Delta supports illegal immigration-Boycott Delta...

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course it fits. this is airline forums, is it not? every topic ends up involving labor discussions, does it not?

the NRT hangar fits that reality.

Glenn Quagmire said:
I get it now. Delta is bringing Mexican illegals into NRT to work in a new hangar.

Kevin Bacon.

I'll see your six degrees and raise you one:   :)

Kevin Bacon starred in "Taking Chance"--> That film used extensive footage of both NWA A/C and employees--> NWA built a huge operation in NRT (and Asia)---> DL merged with NW as a way to get the foothold in the Pacific they never could've via organic growth--> as part of that, DL also gained an extant MTX operation, and is now adding onto that with opening of this hanagr.

Boom. 

except that DL is using legal labor... presumably Japanese with some US folks dropping in every now and then.

can you confirm the nationality and work status of those who work in DL's NRT maintenance facility, Kev?

WorldTraveler said:
can you confirm the nationality and work status of those who work in DL's NRT maintenance facility, Kev?
I could probably hazard a guess, but that would involve me caring.

P.S. I see you stopped referring to me as "Kevvie." How thoughtful.

WorldTraveler said:
except that DL is using legal labor... presumably Japanese with some US folks dropping in every now and then.

Not to sound racist but you generally see nothing but Asians working in the Delta line stations in Asia. For the most part, however if something big happens someone state side will be taking a field trip.  

WorldTraveler said:
of course it is all a deflection when YOUR SIDE has to deal with the reality that DL employees make more money than their peers at other airlines. DL employees don't pay union dues and they are getting profit sharing in far larger quantities than any other carrier.

and since every thread on this forum turns into a labor discussion, perhaps you can explain what is going on with DL's "new" hangar at NRT.

for supposedly dismantling and outsourcing maintenance, this seems like a move in the opposite direction. and certainly counter to the notion that DL is dismantling NRT.
none of this has to do with question Kev asked you but

Its a line hangar. No extra people. All it means is now if they do an engine change they can do it inside not on a ramp. So this has nothing to do with outsourcing. No work is coming in-house in NRT. All it means is they won't be renting a hangar bay from ANA or JAL if they really needed one. 

And in all honesty I am a little shocked NW didn't also have a hangar in NRT for drop in stuff. 

Reactions: 2 people
I would expect to see Asians working in a DL Asia operation with an occasional American popping in. I would also expect they are all legal.

I didn't really guess DL was doing more maintenance work at NRT just because of the hangar but the question is why DL bothered to rent one now if they are on the verge of unwinding NRT as a hub which would involve aircraft just turning around and going back to the US and why NRT got a hangar and a whole lot of much busier airports including JFK don't have one. it would seem that the terms must be pretty good.

of course the real answer may be that DL isn't really going to completely unwind NRT as a hub the way some people think.

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
of course the real answer may be that DL isn't really going to completely unwind NRT as a hub the way some people think.
Unless fuel prices continue their downward slope, I don't believe that nonstops from the USA to far-flung Asian destinations will ever be viable. By far-flung, I'm referring, obviously, to places like SIN, BKK, KUL, etc.

For UA and AA, their immunized joint venture partners handle connecting passengers over NRT/HND to those destinations.

As the odd man out in Japan (meaning no joint venture partner), DL either continues to fly from NRT to those far-flung destinations on its own metal or it abandons them and connects passengers to JAL or ANA in Tokyo for the last Asian leg. Or DL finds a Japanese codeshare partner among the LCC crowd and maybe forms an immunized joint venture.

Other possibility is that DL and KE resolve their differences and form an immunized joint venture and use ICN as the substitute for NRT. DL would still focus on O&D traffic to Japan but would then cooperate with KE to carry passengers to those far-flung destinations.

Until one of those alternatives becomes reality, I suspect that DL will keep a downsized NRT hub operation.

it's also possible that DL keeps a NRT hub because it makes sense to do so, even if on a smaller scale.

And IIRC, UA still serves SIN but dropped BKK... neither of which were served nonstop from the US.

I still think the possibility exists that DL and KE will figure out it is worth their while to form a JV... and it is just as possible that DL could in time create one with China.

WorldTraveler said:
I would expect to see Asians working in a DL Asia operation with an occasional American popping in. I would also expect they are all legal.

I didn't really guess DL was doing more maintenance work at NRT just because of the hangar but the question is why DL bothered to rent one now if they are on the verge of unwinding NRT as a hub which would involve aircraft just turning around and going back to the US and why NRT got a hangar and a whole lot of much busier airports including JFK don't have one. it would seem that the terms must be pretty good.

Delta isn't going to stop flying NRT-BKK/SIN/GUM/MNL/SPN/ROR because they would fail from the US. 

but even if they do cut out the point to point flying Delta will still have flights to NRT from ATL/JFK/MSP/DTW/LAX/SEA/HNL. Opening a line hangar in NRT is very logical even with the draw backs in flying.

and Delta doesn't have a JFK hangar for two reasons, 1) they are hard to find that are in good shape. 2) cost, when you do find one in good shape it will cost a ton of money to rent.

BOS serves as JFK's hangar. If a hangar is a much have in JFK they can rent space from AA easily.

I don't know if United is still leasing the Pan Am hangar or not. That would be the only real option Delta has. (IIRC TowerAir is still, AFAIK, full of stuff from 9/11) However I have heard that United let the hangar get into pretty bad shape. It would need a new roof for sure.  

I know about the whole JFK hangar situation. I'm impressed that Tech Ops does as good of a job in NYC w/o one. It's no easy task.

I also agree that those who think DL's operation in Tokyo will shrink will probably be surprised. I have long said and still believe that DL can rescale the Tokyo operation to optimize connections for the size of the market but still have a viable hub even if a number of markets don't flow over NRT but instead on nonstops or potentially over other Asian hubs as part of future DL partnerships.

Also, don't underestimate the power of new technology aircraft to make new nonstops work that don't work w/ existing aircraft now.

Look back at what the 767 has done on the Atlantic and even the 777 on the Pacific I think you'll get an idea of what new aircraft like the 787 and 350 can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.