DFW Internet

Topcat187

Senior
Jun 25, 2012
I hear DFW got punished, and had the internet taken away. Im sure this will improve moral......

TopCat870 said:
I hear DFW got punished, and had the internet taken away. Im sure this will improve moral......
DFW has internet???????????????????????????????????????

bigjets said:
DFW has the worst numbers, but gets the most OT and the Internet?
Speaking of numbers...where will those DFW mechanics currently on the MIAMI bound 777 B Check wind up once the sunshine state gets that work?

TopCat870 said:
I would hope that you still have access to the AA Intranet. Do you guys really need access to the outside web for work related issues?

On another tangent, most companies have now gone to smart card access to any PC. They use ghost keyloggers for tracking. My recommendation to my employees is to use your smartphone for internet use on your breaks/lunch. Many people lose themselves when surfing the net and forget they are on a company machine. Just think of it like you are surfing the net with the results being displayed on the screen at Cowboys Stadium.

MetalMover said:
Speaking of numbers...where will those mechanics currently on the MIAMI bound 777 B Check wind up once the sunshine state gets that work?

MetalMover

If you are asking what shift they will be working they will have the option of working day shift or nights. The Day shift slots are mostly the "B" checks. 9am-530pm. First group supposed to arrive 9/15.

AMFAinMIAMI said:

MetalMover

If you are asking what shift they will be working they will have the option of working day shift or nights. The Day shift slots are mostly the "B" checks. 9am-530pm. First group supposed to arrive 9/15.
Sorry for the confusion....I was referring to the current DFW mechanics working the DFW B Check...What will happen to them AFTER MIAMI gets the check...

9-530 sounds nice, but that is TRAFFIC HELL!

bigjets said:
DFW has the worst numbers, but gets the most OT and the Internet?

Worst numbers for what?  Did somebody get a raise that we didn't hear about.   Yeah, last time I checked AA AMTs were the lowest paid in the industry, with the absolute worst benefits, and you're worried about numbers.  GMAFB!

Reactions: 1 person
Vortilon said:

Worst numbers for what?  Did somebody get a raise that we didn't hear about.   Yeah, last time I checked AA AMTs were the lowest paid in the industry, with the absolute worst benefits, and you're worried about numbers.  GMAFB!
Sounds like a bean counter.

Reactions: 1 person
MetalMover said:
Sorry for the confusion....I was referring to the current DFW mechanics working the DFW B Check...What will happen to them AFTER MIAMI gets the check...

9-530 sounds nice, but that is TRAFFIC HELL!

Management claims that there will be more maintenance brought in to fill the void.  Also Miami will only be doing a fraction of the B check cards that DFW was doing.  In addition, the 772 Interior check is returning to DFW after a failed 2 year experiment to outsource.  Word is, a Airbus interior check will be started at DFW as well.  Anyway, if all that stuff gets going - that's where the head count goes to fill the void.

Vortilon said:

Management claims that there will be more maintenance brought in to fill the void.  Also Miami will only be doing a fraction of the B check cards that DFW was doing.  In addition, the 772 Interior check is returning to DFW after a failed 2 year experiment to outsource.  Word is, a Airbus interior check will be started at DFW as well.  Anyway, if all that stuff gets going - that's where the head count goes to fill the void.
Sounds good.

Glenn Quagmire said:
I would hope that you still have access to the AA Intranet. Do you guys really need access to the outside web for work related issues?

I would have to say YES to your question.  We use outside web for many uses.  One big one used numerous times thru-out the day and each and every day is MBF searches...

Vortilon said:

What void? With the amount of OT there is no Void to be filled, maybe they can go home and see their families for a change.

NY is losing mechanics and Supervisors faster than they can hire them. The MTA is sucking AA dry, better pay and benefits. We are now hovering at around 300. Never remember it this low before, and not one of the headcount losses was due to a rif, all attrition, and I know of two more retiring this month but the younger workers are leaving faster than the older workers, my guess is resignations out number retirements by nearly 2 to 1. AA needs their synergies in a hurry, its the only leverage we got, I guess joining together two groups of old guys at least gets them stability, too bad the IAM already gave it away, good thing there aren't that many of them. 

IAM brags that they got 'job security" language, in lieu of a decent wage, what a joke. There really aren't any bodies out there any more and with over 70% of the workforce over 50, 35% over 60, they won't be laying anyone off, all that would do is permanently send away the very few young ones they have. Won't be long till they get us walkers with a rack for our tools and a stairclimber so we can get up the jet bridges  to do gate calls?! If it takes us 30 minutes just to walk out to the gate, and another five to climb the stairs they can't afford to run lean.

When Delta and NWA merged zero mechanics were laid off. When UAL and CAL merged zero mechanics were laid off, scores of other workers were though, and even when SWA and AirTran merged they kept all their mechanics. Only a fool would give up something for the hollow promise of Job Security, we are likely to be hitting Social Security before we see any benefit from "job security". We had job security for many years at AA, until we needed it then Jimmy Little rolled the date back so they could lay off as many as they wanted to. Take the cash, its harder to take that back. 

No doubt 700 will comment on how we need the protection of Unions like the IAM so we won't lose our jobs, that we should be grateful for bottom of the industry wages and job protection language when there hasn't been a significant mechanic RIF in five years and the supply is plummeting. 

Reactions: 4 people