Denied First class

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/galleri...travdynlsec0145

myfoxdc.comA corporate executive says he was denied a first class seat on United Airlines because he was wearing a track suit, according to an exclusive story by myfoxdc.com.

Armando Alvarez said he wanted to use his miles to upgrade to first class on a flight from Dulles to Connecticut. Instead, the Best Buy vice president said the gate agent told him that he was dressed "too casually" for seating in first class, the story said. Alvarez has sent e-mails to United Airlines and the airline's board of directors, but he has not received a response from them, the story said.

http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/galleri...travdynlsec0145

myfoxdc.comA corporate executive says he was denied a first class seat on United Airlines because he was wearing a track suit, according to an exclusive story by myfoxdc.com.

Armando Alvarez said he wanted to use his miles to upgrade to first class on a flight from Dulles to Connecticut. Instead, the Best Buy vice president said the gate agent told him that he was dressed "too casually" for seating in first class, the story said. Alvarez has sent e-mails to United Airlines and the airline's board of directors, but he has not received a response from them, the story said.

Your info is incorrect, Mr. Alvarez did not want to use miles, this was a "Comp" UG to first class . Why not give it to the guy with the same status, but dressed better. I am tired of flying with the slobs who have invaded first class!

After investigating on Google and even UAL's own website I could find nothing on dress codes unless you are a non-revving employee or on a buddy pass. If UAL does indeed have a dress code for regular travellers in F then IMHO they need to do a better job of relaying it to passengers.

And my $.02 worth: a dress code wouldn't be such a bad idea whether it exists or not. I'm not talking about a full Armani suit for 1st but at least a decent polo shirt, khaki shorts and dress sandals at minimum. While not trying to be a snob it kind of gets tiring to see AC/DC t-shirts and ragged jeans and flip-flops in 1st class. I'm just saying...

If you pay for the seat then you have the right to dress how you want. Short of exposing something that shouldn't. If you earned upgrages or have enough miles to upgrade you should get upgraded. Those with the most miles pay the most.

The level of service & condition of the cabins just don't warrant any special dress. I never fly first anymore. The people I know that fly United on a regular basis tell me service sucks. Some would fly another airline if they weren't so deep into the mileage program.

Someone is from another planet if he thinks that a large company vice president on a short domestic flight shouldn't wear track pants. Track pants aren't as casual as shorts! What is the problem?

I was once sitting in First Class in 1997 on United that was 403miles long. The service back then included breakfast. No joke...somebody got on the plane, (727-200) sat in 3C in his flip-flops and sat down. After takeoff, when meal service started and the curtain was drawn, (I was in 4A, wife in 4B best friend in 4C and his significant other 4D) this guy refused breakfast, takes off his flip-flops, puts his feet on the bulkhead and proceeds to pull out a pocket knife, (again 1997) and then starts digging and flipping the toe jam out from his toes all over the cabin. The people in 3A/3B, asked to be reseated in coach with a new meal. The F/A explained there was only the meal he didn't eat, but SHE gave them her CREW meal, and reseated them right away.

I agree, it is time to return to some decent behavior in the sky.

Not all F/A's are bad, not all Pilots are bad, and not all Passengers are bad. But as for dress, well, look around, in the business world today, how many places actually expect much past pants and a shirt, and looking at some places, even that asks too much. I was helped by a person at Best Buy last night who had visible body piercing, cheeks, lip, tongue, nose, eyebrow...who knows what else was pierced.

So, what do you expect from Sr Mgmt from a company that hires that type of person to represent them in the store? I walked out, got in my car drove 30+/- miles and spent my money at Nebraska Furniture Mart on a new washer dryer.

Just as that person will never fly UA, again I will never shop his store again. Sad thing is, I don't even work for UA.

I know there is no real dress code for first or even coach these days. Delta has gone so far as to relax the nonrev dress code for all classes to not a bathing suit. I'm an aircraft mechanic. That is a dirty working class job. I grew up in a rural area. If you go to a wedding at home there is bound to be at least one guy wearing a ball cap and work boots.

In spite of that, my Mom raised me to look presentable when I go out in public. Track suits are for the gym or lounging around the house watching TV. If I am wearing sweatpants and find a need to got to WALMART, I change into jeans. I still wear a collared shirt to fly. I usually wear dockers also. This is from a guy that has like 300 t-shirts. If you want to be treated with respect, look the part.

I know there is no real dress code for first or even coach these days. Delta has gone so far as to relax the nonrev dress code for all classes to not a bathing suit. I'm an aircraft mechanic. That is a dirty working class job. I grew up in a rural area. If you go to a wedding at home there is bound to be at least one guy wearing a ball cap and work boots.

In spite of that, my Mom raised me to look presentable when I go out in public. Track suits are for the gym or lounging around the house watching TV. If I am wearing sweatpants and find a need to got to WALMART, I change into jeans. I still wear a collared shirt to fly. I usually wear dockers also. This is from a guy that has like 300 t-shirts. If you want to be treated with respect, look the part.
Good points!

If you allow bad behavior, slob atire, and slob attitudes, you will get more of it. The US today is a classic example of that. Walk through the mall. Fat slobs looking like they just got out of bed. Teenagers already obese, and once more, they don't even care. They actually think they look good. It's pathetic. But then again, with Obama-care, they don't have to worry about paying for their diabetes medications, supplies, and hospital stays. If you want to look at the decline of American civilization, you need go no farther than the malls and airports.

If you allow bad behavior, slob atire, and slob attitudes, you will get more of it. The US today is a classic example of that. Walk through the mall. Fat slobs looking like they just got out of bed. Teenagers already obese, and once more, they don't even care. They actually think they look good. It's pathetic. But then again, with Obama-care, they don't have to worry about paying for their diabetes medications, supplies, and hospital stays. If you want to look at the decline of American civilization, you need go no farther than the malls and airports.

My observation -- it wasn't the obese people with the shortest shorts coming off an aircraft, wearing sandal thongs and very skimpy and casual tank tops; or in winter, dirty, sloppy sweat suits that look like sleeping wear, or jeans with more holes than fabric. I consider that sloppy; and it has little to with size.