Delta to discontinue ATL-Dubai Flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kev3188 said:
yeah she is a dumb person 

"But hang on a moment… how many flights do Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways operate to Atlanta? The shocking answer is: zero. So Delta has exclusivity on Atlanta-Dubai, yet apparently can’t make a go of the route. How so?"

Hi its called feed. When DL started DXB EK had flights to JFK. Pretty sure that is it. 
Since then EK is on 10-12 cities plus UA on IAD-DXB. 

Atlanta O/D alone isn't going to sustain a flight to DXB. When the major and largest markets have non-stop flights the high yielding PAX generally aren't going to take the one stop. Not only that but its not like DXB is some super high O/D city to the US. Its not that large of a city IIRC. 

*note I didn't even talk about QR/EY that are also growing like wild fire. 

Reactions: 1 person
topDawg said:
Atlanta O/D alone isn't going to sustain a flight to DXB. When the major and largest markets have non-stop flights the high yielding PAX generally aren't going to take the one stop. Not only that but its not like DXB is some super high O/D city to the US. Its not that large of a city IIRC. 

I also think that one of the major problems is that if one is connecting via DXB the fees + taxes are negligible, whereas if DXB is your final destination the fees + taxes are through the roof.  So you can see how it is structured to benefit EK and screw DL and UA and other carriers flying to DXB.

I'm not too surprised. UA just announced they're pulling down KWI and BAH, and I suspect its for some of the same reasons -- oil/gas traffic is way down, the war is winding down, and there's only so much traffic to go around when EK is able to throw lots of capacity into the market.

Plus, EK's level of onboard service is hard to beat for the price.

Service is not the problem. It is subsidies. And there are routes where DL could use the aircraft including to Europe and Africa just over the Atlantic

Reactions: 2 people
777 fleet already has some slack. 
My guess is that slack will be used to to cover 744 flying next year while waiting on the 350. Wouldn't be shocked to see a new China city from LA with some of the slack though. 

WT, extra TLV is planned on the ER last I saw.
agree.... DL uses 777ERs and LRs interchangeably on some routes and solely LR on others like SYD and JNB.

I'm thinking LAX-AKL makes good sense about right now. :)

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
Since when is the GREAT Cosmopolitan city of  Hot - Lanta  synonymous with  O + D traffic ?
I mean, we're not talking NYC/ORD/LAX or MIA  here !
Its in the top 10 cities in the US for O/D 

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:

I also think that one of the major problems is that if one is connecting via DXB the fees + taxes are negligible, whereas if DXB is your final destination the fees + taxes are through the roof.  So you can see how it is structured to benefit EK and screw DL and UA and other carriers flying to DXB.
exactly. 

WorldTraveler said:
agree.... DL uses 777ERs and LRs interchangeably on some routes and solely LR on others like SYD and JNB.

I'm thinking LAX-AKL makes good sense about right now. :)
While its true they can be interchanged Delta tries to keep the ERs at JFK. Makes parts easier. 

IIRC they have a spare Trent at JFK but not a GE90. (just an example of the parts thing) 

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
This is a BEAUTIFUL thing.  I hope Del  DUH  cancels Every interline agreement it has.  Don't just stop with AA and AS.
This is hilarious !

Hahahahahahaha  !!!
They haven't canceled the AS interline 
and technically it was AA who canceled (didn't re-new) the interline 

but at least you are good at having no idea what your talking about. 

There isn't a single US carrier international widebody flight that exists on solely local demand. Connecting traffic matters. US carriers do it predominantly in the US while EK does it at DXB

WorldTraveler said:
There isn't a single US carrier international widebody flight that exists on solely local demand. Connecting traffic matters. US carriers do it predominantly in the US while EK does it at DXB

Thanx  WT  for the  'Double Ammunition'.
I've be TOLD that  HOT-LANTA is in the top 10 for  O + D, and God Knows, DL connects zillions of passengers in ATL,  so this begs the question,...........WHY  Del  DUH  can't make a 'go' of the flight, (even on a reduced week basis)  ????????????

topDawg said:
yeah she is a dumb person 

"But hang on a moment… how many flights do Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways operate to Atlanta? The shocking answer is: zero. So Delta has exclusivity on Atlanta-Dubai, yet apparently can’t make a go of the route. How so?"

Hi its called feed. When DL started DXB EK had flights to JFK. Pretty sure that is it. 
Since then EK is on 10-12 cities plus UA on IAD-DXB. 

*note I didn't even talk about QR/EY that are also growing like wild fire. 

A MAJOR cry of  " B S "  !!!

As you deftly informed me, ....Hot-Lanta has ALL this  O + D traffic.  OK, I got it.
NOW,
Kindly Inform me, where do folks go to (Airport)  from,
JAX
CHS
BNA
Montgomery Al.
Birmingham  Al.
and ALL the militar bases in NC / SC...........if they want to go to DXB   ???????????????

(shitty attempt  @ a 'spin job') !!

Perhaps you can tell us why the great international mecca of MIA can't sustain service to FRA by its major hubbing airline there and the same reasons might apply.

Suppose the fact that LH and UA have nonstops from FRA to dozens of cities in the US including some on A380s might reduce the piece of pie which AA could get from MIA?

by the same token, ATL can't sustain a flight to DXB solely on the local O&D if all of the flow traffic is already being pulled off by other carriers from other top O&Ds.

The author of ATW that tries to argue that DL is playing route shenanigans because it doesn't have beyond DXB route capabilities is as equally misinformed as you are

"Atlanta Hartsfield is one of the largest and most successful US and global hub-and-spoke airports, but it doesn’t currently have any reach into the sub-Indian continent beyond Dubai."

The ME3 may exist by being in part replacement airlines for southern Asia where most of the countries, including India, have no strong global carriers but the reason for the declining fortunes of the US carriers in the Middle East is because the ME3 is adding service from so many cities in the US that there are few major US cities that have no service to one of the middle east hubs.

The issue is feed on one or both ends of US-ME routes.

and as Kev notes, there are places where DL will be able to successfully redeploy the capacity being pulled from DXB.

and as I have noted over and over again, carriers in other parts of the world are at far greater long term risk of failure on a large-scale basis than the US carriers are because of the ME3.

low fuel prices right now are making a lot of routes profitable that won't be at higher fuel prices which is also why the ME3 want to grow as quickly as they can now and use their government subsidies to offset their operating losses and grow traffic.

Best quote I've seen in the last two weeks: "the way DL treats its partners, who needs enemies?"

topDawg said:
They haven't canceled the AS interline 
and technically it was AA who canceled (didn't re-new) the interline
True on both counts, but interline agreements have expiration/renewal terms on them just like any other contract between two businesses does, and it's possible that the DL-AS agreement is tied to the marketing agreement between them that also forces the codewhoring to continue.

Once that agreement expires, the gloves will come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts