DL asks for $5.9 Million for renovations.

Kev3188 said:
Only DL would equate getting in a car w/a stranger to "surprising and delighting" someone...
Compared to missing your connection and navigating an overly terminal I'd say so. It's not creepy, at least all the times I have flown FC on LH/LX at FRA, MUC, and ZRH they are very professional, I imagine DL would be similar. Sometimes there are other pax, other times not. From what it sounds like here this is a fluke when it happens, it is not expected and certainly is not marketed as such.

Josh

I'm sure there's some cross-marketing arrangement with Porsche, just as there is with BWM and LH, and I'm sure its a very nice experience...

Still, you can't ignore the appearance of spending money on fluffy things like this while simultaneously taking incentive money to renovate the HIB call center....  

Maybe DL needs to do a better job of explaining the incentive money to folks who notice the conflicting messages.  

This isn't exactly unique to DL, either.  I know that a couple other airlines have had the same issue come up, e.g. a parade of black cars is used for a board of directors meeting, or the meeting is held in a somewhat frivolous location like Paris, while at the same time they're expecting their managers and unions to consistently do more with less...

Reactions: 2 people
eolesen said:
Maybe DL needs to do a better job of explaining the incentive money to folks who notice the conflicting messages.
We should be so lucky. They've been messaging (as opposed to explaining) for so long, I'm not sure they know how to do it anymore?

Getting in a car with a stranger? Are you truly delusional, son?

These people spend thousands of dollars per year with DL. They value the personal service they get which is why DL is able to reward them. DL is anything by a stranger to them.

IN fact, Porsche's N. America headquarters are in Atlanta and DL has been connecting the German auto industry to the SE US for years.

What car DL uses is only a result of the relationships they have built.

The fact that customers pay DL enough money to get this kind of service and the company can still report billion dollar profits in one quarter says how well run the business is.

Global airlines offer that kind of service including UA. DL is offering world class products and services and customers pay for them which is why DL has a revenue premium to the industry.

other than a few malcontents on a stray internet message board, no one is questioning the renovation of the res office or DL's commitment to keep jobs in rural MN.

The nice thing about throwing rocks is that your own glass can get broken.

It's choice to be accusing DL of taking a few million from a state that offered it to keep jobs while forcibly taking money from employees and creditors in BK only to spend billions on new aircraft that will be used to lay off those employees, fatten executives who have led the company in one strategic failure after another, and is now subsidizing their presence in the Pacific with hundreds of millions of those cuts from employees and creditors.

Where is the explanation for AA employees of how their paycuts would be used and how well received were the union responses to management?

As much as you and Kev and a few others would like to paint it otherwise, DL is a very well run company as evidenced by the meteoric rise in DL stock over the past year - ranked with the companies across the board in the US.

DL's market valuation is set to cross the $25 billion level, far more than any other US airline and among the highest among airlines in the world.

And as much as Kev hates to think he is being left out of a good food fight, DL employees are content and support the company's efforts.

Seems like a nice service. I just wonder how many of these vehicles airports will allow on the ramp. Nothing like having another fleet of cars on a busy ramp during a push for excitement and increased risk.

If you really want to throw rocks, then look in the widget shaped mirror:

Delta spent $17.3 million on cash bonuses for about 55 top executives in 2002 and another $44 million on pension trust funds for 35 executives in 2002 and early 2003.
That this came right on the heels of $1B in pilot concessions.

And let's not forget the icing on the cake: Leo Mullin's $13M salary & $16M severance agreement. Say what you will about Parker and Horton's compensation (and severance?), but at least they stuck around thru the process. Leo bailed, and left the mess for his successor to clean up....

WorldTraveler said:
Getting in a car with a stranger? Are you truly delusional, son?

These people spend thousands of dollars per year with DL. They value the personal service they get which is why DL is able to reward them. DL is anything by a stranger to them.

IN fact, Porsche's N. America headquarters are in Atlanta and DL has been connecting the German auto industry to the SE US for years.

What car DL uses is only a result of the relationships they have built.

The fact that customers pay DL enough money to get this kind of service and the company can still report billion dollar profits in one quarter says how well run the business is.

Global airlines offer that kind of service including UA. DL is offering world class products and services and customers pay for them which is why DL has a revenue premium to the industry.

other than a few malcontents on a stray internet message board, no one is questioning the renovation of the res office or DL's commitment to keep jobs in rural MN.

The nice thing about throwing rocks is that your own glass can get broken.

It's choice to be accusing DL of taking a few million from a state that offered it to keep jobs while forcibly taking money from employees and creditors in BK only to spend billions on new aircraft that will be used to lay off those employees, fatten executives who have led the company in one strategic failure after another, and is now subsidizing their presence in the Pacific with hundreds of millions of those cuts from employees and creditors.

Where is the explanation for AA employees of how their paycuts would be used and how well received were the union responses to management?

As much as you and Kev and a few others would like to paint it otherwise, DL is a very well run company as evidenced by the meteoric rise in DL stock over the past year - ranked with the companies across the board in the US.

_>>DL's market valuation is set to cross the $25 billion level, far more than any other US airline and among the highest among airlines in the world.<<

And as much as Kev hates to think he is being left out of a good food fight, DL employees are content and support the company's efforts.
$25 Billion,,,so if the local gov't in Hibbing could'nt come up with the financing was Delta going to threaten them and leave?

Mullins' successors did clean the mess up quite nicely.  But first Mr. Grinstein didn't take a salary for a number of months (which also helped to restore morale with the employees), and DL did declare BK because of the previous admin's failures.

None of that changes that e res remodeling was a gov't loan that was mutually agreed to.

I don't know what DL would have done if they hadn't received the loan but MN thought it worth their while to make the loan.

You can beat the drum all day long if it makes you feel better.  DL got the loan and will remain in HIB for quite some time to come. 

At least Kev is objecting on the principle of those type of deals even if he cannot change that it was consensual. 

What's the matter, WT? A few pages ago you were trying to use me against Kev, and now you're trying to use Kev against me?

Please, we're a bit smarter than that.

Sure, DL may stay in Hibbing. Or, they could do like they did in MSP, and pay off the loans without penalty, leaving the res center behind like a pile of ore tailings.

Time will tell, and I'm sure when it does happen, you'll be crowing about how DL needed that added flexibility to pursue their strategic interests...

you can't seem to grasp that the State of MN either attached conditions to the loans that require DL to provide jobs or they are comfortable that they will get what they want. I tend to think it is the former.

No, in fact, you two are not.