Delta rescues group of 5th grade students after AA cancels their flight

The only thing american hates more tgrn passengers are its employees.
Thats why we suck, delta just made customers for life..

Reactions: we're screwed
And how Far is DFW or Oklahoma City, or MCI from Tulsa, world's largest airline sad, unless American reimbursed Delta?

Utterly pathetic how AA goes Above and Beyond to show their true arrogance n colors in how they put profits over everything n everyone. Great job n kudos to Delta

Kudos to DL's agents for seeing an opportunity.

Sounds like the kids were in OKC to begin with, not TUL... OKC's been considered a backwater airport to AA for the last 20+ years..

As a customer friendly issue, Yes that did suck. Really not understanding why in the world AA did not get another spare a/c into Tulsa to complete their flights. Kudos to Delta and the two gate agents who are heros to an aircraft full of happy 5th graders. So let's think about this, 5th graders are around what 10-11-12 years old I believe. They will never forget how AA screwed them and how Delta was the hero that saved the day when they all become adults and need to pick their lifelong airline for business and pleasure flying.
AA offered the refunds back to the folks involved, therefore Delta was willing to do this for free. Does AA and Delta have an agreement to reimburse? I have no clue but that was expensive for Delta to fly an empty plane to Tulsa then on to their destination and possibly even back. Way to go Delta!!! No brainer why Delta is on top for customer service.

And how Far is DFW or Oklahoma City, or MCI from Tulsa, world's largest airline sad, unless American reimbursed Delta?
Precisely. Delta did not put their plane into commercial service. Note that the article says that the school group (approximately 41 students plus their chaperones) got full and exclusive use of the loaner.
AA may never live down this faux pas.

So let's think about this, 5th graders are around what 10-11-12 years old I believe. They will never forget how AA screwed them and how Delta was the hero that saved the day when they all become adults and need to pick their lifelong airline for business and pleasure flying.

Why wait for these kids to grow up before we see financial damage from this incident? The students' parents, friends and relatives, and next door neighbors will be thinking of this when they book their next flights to places served by both AA and Delta.

Reactions: swamt
I think all of us know from working there is that the only thing AA does really well is chit on it’s customers.
No body flies AA because they want to, they do because they have to.

A quote from the article on USAtoday.

In a statement to USA TODAY on Tuesday, American Airlines spokesperson Ross Feinstein said the cancellation was due to weather.

"We do apologize for the cancellation, which was the result of inclement weather that was out of our control," the statement read.

Weather? Delta seemed to manage to make the flight. Even if weather was an issue why did Delta make the extra effort and AA threw up the white flag? If Delta was able to wait and work around the weather then AA could have done the same. I doubt weather played a major role for AA to go this route. Shame on those who are now running this low class airline into the ground.

Sometimes I wonder how some of you work for an airline and still don't understand that "canceled for weather" doesn't necessarily mean weather at OKC (not TUL, for those who didn't read the article).

Presumably a DFW-OKC-DFW or ORD-OKC-ORD turn got canceled due to weather at the hub, canceling the inbound leg for their outbound.

The charter was operated by Endeavour Air. In all my yrs I only seen Mainline doing charters. With Endeavor Air E175 to the rescue on DL behalf Im happy for those kids to enjoy their trip

I had heard that due to the severe storms in the midwest the original flight cancelled which in turned had a trickle down effect. But my quest wld be wasnt there another jet that cld have filled in?

Last edited: