Delta starting DTW-MUC and MSP-FCO

DTW-MUC makes sense - I have to think there's a fair degree of auto industry related traffic. About half the manufacturing plants for VW/Daimler/BMW seem to be within about two hours drive of MUC, and I imagine there are quite a few suppliers in the region as well.

Less convinced about MSP-FCO. FCO tends to be more tourist driven than anything else. MXP is where all the business traffic seems to be.

Reactions: 2 people
this is great news.... DL hasn't diversified its German route network in years and this is a very logical market.

FCO always does well and it is seasonal. DTW-FCO has operated for years and it is still seasonal.

The strong dollar/weak Euro and cheap fuel has made TATL travel very profitable in the summer. It just has to be pulled down soon after Americans stop traveling to Europe.

Kev3188 said:
I have to think FCO will be packed. Not sure about MUC?

I assume these are going to be seasonal?
I thought the next MUC flight would come from JFK but I guess DL doesn't want to fight it out with Star Alliance.
But as E said with all the auto related traffic I can see it working.

Delta has been trying to add more capacity into MUC for a while but hasn't figure out a profitable way to do it. IIRC they have tried CVG-MUC and ATL-MUC 2x daily.

With DTW-MUC being 764 I bet ATL-MUC goes from 333 back to 764.  

eolesen said:
DTW-MUC makes sense - I have to think there's a fair degree of auto industry related traffic. About half the manufacturing plants for VW/Daimler/BMW seem to be within about two hours drive of MUC, and I imagine there are quite a few suppliers in the region as well.

Less convinced about MSP-FCO. FCO tends to be more tourist driven than anything else. MXP is where all the business traffic seems to be.
Thats the point with FCO. They will fill it (and probably profitably) in the summer. Drop it in the winter where it would burn money. 

Delta is/was adding ATL-FCO #2 in the summer. I am not sure if that is still the plan or if MSP-FCO will replace. 

ATL-MUC is scheduled for a 333 in the future as it is.

Italy is a huge US tourist destination. DL operates a greatly reduced schedule to Italy in the winter compared to the summer.

I believe ATL-FCO is coming even with the new MSP-FCO flight.

remember we talked about potential changes in the Skyteam alliance down the road with ownership changes of Alitalia? this could be just the first step. DL is already the largest US carrier to Italy in the summer by a wide margin... it is just not a year round kind of thing.

WorldTraveler said:
ATL-MUC is scheduled for a 333 in the future as it is.

Italy is a huge US tourist destination. DL operates a greatly reduced schedule to Italy in the winter compared to the summer.

I believe ATL-FCO is coming even with the new MSP-FCO flight.

remember we talked about potential changes in the Skyteam alliance down the road with ownership changes of Alitalia? this could be just the first step. DL is already the largest US carrier to Italy in the summer by a wide margin... it is just not a year round kind of thing.
Summer equipment right now is basically meaningless. 

I can't see Delta adding that much capacity in the market. 

DL 130/4 Dec ATL-MUC is scheduled to operate with a 333.

it is a 764 today.

that is an increase in seats going into the winter.

WorldTraveler said:
DL 130/4 Dec ATL-MUC is scheduled to operate with a 333.

it is a 764 today.

that is an increase in seats going into the winter.
okay cool. 

Has nothing to do with what I said. 

In the summer when DTW-MUC starts I expect the 330 to be moved and the 764 to go back to ATL-MUC. Gets the 764 for the DTW-MUC flight (and pilots) and isn't as large of an increase in seats. 

I understand MUC is going 333 for the winter. 

Reactions: 1 person
topDawg said:
okay cool. 

Has nothing to do with what I said.
Agreed. He responded with a non-sequitur (a completely irrelevant response) to a post of mine a few hours ago as well. Wonder if he's having a medical problem?

Reactions: 2 people
I'm having no problems.

DL is adding seats to MUC in the winter, which is counter to what someone else posted. and adding even more in the summer of 2016.

even if DL uses a 764 for both MUC flights in summer 2016, it is a step up from the present.

DL is clearly serious about expanding Italy and Germany.

eolesen said:

Great to see DTW getting new routes.
Agree about MUC.and the auto industry related traffic. 
For FCO, I would imagine that having AZ as a partner might help the route a bit.

actually, DOT data shows that the majority of traffic on DL's FCO routes during the summer is local FCO only. Given that the demand is predominantly US point of sale, DL has the advantage in selling as well.

In comparison, it is noteworthy that from many European markets, DL has the advantage in point of sale from the US while AF/KL has the advantage in point of sale from Europe. The UA/LH partnership produces very similar results. The advantage that CDG and AMS have is that they are geographically well suited to distribute traffic throughout continental Europe and in some cases the UK.

DL and UA have similar average fares from Germany which is notable since the carrier with a JV partner in a country usually has a fare advantage. UA has a share, but not fair, advantage to/from Germany.

The markets where DL does well in Germany decades after its hub there are markets where there is strong US market interest and where German businesses have strong business interests in key Delta markets in the US.

I suspect there is also a certain strategic element to DL's additions relative to continued network optimization by US carriers post consolidation.