DL announced another $1 billion plus NET profit

I suspect the lower cargo numbers are because cargo yields are down and it is simply not worth carrying as much cargo at those yields. Other carriers are not decreasing their cargo loads so I suspect it is an intentional strategy on DL's part.

but, meto, are you seeing more flights at MTOW with passengers and cargo than in the past?

WorldTraveler said:
I suspect the lower cargo numbers are because cargo yields are down and it is simply not worth carrying as much cargo at those yields. Other carriers are not decreasing their cargo loads so I suspect it is an intentional strategy on DL's part.

but, meto, are you seeing more flights at MTOW with passengers and cargo than in the past?
cargo is last . on ulh flights we usually only take standby cargo . 

actually, aren't non-revs last. DL will take revenue cargo before it takes non-revs.

and my question is still do you see more completely full flights than in the past? DL flies some very long flights but that hasn't really changed in the past year. DL's cargo performance is compared to a year ago.

I do know that there are some TPAC routes operated on smaller twins that are taking payload restrictions and one of the justifications for used 777s could be that they can carry cargo that 767s and 330s cannot. If a 777 can't carry the cargo, it is not likely going on any aircraft on the same route, right?

but, DL's longhaul network is essentially unchanged year over year - which is why I asked if you are seeing anything different this year than in the past.

Depends on the city pair and the timing on what comes last. The joke is that there is no money in cargo and I have not seen any change in that thinking .

Hmmm.
Trans Pacific.....# 's......' DOWN '  !
Trans Atlantic....# 's......' DOWN '  !
(domestic...' up '.  No surprise there)

NO mention of  SA  #'s  ?   Does  Del - DUH  actually fly thier own metal to SA ? (I haven't checked out a Del - DUH timetable lately).

If memory serves me correctly,( of the Big -3 ) Del - DUH was the LAST to fly to LHR
if memory serves me correctly, ( of the Big - 3 ) Del - DUH was the LAST to cross the Pacific (NRT). 

Reactions: 1 person
South America is under Latin America. It was actually DL's best performing region on a RASM basis.

And DL started service to Asia on its own metal on the same day that they merged with Western which IIRC was April 1, 1987 on ATL-PDX-NRT which UA abandoned as part of its Pan Am Pacific asset acquisition.

AA started DFW-NRT service about the same time but I don't think it was much if at all before DL.

AA and UA both bought TW and PA rights to LHR; AA and DL both started LGW service about the same time as well.

DL's system RASM change is likely to be the best of the big 3 which are all heavily weighed down by int'l performance.

Reactions: 1 person
the article cites what I noted... soft yields mean that it is often not worth pursuing certain business whether it be cargo or passenger business.

Since DL is predominantly a passenger carrier, they adjust capacity based on passenger demand and fill cargo space where it makes sense to do so.

It will be worth seeing what AA and UA's financial statements show for cargo revenue. their traffic reports don't indicate that they are walking away from int'l cargo business to the extent DL is right now.

This process is cyclical and as the article notes, DL carries the most domestic cargo among US combination/passenger carriers. The growth of 767 service on the JFK transcons will show up in increased cargo volume by DL when data becomes available.

For June, DL carried 85% of all of the cargo between JFK and EWR to LAX carried by AA, DL, and UA while for both LAX and SFO combined it was 75%.

Reactions: 2 people
NewHampshire Black Bears said:
Hmmm.
Trans Pacific.....# 's......' DOWN '  !
Trans Atlantic....# 's......' DOWN '  !
(domestic...' up '.  No surprise there)

NO mention of  SA  #'s  ?   Does  Del - DUH  actually fly thier own metal to SA ? (I haven't checked out a Del - DUH timetable lately).

If memory serves me correctly,( of the Big -3 ) Del - DUH was the LAST to fly to LHR
if memory serves me correctly, ( of the Big - 3 ) Del - DUH was the LAST to cross the Pacific (NRT). 
Delta wasn't the last to fly to LHR. 

Delta had flights to LHR (via interchange) in the 1960s and/or 1970s. Oh and FYI Delta is the largest airline across the Atlantic. 

So once again you prove, You have no idea what you are talking about. Good job on being consistent

Anyways,

Once again, great numbers. I simply can't believe the margins of the airlines being posted right now. 
Delta employees, You are awesome! keep kicking ass and doing what you do, Kev, Meto, Baba, Southwind congrats on another great quarter. Hope yall have something good planned with that profitsharing money..... ;)  

Latest posts