DL adds new JFK, SLC-UK flights.

WorldTraveler said:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/routes-more-choice-across-atlantic-152100355.html

SLC-LHR and JFK-EDI flights start in Spring 2016.

interestingly, the SLC-LHR flights will be seasonal while it appears the EDI flights will be year round... or am I missing the seasonality on them?
not very clear on JFK-EDI.

Lot of capacity in the NYC-EDI market in the summer. 4x 757.

Kind of surprised to see SLC-LHR so soon after adding AMS. Hopefully SLC-NRT comes back one of these days with a 787.

Somethings don't make sense naturally, like (say) Ice Creme and VINAGAR.
When it comes to LHR and  DelDUH,  they're Odd bedfellows. Here's why.
(now if my info is incorrect, someone plz. advise)

DelDUH  has only 3 LHR flights(on DL Metal), out of the 10 Largest  US Cities.( NY/LAX/ORD/IAH/PHL/PHX/SAT/SAN/DFW/SJC )

2 LAX (which I thought I read that DelDUH was going to discontinue in the near future) and 1 insignificant 757 out of PHL.
In fact, you have to go down to the 18th largest city...DTW.....before you find DelDUH.

All this braggadocio about JFK, and Not ONE stinkin' flight to LHR on DL Metal.
Continues to appear to be a genuine # 3 legacy to me !

Reactions: 2 people

DelDUH  has only 3 LHR flights(on DL Metal), out of the 10 Largest  US Cities.( NY/LAX/ORD/IAH/PHL/PHX/SAT/SAN/DFW/SJC )

2 LAX (which I thought I read that DelDUH was going to discontinue in the near future) and 1 insignificant 757 out of PHL.
In fact, you have to go down to the 18th largest city...DTW.....before you find DelDUH.

your facts going into your analysis are incorrect so it isn't a surprise that your conclusion is wrong.

DL has 3 flights/day from JFK to LHR alone on its own metal.

and the size of a city has very little to do with the size of the market.

BOS is a far larger market to LHR than half of the cities you list above and DL is in that market with its own metal while AA and UA are not.

How could AA and UA not serve a city that is as globally minded on their own metal?

not very clear on JFK-EDI.

Lot of capacity in the NYC-EDI market in the summer. 4x 757.

Kind of surprised to see SLC-LHR so soon after adding AMS. Hopefully SLC-NRT comes back one of these days with a 787.
I doubt if you will see any new flights from NRT - it is headed to being a local market and a transfer point solely for those markets which cannot be served nonstop from the US for one reason or the other.

and there are clearly markets from Japan that continue to work well for DL... notably Palau where DL is increasing service this winter.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/08/26/dl-ror-jan16/

as for SLC-LHR, it clearly says that DL and VS recognize the power of the DL network to put both carriers in as many place as possible and that SLC is more than capable of serving multiple cities in Europe, even if on a seasonal basis.

EDI and much of northern Europe is highly seasonal but it is also precisely the kind of market where VS can help push traffic onto DL flights.

given that MAN just restarted under the DL-VS JV it is clear that DL likes what it is seeing with JFK-MAN or it wouldn't be moving as quickly as it is to add EDI.

NewHampshire Black Bears said:

I know the AA coolaid says that all the AA hubs and exhubs are the s**t but your list isn't remotely close to true. 

The busiest LHR-US routes last year were JFK/LAX/EWR/ORD/MIA/SFO/BOS/IAD/DFW/IAH. (in that order) 

between Delta/Virgin they cover all but DFW/IAH. 

and yes Delta has 3x daily JFK-LHR. 

and AA/BA doesn't serve DTW, MSP, or SLC and AA metal is in far fewer of those markets than DL is in.

To argue that AA is somehow superior even though it serves fewer markets leaving the rest to BA while excluding the markets that VS serves in a JV is the height of stacking the deck only to be blown away by the argument that you just created.

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
and AA/BA doesn't serve DTW, MSP, or SLC and AA metal is in far fewer of those markets than DL is in.

To argue that AA is somehow superior even though it serves fewer markets leaving the rest to BA while excluding the markets that VS serves in a JV is the height of stacking the deck only to be blown away by the argument that you just created.
AA 
CLT
PHL
DFW
ORD
MIA
JFK
RDU
LAX 

DL 
ATL
DTW
MSP
JFK
BOS
PHL
SEA
SLC

huh.... looks like a tie to me..... 

thank goodness that US bought AA so US could push AA into a tie with little Delta that has been serving LHR only since the merger compared to AA's decades long there.

probably because you are so fixated on thinking that LAX is the end all and be all of airline existence

I can't seem to find AA in BOS - a route that AA once flew, one in which AA had to give up a slot in order to get its JV with AA approved, and which DL now serves and AA doesn't. And DL likely will permanently claim that slot.

DL is doing the same thing with PHL which along with EWR means DL is the only US carrier that operates its own metal on longhaul int'l routes from another US carrier's NE hub just as DL does from ORD even on a seasonal basis.

You can't argue how bad it is that DL doesn't serve LAX under a JV without admitting that the same JV arrangement means that AA doesn't have its own metal in some key markets, including any of DL's own hubs while DL does serve AA's key markets not only with its JVs but also with its own metal.

and if LAX is such a bellwether market, then why is AA not adding LAX-HND, a market that DL serves ALONGSIDE LAX-NRT even though AA was so hot to pry that authority from DL?

meanwhile, DL is adding more and more service to the UK and putting DL/VS flights closer to more markets and directly challenging AA/BA as no other US carrier has done.

It's also noteworthy that little ole SLC will now have 3 longhaul int'l flights despite overflying a dozen other DL/VS gateways to get to all of them. SLC is a whole lot more powerful as a hub that a lot of people here ever admitted.

and DL's addition of EDI service says that the list of secondary markets with DL/VS in the UK will continue to increase precisely because of the DL/VS JV.

some people chose to argue that DL is insignificant because they don't serve some routes that are not in the thread title while they themselves are comparing DL to AA.

And whether it is explicitly said or not, DL has done an outstanding job of expanding its network in the UK including via the JV but also on its own metal to a point which few people could have imagined just 6 years ago when DL started LHR service.

once again, go back and look at what DL and NW even on a combined basis flew to the UK at the time of the merger and then look at what DL has even on a standalone basis apart from the VS JV and DL has done more to close the gap with AA and UA in the UK between AA and UA - and DL has had far less time serving LHR, the largest market, than those two have

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
I can't seem to find DelDUH.. in LAX.   ????????????
You also aren't very good at speaking like a normal person. Delduh? you should grow up a little.

and Delta is cutting LAX-LHR. Did LAX-LHR all of a sudden become the most important market pair in the world?

Reactions: 1 person
just curious regarding the SLC-LHR   not sure it will do well when compared to JFK    I realize 2 different markets but SLC to LHR??? 

Latest posts