Delta to cut mgmt. employees

robbedagain said:
of course the mgmt. peeps would get nice buy out packages    but when it comes to slashing other positions  its tough $h!t
What other positions? Or are you just lumping DL in with other airline?

metopower said:
They are not. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Thanks for clarifying.

For the record, I don't want to see anyone lose their job. Ideally, this latest early out will work for many of those affected. It would also be nice to see some of those people land some of the open spots we have in other departments. I get that an accountant moving to, say, the ATO is highly unlikely, but still...

Reactions: 1 person
Meto, basically when any airline cuts mgmt always has nicer move packages. Or better buyouts. But the real workers, the front line folks don't get that luxury. Just sayin.

Trying to compare buyouts for a merger and buyouts for "business as usual" is a slippery slope. Different drivers entirely.

700UW said:
All PIT and PHX employees got moving packages.
The operational folks did, and so did a few of the management jobs that moved, but don't pretend that everyone working in PHX or PIT got moved to FTW. AFAIK, there are still about 1,000 heads in IT and accounting/receivables/payroll left behind in PHX from what I recall. I've also yet to see evidence AA did layoffs or early outs for management in the past 24 months, even as functions were being consolidated -- I know too many people who would have taken them.

Instead, they're relying on cultural and geographic attrition -- as the "new AA" culture takes over, "old AA" people are getting frustrated and leaving, and a fair number of "old HP/US" folks are apparently not interested in moving to TX, so no need for early outs if attrition is running high enough. Apparently it is. AA's job pages show lots of jobs in both locations.

I had some meetings at UA while I was still doing consulting, and took a different approach than DL or AA did, in that they consider HOU an extension of HDQ and are still hiring in HOU (just look at their careers page). As of 18 months ago, UA still had two office buildings in downtown HOU (ironically, one of them right next to the Enron tower). I don't think that's changed, but someone can correct me if they want. UA also had a lot of attrition during the consolidation, in that a lot of "old UA" folks didn't want to make the move from working in the suburbs to working downtown, and "old CO" people didn't want to move their families from TX to IL (can't blame them, either).

Since DL is so far past the consolidation phases, there's really no way to spin this as anything more than trying to force some attrition where it hasn't been happening naturally at the rate DL would like to see. So they want to clean out the cupboards with a garage/tag sale. Whatever works.

I also find it interesting to hear DL say they're trying to reduce costs right after giving sizable raises. It's probably not even remotely connected, yet the perception around the timing of the two events can't help but raise a few eyebrows.

jcw said:
Exactly - maybe just do a 10% raise and keep everyone and let things go through attrition - however I'm sure there will be more shoes to drop due to the raises - the drastic increase in costs have to come from somewhere
How 'bout raises come from record profits? DL is not the first company to realize they're top heavy in the management dept! Hell, just from what I personally see, there are too many Docker wearing/ Clipboard carriers walking around to begin with.....jmo.
While I don't like to see ANYONE lose a job, why are you pro union peeps concerned? They are part of the EVIL corporation, after all or is it you just like to spread ANY negative news about said EVIL corporation?

as a pro union   southwind  Im not personally concerned  given its mgmt.   though I do not like to see peeps get laid off either   but if they can swipe money out of employees pockets quickly  and throw them to the streets quickly  then the same should be applied to mgmt. as well    as for what DL is doing, I do not know what strategy their doing by letting go of the mgmt. personal   

robbedagain said:
of course the mgmt. peeps would get nice buy out packages    but when it comes to slashing other positions  its tough $h!t
the packages for DL mgmt. personnel are the exact same packages as for all other DL employees.

just as DL has the same pass benefits for mgmt. and fronline employees.

and on and on.

This mgmt. class envy which you and others see exists at airlines that build walls between mgmt. and frontline personnel.

It is beyond ironic that the pro-union peeps are all wrapped up about natural attrition that is going on in mgmt. ranks while unions with CBAs are cutting frontline jobs and outsourcing work.

DL is cutting mgmt. jobs because mgmt. personnel have to prove that they can produce at an acceptable level and the simple fact is that in a company that has thousands of people in mgmt./merit jobs, there will be some that have to be tapped on the shoulder and told them aren't cutting it.

Any company that allows people to hang on without producing at acceptable levels invites mediocrity which is the opposite of what DL is doing right now.

Kev3188 said:
Not a whole lot of specifics yet, but still sh*tty news. Guess we know how at least some of these base rate increases are being funded...

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2810936-delta-set-to-cut-jobs-among-its-office-workers?dr=1#email_link
If it makes the airline lean and mean good 

if its more DGSing as i expect its sad. 

WorldTraveler said:
DL has often accompanied early out packages with plans to shrink the frontline workforce.

The mgmt. cuts are tied more to the early out package than to the fact that other people will get raises.

Not everyone ends up in the top categories on DL's evaluation process. If they did, then the process isn't realistic or accurate.
FIFY. 

Merit people get chopped without packages. It might be via attrition but Delta will let them go too. 

WorldTraveler said:
and all DL mgmt. people have the option to accept a package if they choose to take it.

and DL and NW employees who were involved in the merger consolidation process ALSO got moving packages.

there is nothing any different about what DL is doing that hasn't occurred elsewhere.
Uh, Delta doesn't offer moving packages to anyone. 
Also Delta hasn't said if they will offer early outs or not. 

so what are you talking about? either way you are wrong. 

metopower said:
So DL is going to reduce management by early outs. And Kev and the unionistas are complaining? Glad they're looking out for the other side too.
uh. yes 

a lot of people don't enjoy seeing people lose their jobs. 

I hope you didn't mean this the way it sounds meto. (and FWIW generally these cuts aren't people frontline want to see go. I can promise it won't be effecting the people who make the big big money.) 

jcw said:

Exactly - maybe just do a 10% raise and keep everyone and let things go through attrition - however I'm sure there will be more shoes to drop due to the raises - the drastic increase in costs have to come from somewhere
Or we, as labor, stop thinking concessions when the companies are making more money than God are okay?

If this is how we think in the profitable years we are going to get raped when the bad years come back.  

There is a 55 point package on the table for ALL DL employees right now.

and DL mgmt. has been cut in the past when DL did not cut frontline employees.

FACT.

DL has pushed mgmt./merit packages out without a package and can but they often try to incentivize people to leave.

WorldTraveler said:
There is a 55 point package on the table for ALL DL employees right now.

and DL mgmt. has been cut in the past when DL did not cut frontline employees.

FACT.

DL has pushed mgmt./merit packages out without a package and can but they often try to incentivize people to leave.
wrong again.