Delta To Issue Major Widebody RFP For 747/767 Replacements

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Looks like DL is going to have a lot of obligations, and you know who slammed AA for their future orders causing cash outlay and debt.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=%2Farticle-xml%2Fawx_03_11_2014_p0-671113.xml

Delta Air Lines plans to issue a request for proposals (RFP) for new longhaul aircraft that will replace all of the airline’s Boeing 747-400s and a significant part of the 767-300ER fleets.

The RFP will go out before the end of the month and Delta could decide before the end of the year. Amongst other types, the airline is showing a strong interest in the proposed Airbus A330NEO.

“I hope they (Airbus) do offer an A330NEO,” Delta CEO Richard Anderson told Aviation Week in Atlanta. “There is a huge need for a small widebody. We really need Airbus to step up and re-engine.”

Reactions: 2 people
so when dl does order theirs  itll cause no cash outlays then????   they seem highly interested in the A330 NEO   but they also say they wish airbus would re engine the 330

700UW said:
Looks like DL is going to have a lot of obligations, and you know who slammed AA for their future orders causing cash outlay and debt.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=%2Farticle-xml%2Fawx_03_11_2014_p0-671113.xml

I guess there aren't there any used widebody aircraft that DL can snag & waiting 'till 2015 for US's 767-200s is not an option.

Don't worry about the cash outlay and debt.  DL, the world's most superior airline, can finance it without any problems, unlike other inferior airlines ... ... ...

Reactions: 3 people
I find it a bit humorous that Anderson considers the 777X as too experimental, yet the C-Series (which has yet to gain a major customer) is still a viable option.

Reactions: 2 people
I mentioned several months ago that this was coming.

DL's interest in Airbus aircraft is undoubtedly driven by its complaints that the US subsidizes foreign competitors thru loans for Boeing aircraft by the ExIm bank.  Airbus might have a strong chance of future orders at DL until the issue is addressed.

No size of the order has been announced but even if it involves 70 or so aircraft over 5 years, that is comparable to what DL is spending on new aircraft today with the 739ER and new 333s which are expected to be paid for by existing cash generation. 

DL has previously said it is generating $5B in cash per year, has paid down extra debt, bought new aircraft. bought back stock, and reduced pension liabilities - and still is generating surplus cash.  DL has the ability to spend $2B or more on aircraft without taking on additional debt.    Neither AA or UA has yet demonstrated they are generating enough cash to cover their purchase obligations.

Whether DL goes with the 330NEO or not, it is a cheap option for Airbus to develop and something that puts the pressure on Boeing, esp. if the competition is the 787 which is a costly aircraft.  The 320NEO and MAX are both engine derivative aircraft that gain most of their cost savings from the engine.  DL apparently believes the value of new technology wings and fuselage isn't there even for widebodies at current prices. 

If the 330NEO is really a viable aircraft, it shoots the theory of needing an expensive rework of the wing which is what is involved in the 777X.  The value of increased performance comes as much from the engine relative to the acquisition cost as a whole new body option.

This statement also validates what I have also said regarding use of the 777 the way AA uses it

Anderson is pushing for a new 275-seat aircraft that would have a range of 5,000-5,500 naut. mi. He argues that “aircraft that underfly their range are uneconomical. You cannot make a 777 consistently profitable flying only East Coast to Europe. That would be routes 1,000 or 2,000 naut. mi. shorter than what it was designed for

DL's interest in the geared turbofan goes back decades. Bombardier's future as a planemaker will live or die based on its ability to produce a new generation aircraft.   The CR9 is just not a long-term competitive aircraft and they know it. But it is not viable at current prices.  DL is a tough negotiator and prices.

Reactions: 3 people
WorldTraveler said:
Bombardier's future as a planemaker will live or die based on its ability to produce a new generation aircraft.   The CR9 is just not a long-term competitive aircraft and they know it. But it is not viable at current prices.  DL is a tough negotiator and prices.
As long as Bombardier remains in the province of Quebec, the gov of Canada will provide all the subsidies it needs to survive.

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
Is there any chance at all that DL will consider 747-8i as a possible replacement for the 747-400? 
As an airplane geek and long-time admirer of the 747, I'd be happy if DL or UA would order a few, but almost nobody is buying the passenger version.   Not JAL, not BA, not QF, not CX.   LH ordered a few, but I can't name any other big 747 operators who have bought the 747-8.    

I'd say the odds are very slim that DL or UA buys the 747-8 unless fuel prices plummet and look to stay low for a long time.   Then all bets would be off and maybe even AA would rejoin the 747 club.    Since that ain't likely to happen, my guess would be "no."    

Reactions: 1 person
If Anderson waits just long enough and holds his cards close to his chest, he'll end up with the aircraft  D E L T A  needs at the price he wants to pay.  By playing the Airbus widebody against the Boeing widebody and keeping Bombardier in a holding pattern with their new narrowbody will only help in getting the new jets at a bigger discount. 

Reactions: 1 person
airlinelifer   i think youre right   that seems to be their strategy and it seems to have paid off    just look at the 717 for example

Just what everyone needs, more f'n airbii
...At least you're consistent. :)

I find it a bit humorous that Anderson considers the 777X as too experimental, yet the C-Series (which has yet to gain a major customer) is still a viable option.
Same here, though FWIW even at NW (yes, different times/network, etc.) he went to great lengths to explain why he preferred the A330 over the 777...

Latest posts