competitive advantage. Given that some pilots believe that relaxing any scope is bad, even if DL pilots gain something valued greater, it is hard to measure whether what is happening is good for the company, its employees, both, or neither.

Latest posts